PDA

View Full Version : Engine shutdown after warm

vincentvega
06-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Hello everyone , new member here , just bought an 09 Outback with 280 hours. Very well maintained Moomba specimen. Tested good with a couple shutdowns but overall ran very well. The boat had set unused since August of 2017 with approx 1/4 tank fuel. My question is what would cause the boat to shutdown randomly like that. The seller said the kill switch is very uber sensitive. The boat would always crank back up after less than a minute and run strong but still randomly shut down like someone hit the kill switch. Bad gas,Vapor lock , electrical? Sorry for the long first post but any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks in advance and looking forward to the forum!!

Stazi
06-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Maybe the kill switch has loose connections? I would disconnect and retest to verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mor3naz0
06-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Hi
I had the same with my 2015 Supra. Had sat with around 1/2 tank of fuel for more than a year before I purchased it.
Got it on the water and first couple of runs boat would slowly drop in revs and then sit at idle. Not throttle response at all. I would need to turn it off and restart it and then it would run fine.
Worked out it was the old fuel causing detonation and the ECU was killing the power.
After a couple of decent runs with new fuel - no problems.
Maybe try some October booster and fresh new fuel?
I have video that I recorded when it was dropping in revs but I can’t seem to upload/post it.

vincentvega
06-04-2018, 08:16 AM
Maybe the kill switch has loose connections? I would disconnect and retest to verify.

Thanks , I'll give that a shot !!!

vincentvega
06-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Hi
I had the same with my 2015 Supra. Had sat with around 1/2 tank of fuel for more than a year before I purchased it.
Got it on the water and first couple of runs boat would slowly drop in revs and then sit at idle. Not throttle response at all. I would need to turn it off and restart it and then it would run fine.
Worked out it was the old fuel causing detonation and the ECU was killing the power.
After a couple of decent runs with new fuel - no problems.
Maybe try some October booster and fresh new fuel?
I have video that I recorded when it was dropping in revs but I can’t seem to upload/post it.

Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking but wanted to run it by the experts. Got it home yesterday and parked it so haven't unloaded yet. Will try the new fuel with some seafoam wednesday or thursday and report back. Thanks!!!

vincentvega
06-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Well after a full tank of non ethanol fuel and one bottle of seafoam the boat runs like a scalded dog!! No issues with it shutting down , smooth performance . Thanks for the help!!!