PDA

View Full Version : 2008 outback engine bogging down

JAM2322
06-19-2018, 07:17 AM
I have a 2008 outback that ran fine for me all last year. This year i have noticed that when I first throttle up, the engine will start revving up and will hesitate a couple of times before getting up to speed. the same day i noticed this i had intended on pulling a skier. Under the load of pulling the skier, the boat would not get above 15 miles per hour even with the throttle all the way down. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Stazi
06-19-2018, 07:26 AM
There’s a ton of people that have written on the forum about this problem already this year and years past. There are many different causes/possibilities for the power loss.
Did you search these posts on the forum and see if you have addressed the usual suspects for this issue?

Typically and the most prevalent causes are:
Bad gas left over from previous year or from crappy gas station
Bad low pressure fuel pump
Bad high pressure fuel pump
Worn distributor cap and rotor
Worn spark plugs
Bad spark plug leads
Bad grounds on battery(s)

Have you checked any of these items?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastest1
06-19-2018, 12:34 PM
There’s a ton of people that have written on the forum about this problem already this year and years past. There are many different causes/possibilities for the power loss.
Did you search these posts on the forum and see if you have addressed the usual suspects for this issue?

Typically and the most prevalent causes are:
Bad gas left over from previous year or from crappy gas station
Bad low pressure fuel pump
Bad high pressure fuel pump
Worn distributor cap and rotor
Worn spark plugs
Bad spark plug leads
Bad grounds on battery(s)

Have you checked any of these items?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not forget the fuel filter.
It can cause the exact problem. Can you slowly raise the speed without a skier to full speed? It might be in a protective or limp home mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fastest1
06-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Do not forget the fuel filter.
It can cause the exact problem. Can you slowly raise the speed without a skier to full speed? It might be in a protective or limp home mode.

Sorry that was to JAM

zabooda
06-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Electronic ignition malfunction can do that also. Very unpredictable.

JAM2322
06-19-2018, 04:29 PM
I have not taken it up to full speed, but i have been close. After the slight hesitations when throttling up after idling past the no wake zone, I did take it up to about 25-30 mph with no skier in tow.

parrothd
06-19-2018, 05:03 PM
I have not taken it up to full speed, but i have been close. After the slight hesitations when throttling up after idling past the no wake zone, I did take it up to about 25-30 mph with no skier in tow.

Carb or fuel injection?

JAM2322
06-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Fuel injected

Darter
06-19-2018, 10:14 PM
I would start with the fuel filter. It's cheap and needs routine replacement anyway. I had the same symptoms and a new filter did the trick for me.

JAM2322
06-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Definitely some corrosion inside the distributor cap, so I plan to start with this and the fuel filter. Thanks for all the help. I hope this fixes it!