PDA

View Full Version : My Moomba stinks!

iaonbb
10-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Not what you're thinking...for the record, love my Moomba!!! ('04 Mobius LS) BUT...I park it in my garage and the fuel smell is unbearable. It's stinking up the whole house everytime I open the door. I figured it might be better after it was winterized but no luck. Why would it be any different than my car which doesn't stink up the joint. Well, my old VW did but that's another issue :D Any ideas? Do I need to drain the remaining fuel out? Is there a pressure relief vent that might be allowing vapors to escape? Odor is most prevalant around the rear locker/fuel tank. No leaks that I'm aware of. No way I can live with this all Winter. Help!

iaonbb
10-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Nope...ran her down to 1/8 tank before winterizing. Hesitant to plug vent in gas cap, although I guess it wouldn't be a prob since it's not in use and in a climate controlled area. Just doesn't seem right. I used to love that unique smell, but it's getting to be too much of a good thing.

smokedog2
10-12-2006, 02:46 PM
My guess would be leak in the tank. Mine is indooors - full, empty etc with another boat. Sealed for weeks between rides with no windows and I have never had any gas smell (it does stay cool since the bld is insulated).

Leak small enough so it evaporates befor pooling, or pooling where you do not see it but I would start looking for a screw in the tank or a cracked hose or fitting.

SD2

iaonbb
10-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Yikes...any idea how hard to access tank? Assume I've gotta pull out the carpet liner in the rear locker and go from there? Thankfully I don't think it's in the engier since it's so strong in the rear. When I open the rear lid the smell is really, really strong...Thanks again

qb12
10-12-2006, 04:19 PM
i hate to say this but i finally have to agree with sd2 :cry:

my 02 outback and my 05 supra have both spent many days in the garage and i have never smelled any fuel.

i would guess you might have a loose line or what sd2 suggested

JoeTechie
10-12-2006, 09:05 PM
My bet is a cracked fuel line or lose clamp.

Check the engine compartment and the filler hose clamps with a good flashlight and try to feel for anythig wet.

-J

iaonbb
10-12-2006, 09:21 PM
it's DEFINITELY originating from the rear...not looking forward to tearing my boat apart this weekend :cry: Will report back what/if anyting I find...

superman
10-15-2006, 10:52 AM
My friends Malibu had this problem. It was caused by the gas tank seal leaking around the top of the tank. If that is your problem remember, dont use any gasket maker on it. Only the gasket itself.
________
chevy specs (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/)

JoeTechie
10-15-2006, 01:19 PM
I had this problem with an old car actually. It was the filler hose for the tank - but that was the accordian / flex aluminum hose. The air handler for the house was in the garage, and when I filled up and parked in the garage overnight - my house smelled like a auto mechanichs garage!

good luck

-J

iaonbb
10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys...Superman~ I think you're on it. I nosed around the rear locker today (pun intended) and the raw fuel smell is most prevalant around the cap and inside the locker. I can't see anything that indicates the fuel cap has a presure release mechanism so I'm assuming there is another one somewhere which could be the culpit and/or a leak in the filler hose or where it enters the tank. I just don't want to have to pull all of the panels to find out. Can't deal with it all winter though and I'd assume it's a huge risk using it again with the fuel vapor buildup potential. We'll call it next weekend's project as the Broncos are on in and hour :twisted:

dmgx
10-16-2006, 03:28 PM
We reccomend that you take your boat to your authorized dealer for insepection/repair of any fuel related issues. To my knowledge this is not a common problem and should be addressed as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Jay Warren
Skier's Choice

iaonbb
10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Hey Jay~ Unfortunately, I just though the smell was common and did not have my dealer look into it last week when they had it for the 20hr/winterization. :cry: Since they're 2 hours one way, any suggestion you might have for me trying to diagnose myself (no liability on SC of course) :roll: :D

dmgx
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I really can't help you with any hints or ideas here. The fuel tank needs to be pressure tested and that can only be done by the dealer. Wish I could help more. Jay Warren

iaonbb
10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Well…after three hours, a few bloody knuckles and a glass splinter or two…I think it’s the friggin’ gas cap!?! I tore out all the panels in the rear locker as well as the rear seat, hard ballast tank, removable floor panel and motor box…traced the line all the way to/from the tank and all connectors…no leaks. There are two fuel lines on either end of the tank on top that both feed into a single line that runs up and Y’s into the filer hose on the back side of the transom. I assume it’s some kind of overflow/pressure relief system. The inside of the cap also has some funky little gizmo for relief, however I can’t for the life of me see how/where it vents the fumes, as there is no hole/valve/etc in the cap itself? I’ve experimented with the cap looser, tighter, etc and no difference. I’ve now duct taped the opening as a last resort and the smell is almost gone. :x is about all I can say at this point.

On the plus side, I learned a lot about the boat and now have several more post and questions, :idea:

I know it’s no secret about the inaccurate fuel gauge, but for those who are interested…my gas gauge is reading 1/8 tank, but the tank is ½ full! I didn’t think the discrepancy would be that huge! Oh well, at least I know when I’m on “E” it means “Eh, there’s still some left”. The boat is perfectly level in my garage (yes I even put a level on it). We’ll call it the “reserve” :wink:

I guess there’s worse ways to spend a Saturday…