PDA

View Full Version : Surf Rope Issues

z28ke
06-05-2018, 05:51 PM
How long of a surf rope do you all use?

I have an older ronix rope/handle that I really like but with the new Max it’s not long enough to easily get to a rider in the water without having someone throw it EVERY time. When towing from the tower it seems to get snagged on any and everything possible (platform, board rack, seams of sundeck upholstery, etc).

I tried it from the lower rear tow point but that doesn’t swivel and the rider has to swim up behind the boat to get it.

Any recommendations or suggestions on equipment or technique?

Keep in mind I’m still getting used to the low speed handling of this monster of a boat. It’s nothing like my old OBV lol

Thanks

parrothd
06-05-2018, 06:58 PM
24ft..I have this one but out of stock

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017ETIHK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_kvXfBbCGTSSMF

dakota4ce
06-05-2018, 08:35 PM
I don’t get it. We throw it every time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
06-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Us too...
this is the one I use. They’re short, mine gets hung on boards in the tower and all kinds of places if you turn slow dragging it.
https://www.ronixwake.com/Product/2018-stretch-surf-rope/

parrothd
06-05-2018, 09:25 PM
We never bring the rope in, just throw it to the other side after you're up and swim over and get it after you fall. We do more of a hot pickup style, probably not easy for beginner drivers. :)

Protip, learn to lay on top of your board like surfers do and paddle over, easy and quick. Driver just needs to pass by the surfer close to the boat at slow speed.

dakota4ce
06-05-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the tips. 🤣

We don’t even use words for pickups. Really. There are no words exchanged in my crew.

I also hate the bouncing rope in videos, therefore, tossed into boat.

I also feel like there is a residual safety hazard with a rope out there in a crazy weird fall scenario. Never know. Don’t feel like pulling a limb off.

dakota4ce
06-05-2018, 10:34 PM
OP:

I bought Lakewakes $24.99 24’ surf rope and it’s just fine for cheap.

After my expensive one was worn down after 4 seasons of constant use.

MJHSupra
06-05-2018, 10:54 PM
I have both styles on my boat: t handle and normal handle.

Most riders like the t handle. It’s heavier, does not bounce around much, does not get tangled as much. It’s long b/c I’m usually making it shorter in one of the sections - there are 3 or 4 of them.

We also toss into the boat or I make someone in charge of getting the rope into the boat.

When I ride, the style does not make a difference to me. I just try to pop-up and toss into the boat. Probably choose the newer Hyperlite one just b/c it’s new.

z28ke
06-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. On some days it’s not a problem as I will have a dedicated crew (my buddies) with me that all know what needs to be done, but other days it’s my fiancé’s friends who don’t pay attention to what’s going on. On these days it’s nice to just leave the rope in the water and bring it around to the rider without barking instructions EVERY TIME.

I’m actually a very experienced driver and surfer, bought my first inboard (1982 mastercraft stars and stripes) back in 2005, then my outback v in 2008. I just got the Max, however, and am still getting used to it’s low speed characteristics.

Sounds like I need to try a longer rope, right now I can’t even see the rider in the water behind the giant ass end of the max when the rope is tight. I taught 4 newbs to surf (and got all of them out of the water!) this past Sunday and it got rather frustrating not being able to see if/when the rider is ready.

parrothd
06-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Once you get a longer rope, snake it out the side of the tower near the top on the surf side. It'll help them up and push them to the side. I also raised the driver seat 7inches..lol

For experienced riders we leave the rope on the driver side, helps when swinging around for pickup and gives a fun whip for starts regular riders.

dakota4ce
06-06-2018, 10:25 AM
I personally like the 24’ rope—lets you start catching the wave at rope’s length at the back of the pocket.

Also longer avoids hooking stuff better—people’s heads, tie down cleats, go pros etc.

z28ke
06-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Once you get a longer rope, snake it out the side of the tower near the top on the surf side. It'll help them up and push them to the side. I also raised the driver seat 7inches..lol

For experienced riders we leave the rope on the driver side, helps when swinging around for pickup and gives a fun whip for starts regular riders.

Great suggestion, I’ll try that this weekend

Shoebox
06-06-2018, 11:24 AM
You could run the rope off the ski pylon. That's what I do because the Oz tower point is so far forward, the rope is too short and you damn near start at the swim step.

Does anyone know if they sell 5' or 6' sections for these ropes?

dakota4ce
06-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Just make one!

Go get some rope, make another section, add to your rope and surf your face off!

parrothd
06-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Dry starts, no rope needed.. :)

dakota4ce
06-06-2018, 12:09 PM
I would say we are borderline entering analysis paralysis stage. Just get some rope, turn up the tunes and make a wave.

kaneboats
06-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Agree with above. We do throw it every time b/c the boat is a pig when ballasted and with a gate deployed. Usually cut anywhere near the rider and toss the rope at their head to be sure they get their hands up on it.

parrothd
06-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Agree with above. We do throw it every time b/c the boat is a pig when ballasted and with a gate deployed. Usually cut anywhere near the rider and toss the rope at their head to be sure they get their hands up on it.

Yeah, getting hit in the face is why we stopped pulling the rope in.. Lol

If you have a suck gate it's actually easier, only turn with the gate, head directly towards the rider, then about 10ft away turn fully towards the gate with a slight blimp of the throttle. The boat will spin 180 with the rope coming around to meet them.

parrothd
06-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Sorry, closer to a boat length away.

trayson
06-06-2018, 04:11 PM
I hate T-handles. use a regular rope. if you need a little bit more length, I've found this is a great value:
https://www.amazon.com/Tantrum-Tow-Ropes-WakeSurf-Rope/dp/B00JONYG0O

We tow from the side of the tower for surfing. It keeps the rope out of my speakers and overhead surf racks. It also allows the rider to get up outside of the wash. And they don't have to drop off a cliff of a wave when starting like they would with the rope in the middle. Once the rope is tossed or dropped, it's almost always within arms reach of the crew that's sitting on the surfside. (yes, we still bias weight to the surfside).

And when it's time for the rider to get the rope again after a fall, I typically will call out "ROPE" and someone sitting on the surf side will toss it over their back into the water. from there, I can put the rope right in the rider's lap as I turn around them on the surf side. Works great for every level of rider. THey're almost never starting from the dark side.

MJHSupra
06-06-2018, 06:57 PM
I would say we are borderline entering analysis paralysis stage. Just get some rope, turn up the tunes and make a wave.

Thinking the same thing.

Louder and bigger the better.

Darter
06-07-2018, 10:52 AM
With our small boat and short pocket, our rope is quite short. It's tied to the surf side of the tower (usually starboard). I approach the rider on the port side, then maybe 15' before I get to them, swing hard left to get them on starboard side and throw it into reverse. This stops the boat and puts the rider right next to the rear bench seat where a passenger puts the rope into the riders hand. Couldn't be easier.