PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Fusion RA70N zones

korey
06-12-2018, 07:19 PM
On the water this weekend I realized that the four cabin speakers in the boat are wired to separate zones, and they're completely non-intuitive. Zone 1 is the left front and right rear, and Zone 2 is the left rear and right front plus Tower speakers. I think the crossover is a mistake, but I would love to have a better division - Like all four cabin speakers on Zone one, and the tower on Zone 2. After looking at the manual for the radio, it doesn't seem like you can get all four channels powered by the head unit on the same zone. Am I interpreting this correctly? Looks like it's time for an amp!

Does anyone know what these Factory speakers are?

MLA
06-12-2018, 07:33 PM
If ALL speakers are powered on external amp, you can have 1 zone for tower and 1 zone for in-boats.

The on-boats area 6.5" Kicker marine OEM speaker.

stevemarich
06-15-2018, 01:38 AM
Interpreted correctly, you need an amp for the in boats, get your amp and may as well get some bow speakers at the same time, then you can do zone 1 cabins and sub , if you have or want, and towers zone 2

derekhtv
06-28-2018, 03:24 PM
I had the same issue in my Max. Literally just finished residing it all about an hour ago. 4 in cabins and the sub and zone 1 and the towers on zone 2. Don’t think I have it the best way right now as all 4 in cabins are running off of the head unit and towers and amp are off of amp.

Almost forgot, they had my towers running from sub out and not my subwoofer.

korey
06-28-2018, 04:59 PM
I had the same issue in my Max. Literally just finished residing it all about an hour ago. 4 in cabins and the sub and zone 1 and the towers on zone 2. Don’t think I have it the best way right now as all 4 in cabins are running off of the head unit and towers and amp are off of amp.

Almost forgot, they had my towers running from sub out and not my subwoofer.

so, did you just re-wire the four in-cabins? Like cut and splice, or was there somewhere easier to make the changes?

KnoxMojo
06-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Install another amp, run rcas, may need a converter from speaker wire to rca, problem solved and it will sound better.

derekhtv
06-28-2018, 08:27 PM
I reworded the 4 in cabins and they’re all running in series for the head unit for now until I get another amp. Switched sub and towers from the amp so that towers are in zone 2 by themselves and the sub is zone one with the cabin speakers(but from the amp of course. Will change again once I have another amp to run cabins off of.

derekhtv
07-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Have another question about all this. Have my sub coming from the “sub out” of the head unit. If I turn the sub level up from the head unit so I can actually get bass, it turns up the bass in all my speakers which makes the towers basically unusable. Is the only way to fix this to get an actual zone controller? Right now I am just having to turn my sub all the way down at the head unit.

MLA
07-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Are you sure the RCA and amps are configured correctly? The sub output level should not attenuate any frequencies, especially on any full range outputs.

jcarter20
07-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Did your boats not come with 2 amps? I have 6 cabin speakers and the sub running from the fusion amp. That is zone 1. Zone 2 is the (2ea) Rev 10s on the tower which is powered by a Wetsounds amp. The zone controller works great for that set up. If you are buying a new amp, I would suggest one that would power all the in boat speakers and sub. Then power the tower speakers separately. Also, I put my fusion amp on the “all” setting instead of the hi pass setting to allow base to come through the boat speakers also. From there I set the gain on each channel so that I can turn all speakers all the way up without distortion. It sounds good, but I am not impressed with the Kicker 6.5’s. They are on my list to replace some day. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derekhtv
07-19-2018, 11:22 PM
Mine only has one amp and Roswell towers instead.

MLA
07-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Mine only has one amp and Roswell towers instead.

Yes, but technically, you have two amps, one driving the woofer and one driving the tower speakers. So you need to be using the woofer output to the amp's woofer inputs and then the full-range outputs to the tower speaker amp inputs. Then theres a few setting son the amp(s) to get set correctly.

derekhtv
07-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Ok yes that’s how it’s wired now. Probably need to get the settings right on the amp then. I’ll mess with it some more.

Byezb
05-24-2019, 06:18 PM
So I just realized I have this same issue. I have a 2018 with about 20 hours on it. Boat came with only the four kicker cabin speakers. No bow, no sub, no tower. Over the winter the dealer added an Wetsounds htx2 amp and 2 8” icon tower speakers.

Now 3 cabin speakers and tower on on zone 2 and the other two cabins are zone 1.

