PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat after shutdown

csm
06-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Just wondering if this is normal, or something I should be concerned with. Was out all day yesterday pulling tubes unfortunately. When running, my thermostat was pretty normal, in the 160-165 range. But occasionally after shutting down to pick up riders, thermostat would move to 190ish. Once the engine came back on, it went back to the normal operating range fairly quickly. Is this normal behavior when the engine is shutoff? Water temps are 85, so pretty warm, but I don't remember seeing this in the past. Impeller only has about 15 hours on it.

kaneboats
06-04-2018, 10:20 AM
I think you are talking about the temp gauge, not the thermostat. When the motor is warm enough the thermostat will open to allow it to cool. Unless the boat is running nothing is getting pumped through, i.e., no cooling going on. Once you start running again the thermostat remains open and you see effective cooling. Solution: after pulling tubes for a while, idle down for a few minutes and allow cooling to take place before you shut down.

Stazi
06-04-2018, 10:27 AM
I think you are talking about the temp gauge, not the thermostat. When the motor is warm enough the thermostat will open to allow it to cool. Unless the boat is running nothing is getting pumped through, i.e., no cooling going on. Once you start running again the thermostat remains open and you see effective cooling. Solution: after pulling tubes for a while, idle down for a few minutes and allow cooling to take place before you shut down.

Yes, put the boat into idle to allow the cooling system to work, instead of shutting it down right after wringing it’s guts, out pulling tubers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

csm
06-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Cool thanks guys. Puts my mind at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro