PDA

View Full Version : Help! Moomba will not stay running

mstopher82
06-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased a 2011 Moomba XLV with a 325 Indmar assult. We test drove before buying and it ran great. 2 weeks later picked it up and went straight to the lake with the family. Stared up ran fine the first time but i only ran it for a minute or 2 and stopped to pick up a few more people. (8 total on the boat) Sat for 15 minutes or so and boat didn't want to start. Got it going and took off ran for maybe 10 minutes at 3/4 throttle and boat suddenly shut off. Checked kill cord all that was good. We sat for 15 to 20 mintues started rough but got going again and it suddenly died again. Took doing that 3 times before I made it back to the ramp.

Took it to Indmar mechanic that Monday. They looked at it said that they drove it several times and had no issues. I put it back in this Saturday and had the same issues. Boat starts great but will not resart after the first run. Ended up having to be towed back this time. This is a 2011 so the fuel pump and filter are located in the tank, and it's EFI so I find it hard to believe that it is vapor lock. I also ran the blower the entire trip, went as far as leaving the engine compartment open. It was 80-85 degrees on the water. Oil pressure good engine temp runs at 150, 90 octaine non ethanol from a very reliable station , no smoke what so ever, it just won't restart after running. The indmar mechanic said he ran it for 45 minutes with no problems. Any ideas? When it runs it runs great just won't restart after initial run.

Stazi
06-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased a 2011 Moomba XLV with a 325 Indmar assult. We test drove before buying and it ran great. 2 weeks later picked it up and went straight to the lake with the family. Stared up ran fine the first time but i only ran it for a minute or 2 and stopped to pick up a few more people. (8 total on the boat) Sat for 15 minutes or so and boat didn't want to start. Got it going and took off ran for maybe 10 minutes at 3/4 throttle and boat suddenly shut off. Checked kill cord all that was good. We sat for 15 to 20 mintues started rough but got going again and it suddenly died again. Took doing that 3 times before I made it back to the ramp.

Took it to Indmar mechanic that Monday. They looked at it said that they drove it several times and had no issues. I put it back in this Saturday and had the same issues. Boat starts great but will not resart after the first run. Ended up having to be towed back this time. This is a 2011 so the fuel pump and filter are located in the tank, and it's EFI so I find it hard to believe that it is vapor lock. I also ran the blower the entire trip, went as far as leaving the engine compartment open. It was 80-85 degrees on the water. Oil pressure good engine temp runs at 150, 90 octaine non ethanol from a very reliable station , no smoke what so ever, it just won't restart after running. The indmar mechanic said he ran it for 45 minutes with no problems. Any ideas? When it runs it runs great just won't restart after initial run.

Sounds like vapor lock to me. Next time it happens wrap the pump near the engine with a cold wet towel and see if that speeds up the restart. Also next time you take it out (hopefully in the morning before it gets too hot) try running it from dead cold for about 5-10 minutes, stop it and see if it restarts straight away. That should not be enough time to heat soak the engine bay. If it does restart, but then doesn’t after it gets all nice and hot, then this may add more credence to it being vapor lock.

Also could have some old bad gas left in it. Dump in a can of Seafoam and let that work through the system to see if it helps.

Another thing you can do other than dump cold water on the fuel pump when it does this is to relieve the pressure in the fuel rail but depressing the Schraeder valve to let the vaporized gas out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mstopher82
06-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Sounds like vapor lock to me. Next time it happens wrap the pump near the engine with a cold wet towel and see if that speeds up the restart. Also next time you take it out (hopefully in the morning before it gets too hot) try running it from dead cold for about 5-10 minutes, stop it and see if it restarts straight away. That should not be enough time to heat soak the engine bay. If it does restart, but then doesn’t after it gets all nice and hot, then this may add more credence to it being vapor lock.

Also could have some old bad gas left in it. Dump in a can of Seafoam and let that work through the system to see if it helps.

Another thing you can do other than dump cold water on the fuel pump when it does this is to relieve the pressure in the fuel rail but depressing the Schraeder valve to let the vaporized gas out.

Yesterday early afternoon I started it in the water, covered boat slip overcast maybe 80 out. Started right up. Let it idle a minute or so, put trans in nutral reved a few times and let go back to idle. Engine didn't even get to temp blower running and it would not start up a second time.

Smoothwater
06-11-2018, 04:58 PM
You need to make sure you have fire. A bad coil can work intermittently when they get warm.

996scott
06-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Yesterday early afternoon I started it in the water, covered boat slip overcast maybe 80 out. Started right up. Let it idle a minute or so, put trans in nutral reved a few times and let go back to idle. Engine didn't even get to temp blower running and it would not start up a second time.

I initially thought it was vapor lock as well but that doesn't sound like it.

5:00
06-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Could be the ECU. They don't like to start when it gets hot.

johndeeremoomba69
06-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Sounds like you have a restriction in your fuel line. You get fuel for awhile and then it runs out. I would check your fuel filter first of all.