Dealer says best fix is a new head unit. Current is the Fusion RA70 with only one rca output.

Do I have any other options? Goal is to get towers on their own zone.

Byezb
05-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Typo. Only 2 cabins and towers are on a zone.

korey
05-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Yep, you're the same as I was. My fix was to put the 4 cabin speakers on a 4 channel amp that runs off of one RCA. The factory speakers really wanted it anyway.

Byezb
05-24-2019, 07:07 PM
A second amp with one rca output?

MLA
05-24-2019, 09:06 PM
So I just realized I have this same issue. I have a 2018 with about 20 hours on it. Boat came with only the four kicker cabin speakers. No bow, no sub, no tower. Over the winter the dealer added an Wetsounds htx2 amp and 2 8” icon tower speakers.

Now 3 cabin speakers and tower on on zone 2 and the other two cabins are zone 1.

Dealer says best fix is a new head unit. Current is the Fusion RA70 with only one rca output.

Do I have any other options? Goal is to get towers on their own zone.

You need a new audio installer. New head will not fix your issue as you would still have 4 in-boats powered by the head, with 2 paired zone wise, with the tower.

You need ALL speakers powered by external amps. So you do not need a new head, just need to put the 4 in-boats on an amp.

Byezb
05-26-2019, 07:00 AM
Well it’s going back to the dealer after being on the lake for a day... But I agree I’ll take it somewhere else for the amp.

We had our first outing of the season and what a disappointing day.
- tower speakers that were added over the winter make a whining sound only when the engine is running. Regardless of volume.
- speedometer is way off. GPS shows 25, speedometer shows 5mph. Depth gauge was added over the winter
- lastly and most concerning is that we were taking on a fair bit of water from the drive shaft.

Hopefully these are easy fixes and can get the boat back soon

MLA
05-26-2019, 07:44 AM
Audio engine whine is usually due to incorrect wiring and sometimes excessive gain.

jimmsch
06-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Now 3 (actually 2) cabin speakers and tower on on zone 2 and the other two cabins are zone 1.

That up there is what I currently have.

4 in cabins and the sub are zone 1 and the towers on zone 2. Don’t think I have it the best way right now as all 4 in cabins are running off of the head unit and towers and sub are off of amp.

This is what I want to have

I reworded the 4 in cabins and they’re all running in series for the head unit for now until I get another amp. Switched sub and towers from the amp so that towers are in zone 2 by themselves and the sub is zone one with the cabin speakers(but from the amp of course. Will change again once I have another amp to run cabins off of.

How can I do it like this?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Here is the relevant page from the manual. Keep in mind this is a generic explanation drawing from the manual, not exactly how my boat is wired.

I think Zone 2 is identical to what I have with my tower speakers and rear R & L cabin speakers wired as it is shown. Tower speakers coming from amp.

My Zone 1 actual wiring is the 2 bow speakers and sub (sub is coming from amp). There is no amp on Zone 1 at the moment, and no funds to buy one.

It seems simple, but I wanna do it right so I ask you guys . All I really want to do is swap the rear R & L cabins from Zone 2 to Zone 1 so my towers are on a Zone all by themselves, and the 4 cabins and sub are on the other zone.
https://i.imgur.com/5OV5vIf.jpg

MLA
06-13-2019, 06:17 PM
@jimmsch

1st want to confirm which model head you have. 2nd, its important that ALL speakers be driven by an external amplifier.

jimmsch
06-13-2019, 06:24 PM
RA70N

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/stereo-units/ms-ra70n/specs

Look at tech specs and it shows that the unit has onboard (built in) amp. I realize this may not be as good as external amp, but the cabin speakers will never be cranked up high. They are for relaxing between sets.

MLA
06-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Every head unit has an on-board amp. it has too, or it would not be able to drive a speaker. Totally separate discussion from wanting in-boats and woofer on 1 zone and tower on 2nd zone.

There is no good way to configure the 2 zones without ALL speakers on external amps. External implies there is an internal.

jimmsch
06-14-2019, 06:49 AM
OK, but derek seems to have done it exactly as I would like.

4 in cabins and the sub are zone 1 and the towers on zone 2. Don’t think I have it the best way right now as all 4 in cabins are running off of the head unit and towers and sub are off of amp.

When you say there is no good way, it implies that there is a way.