PDA

View Full Version : What did I beak today?

moparsigfan
05-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Hello All,

My wife and I are new to Moomba ownership. Just bought ourselves a used 2016 Craz and are really excited about it!

Today we took the boat out for he second time and managed to hit a submerged object in an access channel to the lake we were visiting.

No visible damage to the propshaft, propellor or rudder, just some light scratches to the gel coat as far as I can see.

However, when underway the boat now pulls to the right of inlet going the wheel. So newbie question...is that typical for an onboard boat or have I managed to damage something in the steering system or something else?

Thanks for any responses in advance!

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stazi
05-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Hello All,

My wife and I are new to Moomba ownership. Just bought ourselves a used 2016 Craz and are really excited about it!

Today we took the boat out for he second time and managed to hit a submerged object in an access channel to the lake we were visiting.

No visible damage to the propshaft, propellor or rudder, just some light scratches to the gel coat as far as I can see.

However, when underway the boat now pulls to the right of inlet going the wheel. So newbie question...is that typical for an onboard boat or have I managed to damage something in the steering system or something else?

Thanks for any responses in advance!

Nick

Sounds like you bent the rudder or a tracking fin.

moparsigfan
05-24-2018, 10:00 AM
Sounds like you bent the rudder or a tracking fin.

No signs of contact or damage on the fins or rudder either. Can I assume that from your response the boat should track straight even when on plane? I do see that the rudder is mounted with an offset to the centerline of the propshaft, but I’ve seen lots of pictures of other boats with similar offsets. I will try to get some pictures uploaded later today.

moparsigfan
05-24-2018, 10:03 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180524/40b2eb4b3cac583bbb7c8cef3509796d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180524/3df7a35047000dcc687f5d544de1c14e.jpg

Stazi
05-24-2018, 10:05 AM
No signs of contact or damage on the fins or rudder either. Can I assume that from your response the boat should track straight even when on plane? I do see that the rudder is mounted with an offset to the centerline of the propshaft, but I’ve seen lots of pictures of other boats with similar offsets. I will try to get some pictures uploaded later today.

Yes. It should track straight on plane if weighted evenly and not require a large effort to hold the steering wheel. Mind you, they will not go dead straight if you let the wheel go, and it will pull at varying amounts at different speeds. All inboards typically have an offset rudder to counteract the prop rotation. This is normal.

If there is not visible damage to unused of the undercarriage, whatsoever, you could be just a little paranoid after the hit.

Remember that place and don’t go back there. Always review a depth chart of unfamiliar water ways and keep the depth gauge on you main screen.

A pro tip, if on plane and you see a rapid loss in depth, do NOT come off plane as you will only sink deeper. Do an immediate hard turn away from your current direction and try to go back to where you were coming from.

moparsigfan
05-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Paranoia is the likely culprit here! New to inboards and relatively new to boating period.

I will be taking her out again this afternoon and will spend some time experimenting with the pull at different speeds.

Just grateful to see no damage from the impact!

RC_Hinojosa
05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Stazi, is it possible to set an audible alert on our depth gauge? I was in a cove last weekend shooting the shit while tanks were filling and drifted a little closer to the shoreline than I would have liked. A 3ft alert or something would be nice.

Darter
05-24-2018, 10:22 AM
It would be tough to mess up the rudder without damaging the prop. That said, it takes a very small change in rudder position to get steering response off track.

Where is the gel coat damage in relation to the rudder and tracking fins?

Any chance the tracking fin(s) are just rotated off axis?

If the pull is only slight, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Tournament ski drivers usually have their steering "pre-loaded" to one side to help induce tighter steering response. It won't hurt anything for you, but good to be aware not to let go of the wheel.

Stazi
05-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Stazi, is it possible to set an audible alert on our depth gauge? I was in a cove last weekend shooting the shit while tanks were filling and drifted a little closer to the shoreline than I would have liked. A 3ft alert or something would be nice.

Not on the new boats

moparsigfan
05-24-2018, 10:30 AM
It would be tough to mess up the rudder without damaging the prop. That said, it takes a very small change in rudder position to get steering response off track.

Where is the gel coat damage in relation to the rudder and tracking fins?

Any chance the tracking fin(s) are just rotated off axis?

If the pull is only slight, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Tournament ski drivers usually have their steering "pre-loaded" to one side to help induce tighter steering response. It won't hurt anything for you, but good to be aware not to let go of the wheel.

There is a scrape visible in the gel coat a good 10”-12” left of the prop and rudder. Up by the tracking fins it is further away. I think we lucked out.

Pound
05-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Possibly silly question, but you don't happen to have your surf switch engaged to one side do you?

5:00
05-25-2018, 10:46 AM
It is offset by design so you can pull the prop shaft without pulling the rudder.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180524/3df7a35047000dcc687f5d544de1c14e.jpg

philip.clemmons
05-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Not on the new boats

Pretty sure (on the Supra anyway) you can set a minimum depth in settings. Maybe the Moomba software is different?

moparsigfan
05-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Possibly silly question, but you don't happen to have your surf switch engaged to one side do you?

That was one of the first things I checked when I noticed the pull, but when I moved the switch from off to on the system said I was going too fast for the system to activate.

I was curious as to whether a plate got moved by the impact but when we took the boat out of the water both surf plates were in their default off positions.

moparsigfan
05-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Took the boat out again yesterday and it was behaving normally again with little to no pull even at 25-30mph cruising down the lake.
Perhaps one of the surf plates did get knocked out of position the other day.

Anyway thanks to all for the responses. Definitely put my mind at ease!

Prospersigman
05-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Pretty sure (on the Supra anyway) you can set a minimum depth in settings. Maybe the Moomba software is different?

You can set a Minimum Depth Warning on the Supra. I have mine set at 7', when you get below that it pops up a warning message on the screen...not sure if it makes an alarm go off.

korey
05-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Maybe you were dragging something after the impact and didn't realize it? I was on a debris filled early season Lake Cumberland this weekend and unfortunately bounced my new boat off of a few things... No damage at all, but not a good feeling...

moparsigfan
05-29-2018, 06:45 PM
Maybe you were dragging something after the impact and didn't realize it? I was on a debris filled early season Lake Cumberland this weekend and unfortunately bounced my new boat off of a few things... No damage at all, but not a good feeling...

Definitely not a good feeling when you can’t remember how the boat is supposed to behave!

I’m loving the Craz! Such an upgrade over the last I/o runabout we had!!