Smoothwater
06-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Keep us updated on what you find out. Very interested to know.

98outback
06-13-2018, 10:53 AM
You need to make sure you have fire. A bad coil can work intermittently when they get warm.

This is probably the culprit. I had the same issue on my Supra with the 325. Would run fine and the get rough and shut off. Let it sit and cool and would crank and run again for a bit. Took to dealer multiple times and they kept changing parts with no luck. I started doing my own research and came to the coil pack. When it would get hot it would get weak and boat would idle rough and die. I replaced it and problem was gone.

mstopher82
06-13-2018, 11:36 AM
This is probably the culprit. I had the same issue on my Supra with the 325. Would run fine and the get rough and shut off. Let it sit and cool and would crank and run again for a bit. Took to dealer multiple times and they kept changing parts with no luck. I started doing my own research and came to the coil pack. When it would get hot it would get weak and boat would idle rough and die. I replaced it and problem was gone.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you remember what part number it was or where you ordered it?

mstopher82
06-15-2018, 11:36 AM
The mechanic is saying that the fuel pump is bad. I told them to replace it. He said it may be a couple weeks before it's ready

98outback
06-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you remember what part number it was or where you ordered it?

Not off the top of my head. That boat is long gone. Good luck. Did they put a pressure gauge on the pump while it was running and underload to verify the pump isn’t producing what it should? If they just start throwing parts at it and it doesn’t fix it I wouldn’t be happy. Wonder why a couple weeks on an external fuel pump.

Smoothwater
06-15-2018, 01:23 PM
It could be the fuel pump I guess but it certainly sounds like a fire issue to me, especially being off and on. I'm not a mechanic of course.

mstopher82
06-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Not off the top of my head. That boat is long gone. Good luck. Did they put a pressure gauge on the pump while it was running and underload to verify the pump isn’t producing what it should? If they just start throwing parts at it and it doesn’t fix it I wouldn’t be happy. Wonder why a couple weeks on an external fuel pump.

From my understanding it is not an external pump. They moved the fuel pumps and filter into the fuel tank in '09 or '10 to prevent the vapor lock issues they were having.

mgswake
06-15-2018, 11:03 PM
It could be the fuel pump I guess but it certainly sounds like a fire issue to me, especially being off and on. I'm not a mechanic of course.

I had an issue with my boat stopping us and leaving us stranded multiple times a few summers ago. It would start right up and run for 30 mins or so and shut off and leave us stranded. It was our low pressure fuel pump. Had it replaced and been good since. 2000 nautique not a moomba. Not sure if that's helpful or not, just another perspective.

Leland
06-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Smoothwater What is the coil pack and where is it located? I have a 2005 Moomba Indmar Assult 5.7 EFI that I just recently purchased and believe that what you had going on is the what I have going on. Can you help with location and part number?

Stazi
06-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Smoothwater What is the coil pack and where is it located? I have a 2005 Moomba Indmar Assult 5.7 EFI that I just recently purchased and believe that what you had going on is the what I have going on. Can you help with location and part number?

Follow the single lead going into the distributor back, and you will see the coil pack. Typically mounted above the v-drive trans

Smoothwater
06-18-2018, 12:26 PM
Follow the single lead going into the distributor back, and you will see the coil pack. Typically mounted above the v-drive trans

What he says.

mstopher82
06-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Just an update. Mechanic is leaning away from it being the fuel pump. He says that it is coming on every time he keys it up. He told me he has an ohm diagram (maybe a wire diagram?) and is tracing backwards from the fuel pump. I guess they will find the problem eventually.

mstopher82
07-21-2018, 10:14 PM
Sorry so long to get back on but we have been at the lake �� as to what was wrong with it I'm still not sure. The mechanic had it twice first time he said nothing was wrong. Well that wasn't the case. He had it for about 2 weeks called and said he thought may be a fuel pump
He called the week after that and said it was running fine. However, he didn't replace the fuel pump or anything. No charge for looking at it the second time. They said it was the "magic touch", whatever that means. But hey! The boat runs great and we love it! Now on to my next issue, diagnosing the ballast tanks that are not filling SMH!

DOCDRS
07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
I believe you have the jabsco pumps. If the shut off valves are open and the motors are running and no water is being pumped into the bags then your impellers are most likely shot. The impellers are pretty robust, even the old original ones. I still have 2 original 9 year old impellers and one green one that I replaced the in 2009 when I got the boat as It was not working. To winterize I pull the bags then stick a hose in a container of rv antifreeze and hit the drain button for about 4-5 seconds or a litre/quart then pull the hose out let the pump drain for another 5 seconds. This is my 10th season with original impellers. Fwiw

Smoothwater
07-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Maybe you should carry it back to that same mechanic and tell him to "look" at the pumps. Sorry man, couldn't resist. Seriously though, have no idea.

mstopher82
07-25-2018, 04:49 PM
Maybe you should carry it back to that same mechanic and tell him to "look" at the pumps. Sorry man, couldn't resist. Seriously though, have no idea.

LMAO yeah that would work great for me ��