PDA

View Full Version : I HATE FATHER'S DAY- Need Help:(

flienlow
06-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Last fathers day....Ran the boat on some rocks. $8500 and 2 Months later back to boating.

This Fathers day. - Just installed brand new Ballast From WakeMakers, and a new 1617 Prop. Fun! Not quite....

My Fill port came loose on one bag. Didnt realize it. Completely swamped the Bilge. Transmission was spinning in water as well as the engine.

The Bilge pump didnt work.

I have multiple issues so I will ask one a time here.

Ballast pumps: Run for a second, then just shut off. Play with them a bit and they start working. Then stop. Most noticeable on Filling.

Bilge Pump. Not sure how many I have, but I believe just one where the V-drive trans is. - Nothing..doesn't work auto or manual.

Swamping the engine and transmission.- Water didnt make it past the head, but engine wasn't making any power. It wouldnt get past 3000 RPM when starting to pull up surfer. Perhaps plugs were shorting out??? This was when I noticed the issues of the bag.

I haven't looked in the trans yet. We limped the boat back and put it on the trailer.

Troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeepers
06-17-2018, 11:20 PM
Last fathers day....Ran the boat on some rocks. $8500 and 2 Months later back to boating.

This Fathers day. - Just installed brand new Ballast From WakeMakers, and a new 1617 Prop. Fun! Not quite....

My Fill port came loose on one bag. Didnt realize it. Completely swamped the Bilge. Transmission was spinning in water as well as the engine.

The Bilge pump didnt work.

I have multiple issues so I will ask one a time here.

Ballast pumps: Run for a second, then just shut off. Play with them a bit and they start working. Then stop. Most noticeable on Filling.

Bilge Pump. Not sure how many I have, but I believe just one where the V-drive trans is. - Nothing..doesn't work auto or manual.

Swamping the engine and transmission.- Water didnt make it past the head, but engine wasn't making any power. It wouldnt get past 3000 RPM when starting to pull up surfer. Perhaps plugs were shorting out??? This was when I noticed the issues of the bag.

I haven't looked in the trans yet. We limped the boat back and put it on the trailer.

Troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.

How’d it run with the 1617 prior to to water infiltration?

I installed a 1617 on my 08 LSV and it could not get passed 3000 rpms with full ballast. It was the 1617. Re-installed the 1847 and she ran like a champ again. I’m now using a 2315.

I guarantee it’s the 1617 prop. It’s a turd. Runs great without ballast, but with even partial ballasts it lugs. Have a prop shop re-pitch it for you to 1847 specs or if it will fit, trade it for a 2315.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flienlow
06-18-2018, 12:41 AM
How’d it run with the 1617 prior to to water infiltration?

I installed a 1617 on my 08 LSV and it could not get passed 3000 rpms with full ballast. It was the 1617. Re-installed the 1847 and she ran like a champ again. I’m now using a 2315.

I guarantee it’s the 1617 prop. It’s a turd. Runs great without ballast, but with even partial ballasts it lugs. Have a prop shop re-pitch it for you to 1847 specs or if it will fit, trade it for a 2315.

It ran good. And I have read all over the place the 1617 was the way to go. BUT....I think you may be correct unfortunately. I wonder if wakemakers will trade it?

twkoehn
06-18-2018, 01:21 AM
After talking to Nettles Props, I put an 1847 on my 2007 Mobius LSV and love it. Count me in as a +1 on the 1847.

GregInKS
06-18-2018, 03:28 AM
I dont understand the issues you guys are having with the 1617. It pulls like a truck for surfing...
Many many people on this forum will say the same thing.

GW@vineyardlake
06-18-2018, 07:45 AM
I also have the 1617 and over 4000 lbs. of ballast at times, and no problems with the prop/boat for surfing.

Darter
06-18-2018, 09:27 AM
The prop is the last thing I would be worried about right now. Start with ensuring no water in the engine oil or trans fluid.

Get a multimeter and start tracing the bilge wires to find the issue.

When those are good, move on to the ballast, with the prop last.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeepers
06-18-2018, 02:35 PM
It ran good. And I have read all over the place the 1617 was the way to go. BUT....I think you may be correct unfortunately. I wonder if wakemakers will trade it?

Wakemakers charges a $50 exchange fee.

Jeepers
06-18-2018, 02:41 PM
I also have the 1617 and over 4000 lbs. of ballast at times, and no problems with the prop/boat for surfing.

I was surprised as well. However, boat surged great with 1847, installed 1617 and just plowed water at 3000rpms and max throttle. Pulled 1617 and reinstalled 1847 and boat surged great!

Now I’m running the 2315 15” diameter and pulls like crazy with even more ballast and stays within wot rpms even fully weighted. Able to surf at 2500-2800 rpms VS 3000 rpms with 1847.

The 1617 didn’t work for me at all.

mikepo26
06-18-2018, 10:32 PM
ok so to your original issue, start with changing all the fluids that were affected, then new bilge pump, do compression test and leak down on engine. change plugs while they are out doing comp and leak down. engines are very simple overall keep them in operating temp and keep all their systems clean and separite from each other. a prop choice is irrelevent if you blow up the engine. whenever there is mods or repair work, double and triple check work. a 2$ hose clamp is cheaper than a reman indmar engine from bakes on line for 5000$ plus install and time off the water

flienlow
06-19-2018, 12:12 AM
UPDATE:

Checked Engine, and Trans fluid= All good no issues!!

Hit battery switch, put Bilge on Manual. No Work. Removed Bilge from housing. Started working. Dont know what this issue is? Stuck?

Turned the ballast pumps on, they work too. I cant figure out why they were not.

I did not start the engine, but Idling back to the trailer it ran smooth. I left the covers open and today was hot so hopefully any moisture evaporated, but still need to wet test engine.

The Prop: When I bought the 1617 I thought it was going to turn my Raptor 400 into a Cummins. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN :(
When heavily waited (Bilge full of water. It was no better than that 537 infact worse and wouldn't go over 3000 RPM. That has to be a huge load on the engine.

Another HUGE disappointment is the 910 ballast upgrade. its complete shit. With the delta, I couldn't get a surf able wake. On Top of that is the prop that sucks power out of the boat. I was going to sell this boat due to lake of surfablilty, but figured I would gamble $1000 to see if it would work. Having said that, I'm going to get with the Neighbor and see if we can tune it to more. But initial results SUCK.
Notes: I did have full ballast and 10 people on the boat. Perhaps it was just too much weight? As we shifted people forward it improved, but was still white wash and dipping the nose when coming of power.

Darter
06-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Sounds like testing the wiring is in order. You may have a bad ground or a broken lead.

Does the bilge pump work with 12v applied to the housing leads? Is there 12v from the boat wires at the bilge pump location?

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

Stazi
06-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Not sure why you would run either the 1617 or the 537 for heavily weighted conditions. You need to look at something along the lines of a 15x13 or 15x12 prop.

My buddy has an older LSV with a 325hp Indmar chev and with over 4500lbs of ballast and a wake shaper it is amazing! No magic sorcery involved.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180619/26e018199a0fc7fd76dec4cc42f1bba6.png

flienlow
06-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Not sure why you would run either the 1617 or the 537 for heavily weighted conditions. You need to look at something along the lines of a 15x13 or 15x12 prop.

My buddy has an older LSV with a 325hp Indmar chev and with over 4500lbs of ballast and a wake shaper it is amazing! No magic sorcery involved.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180619/26e018199a0fc7fd76dec4cc42f1bba6.png

Yeah, I thought it was the prop to go with. I think I need to put the 537 back on, and get a new prop.

So... Which prop should I get now??? What is the difference between the 5X13, 5X12 and 1847. There is also a 2315. I will go broke attempting to try them all.

PS. Boat back in the water late last night. Seem to run fine. I guess all is well. I will try to test again tonight.

Stazi
06-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I thought it was the prop to go with. I think I need to put the 537 back on, and get a new prop.

So... Which prop should I get now??? What is the difference between the 5X13, 5X12 and 1847. There is also a 2315. I will go broke attempting to try them all.

PS. Boat back in the water late last night. Seem to run fine. I guess all is well. I will try to test again tonight.

The ACME 1847 is a 14x14.25” prop. The pitch is 14.25” which really isn’t meant for heavily loaded conditions. The first number is the overall diameter of the prop (tip to tip) so 14”.

In your situation either the OJ 945 or ACME 2773 are going to be what you want to look for. Essentially a 15x13” prop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk