PDA

View Full Version : Reusing factory ballast bags

fordbrent1
05-28-2018, 06:01 PM
When we upgraded our rear ballast bags, we kept the old fat sacs that came stock with the boat as wakemakers suggested it. They sell fitting so you can use the bags. I however cannot get the glued in fittings that allowed the hookup of the factory ballast pumps.

Has anyone had any luck? I tried using a hair dryer and a propane torch to heat the glue, but it was unsuccessful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Willyourun
05-28-2018, 06:17 PM
I just successfully did the same thing with my 2016 Helix bags. It took two grown men, a vice grips, and a channel locks pliers to get mine loose. We were just about to quit when we got it to break loose. Not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordbrent1
05-28-2018, 06:18 PM
I just successfully did the same thing with my 2016 Helix bags. It took two grown men, a vice grips, and a channel locks pliars to get mine loose. We were just about to quit when we got it to break loose. Not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDid you use a hair dryer?

Willyourun
05-28-2018, 06:21 PM
I did but I’m not sure it did any good. There’s no way I could have done it by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
05-29-2018, 03:41 PM
I used a heat gun to get mine out. I don't have enough hair to need a hairdryer. LOL

fordbrent1
05-29-2018, 03:53 PM
I used a heat gun to get mine out. I don't have enough hair to need a hairdryer. LOLWas it super difficult? How long did you leave the gun on?

trayson
05-29-2018, 04:12 PM
Was it super difficult? How long did you leave the gun on?

It was a pain. I think I sprayed some solvent on it to weaken the glue. It really varies. Some come right out, others take tons of effort, and others the bag gets destroyed.

LAwake
05-29-2018, 07:38 PM
Was it super difficult? How long did you leave the gun on?

It’s a pain in the butt! I had two bags I had to remove stock glued in fittings from. I used a hairdryer and the first one took me about 25 minutes to get out. The hardest part is being able to stand on the little black edge of the valve while trying to pry the fitting out sideways. It isn’t as easy as the video suggests. I’d try to find something narrow that you can stand on that will go on top of the black ring and hold it down
While you pry once the glue loosens from the heat. 2 of the 4 came out for me. 2 were fairly easy, the third took close to 2 and a half hours, the fourth, well, the entire weld came apart from the inside and the entire valve assembly attached to the flange came out leaving a hole in the bag. The bag is trashed. Got in contact with FatSac and nothing they can do. Told me to go through my local dealer and FatSac said they would warranty it since it was a brand new bag. It’s still laying on the floor of my office. I’ve ordered LeadWake bags and said screw trying to fool with the portable pump and lugging ballast bags around the boat.

KnoxMojo
05-29-2018, 09:37 PM
I talked to fatsac today about the bags and some fittings. They told me that the cement they use now is no longer rubber cement, but rather permanent for the ports. Guys, you are better off spending a few more dollars on fittings rather than struggling and damaging the old bags.

fordbrent1
05-29-2018, 09:39 PM
I talked to fatsac today about the bags and some fittings. They told me that the cement they use now is no longer rubber cement, but rather permanent for the ports. Guys, you are better off spending a few more dollars on fittings rather than struggling and damaging the old bags.Is there a fitting I can add to the factory fitting and be able to make it work?

KnoxMojo
05-29-2018, 09:48 PM
I see what you are trying to do. You may be better off selling those bags and buying some others. Your scenario, and a few others is why I called fatsac as well as flow-rite today.

KnoxMojo
05-29-2018, 10:02 PM
I figured out a solution. Use quick connect fittings and universal tsunami fittings with 1" hose, that will take care of your fill and drain on the top. For the side port, 2 quick connect fittings on either end of some hose with quick connect plug. I would suggest a 90 and a straight. All the fittings, hose, and plugs can be found through wakemakers and fatsac. Use clamps to secure everything. So, about $100 in parts and an hour of work to be able to reuse them. If the bags don't have the air release fittings, buy those as well. Its the long way around, but it would work.

MJHSupra
05-29-2018, 10:30 PM
I talked to fatsac today about the bags and some fittings. They told me that the cement they use now is no longer rubber cement, but rather permanent for the ports. Guys, you are better off spending a few more dollars on fittings rather than struggling and damaging the old bags.

What fun is that? Never a real project until something is broken. Ha Ha.

I agree.

fordbrent1
05-29-2018, 10:33 PM
I figured out a solution. Use quick connect fittings and universal tsunami fittings with 1" hose, that will take care of your fill and drain on the top. For the side port, 2 quick connect fittings on either end of some hose with quick connect plug. I would suggest a 90 and a straight. All the fittings, hose, and plugs can be found through wakemakers and fatsac. Use clamps to secure everything. So, about $100 in parts and an hour of work to be able to reuse them. If the bags don't have the air release fittings, buy those as well. Its the long way around, but it would work.Whoa...this made my head hurt, but you confirmed something I had already thought. Time to buy new bags...

Thanks for your help!

KnoxMojo
05-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Smart man, but showing that it is possible. Lol.... MJH, I am good at demolishing factory bags.

LAwake
05-30-2018, 12:11 AM
When we upgraded our rear ballast bags, we kept the old fat sacs that came stock with the boat as wakemakers suggested it. They sell fitting so you can use the bags. I however cannot get the glued in fittings that allowed the hookup of the factory ballast pumps.

Has anyone had any luck? I tried using a hair dryer and a propane torch to heat the glue, but it was unsuccessful.

Sent you a PM.

DFTR Josh
05-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Man don't give up yet, this is actually easy with the right tools. You will need hair dryer, large paint stick, and a dowel the size of the fitting. Heat with the dryer for 10 minutes on low but high heat. Use the paint stick to stand on and hold the edge down while you insert the dowel to pry the fitting loose. I just did 2 bags and total took me about 11 minutes per fitting and nothing ruined. Dealer told me there's no way and then I found the wakemakers video on here on modified the procedure a little.

jmvotto
05-30-2018, 10:42 AM
I used a heat gun to get mine out. I don't have enough hair to need a hairdryer. LOL

use it on low an make sure bag is soft and pliable on both sides of the fitting