PDA

View Full Version : Engine will not start - 2006 Moomba Outback

moombamanCD
05-23-2018, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,

Looking for any assistance/guidance with starting of my 2006 Moomba Outback 310 hp 5.7l Indmar carburetor engine.

My boat was winterized and placed in storage for two years. So, I changed the oil and spark plugs. When I spray starting fluid, it will turn over but won't start. Thinking that I had a fuel issue, I replaced the fuel line and fuel filter. But, still no luck. It does not appear that gas is getting in the carburetor. It seems like it wants to start with the starting fluid but once that burns off, the motor stops running. The electronic fuel pump sounds like it is turning. But, I still thought it maybe a bad fuel pump. So, I removed the fuel pump and hooked it up to a 12 volt connection. And, it appeared to be working. It pumped a small amount of gas that I had in a separate container. Now, I'm not sure what the issue may be. I appreciate any help in troubleshooting.

parrothd
05-23-2018, 11:31 PM
See if there is fuel in the bowls, they're the square parts on the front and back of the carb, remove the big brass screw and see if fuel come out.

Did you use stabile before storing?

DOCDRS
05-24-2018, 03:08 AM
Make sure the throttle is in neutral and the kill switch key is on.

Just read 2+ year old fuel......not good....

moombamanCD
05-24-2018, 07:47 AM
See if there is fuel in the bowls, they're the square parts on the front and back of the carb, remove the big brass screw and see if fuel come out.

Did you use stabile before storing?

I did remove the two brass screws on the side of the carb and no gas came out.

And yes, I did use fuel stabilizer before storing

parrothd
05-24-2018, 10:22 AM
The bowl floats are probably stuck, if you are sure the pump is pumping fuel. Try tapping the sides of the bowls, my guess is you left gas in there and it varnished. You'll have to disemble the carb and clean it. There's lots of videos on you tube, get a rebuild kit for the gaskets.

zabooda
05-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Put a 12 volt jumper to the pump and check for fuel at the carb.

moombamanCD
05-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the help! I found that although the fuel pump was running; it wasn't strong enough to send fuel to the carb. I purchased a new fuel pump from the dealer. Installed today and it ran! I'm grateful for the advice.