PDA

View Full Version : Disabling hippo system

Mylemsky
05-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Hello to all,

I just purchased an 02 Outback LSV tbi. Psyched and happy with boat. When I purchased seller informed me that the hippo ballast system and perfect pass did not work correctly. I was fine with both as my wife and kids will be using boat mostly.
I have removed the ballast bags. Problem is that the battery is being drained. (Boat sat for a week and did not have enough juice to turn over on 2 occasions). Based on the water I am getting in the ballast compartments and info from threads and manual, I am deducting that the hippo system is continuously trying to prime itself and pumping water into boat and draining battery. Please correct me if I am wrong.
To disable is it as easy as turning manual shutoff (which is located where), or does something electrical need to be done in addition so system does not continually call for pre?
First time poster, thank you all for info, helped greatly in purchase decision. I hope everyone has a safe and happy boating season.

Myles

JesseC
05-23-2018, 10:56 AM
On an 02 the ballast is manually operated by the switches. If the switches are off the ballast system will not draw any power.

There should be a shutoff thru hull valve on the starboard side of the boat with a pool looking pump hanging off of it. Just close that valve and no water can come in

On my 02 LSV if you did not remember to turn off the radio and remove the face plate we had a similar battery drain as well.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stazi
05-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Hello to all,

I just purchased an 02 Outback LSV tbi. Psyched and happy with boat. When I purchased seller informed me that the hippo ballast system and perfect pass did not work correctly. I was fine with both as my wife and kids will be using boat mostly.
I have removed the ballast bags. Problem is that the battery is being drained. (Boat sat for a week and did not have enough juice to turn over on 2 occasions). Based on the water I am getting in the ballast compartments and info from threads and manual, I am deducting that the hippo system is continuously trying to prime itself and pumping water into boat and draining battery. Please correct me if I am wrong.
To disable is it as easy as turning manual shutoff (which is located where), or does something electrical need to be done in addition so system does not continually call for pre?
First time poster, thank you all for info, helped greatly in purchase decision. I hope everyone has a safe and happy boating season.

Myles

I do not think this is what is causing your issue, because there is no automatic/self priming feature with the ballast system. So unless you are flipping a switch and hearing pump(s) running there should be no activity with your ballast system. You probably have an issue with the battery or some sort of other load on the electrical circuit that is draining the battery. Unless you can find out that source, the best plan is to switch off the battery at the isolator switch every time you are done with using the boat. This should prevent unnecessary draining unless you have electrical components attached to the battery that aren’t isolated by the switch.
PS I take offense to the statement that the ballast system is redundant because your family are using the boat! LOL get out there and learn to surf or wakeboard and make the most of of the thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darter
05-24-2018, 10:50 AM
If you have excess water in the bilge, either from a leaky steering packing or propshaft packing gland, or a leaking ballast valve or hose, the bilge pump would be working overtime to drain the boat.

Did you have a lot of rain that week? Do you have a full cover or a two piece cover?