PDA

View Full Version : Amp help!

BoilerUp
05-29-2018, 10:03 PM
Welp, I’ve got another question that will likely (hopefully) have an embarrassingly simple solution.

I recently went from 4 mtx tower speakers to 2 Kicker KM8s. I’m running them off the same amp (all equipment was installed when I bought the boat). It’s a car audio amp, not sure the exact model but it’s Memphis, 2600w, 2 channels running ONLY the towers. The KM8s both play, but once I get the volume up a little, not very loud at all, towers shut off. Turning the system off and back on will bring the towers back, so I’m assuming the amp is going into protect but the light is in a terrible location so I can’t say for sure without removing a battery.

I don’t know anything about tuning an amp (or audio in general, for that matter), I assume protect mode protects the amp and not the speakers, right? 2600w seems like a hell of a lot for those two speakers. Could it be going into protect when the output becomes to high for the speakers? If so, is there a way I can tone it down to make it safe or am I better off getting a new amp (looking if anyone’s got anything [emoji51])? Controls on the amp are crossover, gain, and hpf/lpf, if that helps with suggestions.

Comfortable using a meter for trouble shooting, just truly don’t have a clue about anything audio or where to start. TIA!

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
05-29-2018, 10:29 PM
I would not worry about that spec. its likely an unrealistic "peak" number for marketing.

mcjimmy33
05-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Amps only go into protect mode to protect themselves from over heating. Setting the gain properly on the amp is what keeps the speakers alive. The amp could be overheating, is it well ventilated? Try with the gain very low (maybe 10%) and see if the same issue occurs.

TrueKaotik
05-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Didn’t know Memphis made a 2600 watt 2 channel amp. You positive?
Either way it seems you should really take it to a professional and make sure everything is proper and set right by your post. No disrespect but if you truly know nothing of audio tuning and matching, you shouldn’t be attempting this.

BoilerUp
05-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Amps only go into protect mode to protect themselves from over heating. Setting the gain properly on the amp is what keeps the speakers alive. The amp could be overheating, is it well ventilated? Try with the gain very low (maybe 10%) and see if the same issue occurs.

Still a no go. Same result. By the way, I don’t know if it matters but I’ve tried using the head unit and the EQ to crank the volume, both with the same results. So, keep head unit mid volume then use the EQ to adjust the volume, towers die. Set the EQ to mid volume and use head unit to adjust volume, towers die. Did verify the power light on the amp goes out. Can’t see the protect light though.

BoilerUp
05-30-2018, 09:55 PM
Either way it seems you should really take it to a professional and make sure everything is proper and set right by your post. No disrespect but if you truly know nothing of audio tuning and matching, you shouldn’t be attempting this.

No disrespect taken. Trying the do-it-yourself route first. I hate taking things to get worked on. Somehow the part is never in stock or the mechanic goes on vacation and I end up without my equipment for a month (going on the third week without my mower right now). Don’t want to do that during good boating months. I figure there’s an expert somewhere on the forum anyway!

BoilerUp
05-30-2018, 10:01 PM

You are right about the Memphis. Was going by memory and got the amp brands mixed up. The Memphis is powering in-boats. The 2 channel 2600 watt powering the towers is a Power Acoustik. Looks to be the OV2-2600https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180531/0787b3c3018c97d02e78089ed75e3a4d.jpg

MLA
05-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Amps only go into protect mode to protect themselves from over heating

Actually, there are a number of self-preservation modes that an amp has. Over and under volt, low impedance/short, just to name the basics. Amps with processors, monitor other internal conditions and will go into protect mode and show a fault code.

MLA
05-30-2018, 10:40 PM
As expected, that 2600 is an advertised marketing number. Given PA's history, id even be hesitant to believe their advertised RMS. Need to rule out voltage issue, blown speaker or shorted speaker wires, amp tuning.

mcjimmy33
05-31-2018, 09:47 AM
All correct, I was over simplifying. Basically just wanted to say the amp doesn't care how much power your speaker can handle, it will blow it to pieces.

Actually, there are a number of self-preservation modes that an amp has. Over and under volt, low impedance/short, just to name the basics. Amps with processors, monitor other internal conditions and will go into protect mode and show a fault code.

MLA
05-31-2018, 01:07 PM
All correct, I was over simplifying. Basically just wanted to say the amp doesn't care how much power your speaker can handle, it will blow it to pieces.

In a way, yes. the amp does not know the power handling or voice coil size of the speaker, simply "sees" the impedance and has a designed output potential, based on that impedance. heck, amps dont even know how many speakers are connected, again, just the load placed on the chnl(s). We can power 1 or a 100 speakers, as long as the impedance is within the amp safe limit. Power would suck to 100 speaker per chnl, but the amp doesnt care :p Luckily, the gain and volume dials can be used to regulate the amp's output, up to its potential.

If this amp has even half its stated RMS, it should NEVER go into thermal shut down driving a pair of 4 ohm 8" coaxials. Even being class-AB and in death valley, the gains should be pretty conservative. If it is a thermal event, it will take more then just lowering the volume to get the amp back on line. The amps usually need a few minute or more to cool. Not ruling out, id just place heat down on my list.

Broke Pilot
05-31-2018, 02:32 PM
What gauge wiring was used to power the amp and ground? On an amp that size, especially if it’s not super efficient, hopefully it’s 4ga at the bare minimum. Also, check all the fuses, in-line on the power cable (hopefully a 80-100 amp minimum) and if there are any on the amp. I have seen weak fuses, but they’re not visibly blown.

Edo88
06-01-2018, 07:37 PM
So you had four tower speakers all worked fine? And you upgraded to two kickers that now don’t work properly. Process of elimination sounds like you didn’t wire something correctly Post some pictures of how you wired it up.