PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Capacities

jcarter20
06-14-2018, 07:04 PM
I just went through my 20 hour service on my 2018 Craz. I used the crankcase hose to drain the engine oil, sucked out the v drive oil and pulled the drain plug, and sucked out the transmission oil. I understand that there could be some residual oil left in the individual units, but what I added back seemed low on all three. I am fairly confident I got all of the oil out of the engine and v drive. I only added 7 quarts back to the engine, but the book calls for 8. I do not remember the exact capacities on the trans and v drive, but I measured what I sucked out and it was quite a bit lower than the book indicates. Has any one else experienced this? I only added enough back so that the dip sticks are at their full mark. I was shocked the the engine was a full quart lower than the book states. I will say, my previous 2 boats seemed to be the same way. I just wanted to get other opinions and see if you have had the same experience. And yes, I checked all the fluids after the engine was run and was hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody929
06-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Yep. I don’t recall in the oil, but I know both of my transmission units took way less than the book. I actually thought I was being conservative on the V drive, but even at that it was over filled (and this was while anchored in a cove). I drained it more than I intended, then filled slowly while measuring along the way.

c h r i s
06-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Curious, did you check the engine/prop shaft alignment at your 20 hour mark?

jcarter20
06-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Curious, did you check the engine/prop shaft alignment at your 20 hour mark?

Well I tried, but I could not figure out which part of the shaft was supposed have the .003” gap like the book says. I was actually going to call the dealer about that this weekend. The pictures in the book didn’t look like the shaft that I have. Maybe I am just an idiot and missing it, but my 2005 Supra was obvious. If anyone else checked theirs, I would love to see a picture of where it is.

Darter
06-15-2018, 09:45 PM
You're only going to get about half of the fluid out of the trans without truly draining it. Taking half out each time should be fine with shortened intervals.

For the engine oil, did you count the capacity of the filter?

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

jcarter20
06-15-2018, 10:13 PM
You're only going to get about half of the fluid out of the trans without truly draining it. Taking half out each time should be fine with shortened intervals.

For the engine oil, did you count the capacity of the filter?

I don’t know how the earlier models are, but the 2018 Craz has a cartridge type filter and it drains completely out at rest. According to the book, you should check the oil when the engine is warm and at rest for 5 min. I did that when it was in the water and it was completely full with only 7qt. Not only are the capacities different in my Indmar manual, but the part numbers for fluids don’t match the stickers on my Engine, v drive, or transmission. I went by the stickers on the units, and I confirmed with Indmar those were correct before I bought them.

Darter
06-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Ah, I didn't know those filters drained. On our van, it still has oil in the filter holder at rest.