PDA

View Full Version : Craz ballast bags emptying to soon

Devo30
05-30-2018, 09:28 AM
On my new craz, when filling all the ballast bags, the overflow will kick in and start spewing water over the side when bags are 60-70% full. It will continue to do this until bags are 100% full. I understand this is not normal. Anybody had this happen to them? Solution? Dealer has not got back to me.

Also, when emptying the bags, my pumps are extremely loud. Is this normal?

Devo

RC_Hinojosa
05-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Are your bags seated properly? Seems like there would be a fold or a kink somewhere for the water in the bags to reach the overflow @ 60-70% full. Have you burped the front vents?

The pumps can get kinda loud when emptying, I usually hear them the last 10% or so as water sloshes back and forth to the drain lines.

korey
05-30-2018, 10:25 AM
When you say 60-70% full do you mean by the readout on the screen, or actually looking at the bags?

Devo30
05-30-2018, 10:50 AM
When you say 60-70% full do you mean by the readout on the screen, or actually looking at the bags?

By the readout on the screen. I look at my bags and they look right full, I have taken one of the screw caps off to see if there is air in them but water comes out.

korey
05-30-2018, 11:18 AM
By the readout on the screen. I look at my bags and they look right full, I have taken one of the screw caps off to see if there is air in them but water comes out.

Ahh, then it's probably just a timer issue. Do you by chance have G6 pumps? Maybe the factory set the timers for the slower pumps... The percentages are all off of timers, there is no actual sensor in the bag to tell the boat how full it is. if your timer is set too long then it will keep filling and blow it out the overflow vent just like you're describing. I've never seen a boat that came set perfectly from the factory... Having timers set pretty close to reality is important for several reasons, but #1 is not burning up pumps when emptying. #2 would be getting semi-realistic percentage numbers when talking about wake setups.

Go to Vessel settings > Ballast Timers (or something like that, I'm not looking at my boat) and set the timers lower. I think I had mine at about 7 minutes to fill and a little more to empty with the factory bags, but I only had those in for 2 weekends, so those aren't very well refined numbers.... The default numbers are displayed next to your adjusted numbers for a reference. In my experience the best way to set these timers is to set them to something arbitrarily long, start a stop watch on your phone when you flip the switch, and stop it as soon as water starts coming out the side (or as soon as you hear the pumps change sound when emptying). Add a few seconds to be safe and set the timer to this number. Fill and empty times will be slightly different for a given zone, but port and starboard should be about the same.

Devo30
05-30-2018, 11:44 AM
Korey,
Thanks for the tips/info. That is probably exactly what it is. I do have the G6 pumps. Not in my boat, but off the top of my head, bag timers are set for around 11 min. I have the factory bags in the back which I believe are 900's?? This probably explains why my pump's are running really load when they are emptying as they are sucking air!! I will re set my timers. I assumed my dealer would have properly timed these out for me when he water tested it out, along with checking the speedometer but apparently not. Wonder what else I have to check!!!

Thanks again, really appreciate all the help.

korey
05-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Also FYI the general rule of thumb is 80lbs per minute (per pump in our case), so the theoretical number would be ~6 minutes. I think my boat came set at 6.5 and i increased it to 7ish with stock bags and am at 11 with the enzos (1450lbs). That's pretty impressive coming from a boat with a fully manual ballast system!

I was surprised that the suction side (when filling) of the pump was Y'd to one 1" line to the through hull. You'd get better performance with a bigger line/through hull or separate fittings though the hull... I guess there is only so much room and things get more complicated (and cost more) when you're getting that into the weeds. But still!

jcarter20
06-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Your dealer should have set those up for you if they water tested the boat. My dealer set mine up and showed me a few tips. There is also a setting where you can "Reset Timers". That is nice because if you fill or drain all the bags, but the display is not showing 100% or 0%, you can just reset the timer and it will automatically use that amount of time the next time you fill or drain (depending on which one you were doing). I have also found that you need to be consistent on how you fill your bags. I like to drive at idol speed out of the no wake zone and let the bags fill. If you are sitting still or moving faster than idol, the timers will be off. Draining the bags seems to be more consistent even if you are running at higher speeds.

korey
06-11-2018, 03:12 PM
There is also a setting where you can "Reset Timers". That is nice because if you fill or drain all the bags, but the display is not showing 100% or 0%, you can just reset the timer and it will automatically use that amount of time the next time you fill or drain (depending on which one you were doing).

So, I tried this over the weekend and it didn't change my timers when I reset the bags to full... Have you done this yourself?

I set my timers to 15 minutes, turned pumps on, turned them off manually when they started pushing water out the overflow, then reset the level to 100% on each bag, any my timers were not changed.

Stazi
06-11-2018, 04:02 PM
So, I tried this over the weekend and it didn't change my timers when I reset the bags to full... Have you done this yourself?

I set my timers to 15 minutes, turned pumps on, turned them off manually when they started pushing water out the overflow, then reset the level to 100% on each bag, any my timers were not changed.

You have to set the timers yourself. it won't do it for you. Resetting the ballast levels to full or empty doesn't effect the timers whatsoever.

You need to pull up the timer on your phone and then turn on the pumps and start timing how long it takes for them to overflow. Then set those times into the ballast timer menu for each bag. Do the same thing for emptying. You need to have the boat running, and preferably stationery or running just in gear when doing this so you have consistent voltage and flow rates.

Rule of thumb is about 1 minute per 100lbs, but that's a rough number. For example filling my 1100's I have set to 11:30 each, and empty is about 11:00. For the center and bow bag combo I have both fill and empty at 15 minutes.

korey
06-11-2018, 04:13 PM
You have to set the timers yourself. it won't do it for you. Resetting the ballast levels to full or empty doesn't effect the timers whatsoever.

You need to pull up the timer on your phone and then turn on the pumps and start timing how long it takes for them to overflow. Then set those times into the ballast timer menu for each bag. Do the same thing for emptying. You need to have the boat running, and preferably stationery or running just in gear when doing this so you have consistent voltage and flow rates.

Rule of thumb is about 1 minute per 100lbs, but that's a rough number. For example filling my 1100's I have set to 11:30 each, and empty is about 11:00. For the center and bow bag combo I have both fill and empty at 15 minutes.

Yes, this is exactly the way I expected it to work, in the way that it does work. But the post above describe something a little different than that that would be pretty cool. I spend my non boating time designing user interfaces for industrial Machinery, so the gears are always turning on ideas like that... Honestly I'd love to have the development software for the screens, and play with the boat.

jcarter20
06-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Yep, Stazi is correct. I thought it reset the timers, but I was wrong. I have been at the lake for two days...getting to know this thing. So far I am super happy with it. Personally, I am liking the Autowake. We have had a lot of coolers, 6 adults, and 4 kids on the boat I have been able to move people around to get a really nice, consistent surf wave and Wakeboard wake with the stock ballast (3,000 lb). However, the ballast timer system seems to be inconsistent. I am always having to flip the switch to top the bags off or drain that last little bit. Not a big deal though. I have adjusted the timers up and down a few times. I guess I shouldn’t be such a perfectionist and stop caring it there is one gallon left in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk