PDA

View Full Version : Parking the boat to the left advice

Snowslydder
05-22-2018, 05:07 PM
This is my first V-drive boat so I am learning how to park this compared to my Jet boat. The launch I use the most only has a single dock which only on side to park a boat on. The salesmen said that the moombas only like to back up to the right side and when he demoed it he drove the boat in at a 30 degree angle nice and slow about a boat length away turned the well hard right and put it in reverse to suck it over to the dock. If it only backs up one way what is the best way to park it on the other side. Thanks for the help.

Stazi
05-22-2018, 05:27 PM
This is my first V-drive boat so I am learning how to park this compared to my Jet boat. The launch I use the most only has a single dock which only on side to park a boat on. The salesmen said that the moombas only like to back up to the right side and when he demoed it he drove the boat in at a 30 degree angle nice and slow about a boat length away turned the well hard right and put it in reverse to suck it over to the dock. If it only backs up one way what is the best way to park it on the other side. Thanks for the help.

Yep to park with dock on the left come in SLOW at 30° and then go into neutral and coast in when about 10-12’ out and cut the wheel hard right and just engage reverse and apply just enough throttle to slow you down. Have a helper read on the port up front if possible. Key is SLOW and don’t freak the hell out and start hammering the gas into forward or reverse.

web
05-22-2018, 05:33 PM
You got it. just go slow and easy. it helps to go to the lake early season to practice without everyone watching

russellsmojo
05-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Idle is your friend. Get used to the one or two second delay when engaging forward or reverse (assumed Moomba). It’s not immediate and so then you can tend to give gas and that’s get things crazy quick.

Coming hot also means you will be fighting your own wake so slow it down. Don’t rush things in a boat when launching, docking, or loading. Only leads to bad things that cost money to fix or injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowslydder
05-22-2018, 11:47 PM
well I will go practice on a speed buoy in lake whatcom before coming in this weekend. Thanks for the tips

DFTR Josh
05-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Personally I would flip it around and park it starboard (right) always, I've seen the most seasoned drivers try to park port (left) and end up frustrated and messing up the boat. Even tight spots with a little time you can spin the boat and park on the starboard side.

korey
05-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Yep, it's hard! A skill you'll be proud of once you get it! I certainly take pride in maneuvering in tight spaces! my last 22' boat was much more responsive to prop steer than my Craz, so there is definitely some learning going on for me too, but after spending a hundred or so hours at the helm of an inboard boat every year for the last 20 (of my 33) years, I've almost got it, LOL!

My advice, keep calm, and always have a plan B - a path to bail out. understand what the boat is going to do if you have to mash on the brakes (reverse). Don't be afraid to bail out. When you get it right at a crowded dock, you get to step off of your badass machine like a rockstar!

kaneboats
05-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Well, sometimes it's too shallow to park backwards. I like to come in nose first at a very small angle and get someone on the dock. Toss a stern line to them and pull the aft end in. Gotta be careful cuz as soon as you hit reverse the aft will start moving right and away from the dock.

Shoebox
05-23-2018, 07:10 PM
When you get it right at a crowded dock, you get to step off of your badass machine like a rockstar!
You mean like this? [emoji23]

https://youtu.be/9qHdPhkSSNQ

korey
05-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Something like that!

Darter
05-24-2018, 10:36 AM
To park on that side, if space and depth allows, it's best u-turn and park stern facing shore. You keep the dock on the right, and much easier to park.

Don't forget that you don't need to take a full sweeping u-turn. Turn hard left to nose straight toward the side of the dock (very slowly) about where the forward cleat would end up when parked, keep the wheel left and reverse briefly, then forward a bit, then reverse. Doing this a few times will spin the boat in place without much movement. Keeping the wheel hard left will keep the counter-clockwise spin. The left turn won't affect reverse at these low speeds. The stern will still pull right.

Snowslydder
05-13-2019, 01:05 PM
First docking of the season was not bad. It's one of those docks that you have to get around the post to get to the dock. I can get the nose in there but I can never seem to suck my back end in after I do it. Even on the right side. So I have an angle of attack of about 30 degrees and have to throw the stern line in to get pulled it. Even with multiple calm and controlled one second bumps in reverse with the wheel hard over to the right. I could not pull the back end in without pulling the bow away from the dock. Also there is almost always a beam wind away from the dock as well at the launch I use.

With my Yamaha I could pull into any tight spot lick a champ. This boat I am struggling. But I get it one day.

johnh577777
05-13-2019, 04:42 PM
I’m a little worried about driving my Max onto the boat lift, is it difficult? I’m getting full length guide 9n with rollers.

trayson
05-13-2019, 07:09 PM
If you're less concerned about looking like a NEWB and more concerned about not putting any marks on your boat, then you could certainly get a telescoping docking pole. Sometimes, it's worth sacrificing ego to avoid screwing up your boat. I've had a situation where I've had to dock in a spot where I had to come in past a pontoon, to get the next spot in on the inside of a service dock. so I had the shore on my left, the pontoon on my right, and then the "T" portion of the dock ahead of me with little to no room for error. Basically I had to pass the pontoon and then so directly sideways without hitting my bow on the dock's walkway or the stern on the pontoon's bow. Needless to say, I brought a docking stick on that trip and it's like having telescoping arms that can save your a**. Better than throwing a line as you can push and pull. And really don't even need someone on the dock to "catch" the line with a pole in most situations. Sure, it doesn't "look cool", but it's a tool worth considering if you're in a really difficult spot.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ftT2ofVaL._SL1000_.jpg

Stazi
05-13-2019, 07:45 PM
If you're less concerned about looking like a NEWB and more concerned about not putting any marks on your boat, then you could certainly get a telescoping docking pole. Sometimes, it's worth sacrificing ego to avoid screwing up your boat. I've had a situation where I've had to dock in a spot where I had to come in past a pontoon, to get the next spot in on the inside of a service dock. so I had the shore on my left, the pontoon on my right, and then the "T" portion of the dock ahead of me with little to no room for error. Basically I had to pass the pontoon and then so directly sideways without hitting my bow on the dock's walkway or the stern on the pontoon's bow. Needless to say, I brought a docking stick on that trip and it's like having telescoping arms that can save your a**. Better than throwing a line as you can push and pull. And really don't even need someone on the dock to "catch" the line with a pole in most situations. Sure, it doesn't "look cool", but it's a tool worth considering if you're in a really difficult spot.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ftT2ofVaL._SL1000_.jpg

Yep, got one of those too. They are worth their weight in gold!

Snowslydder
05-16-2019, 05:06 PM
I will buy one as well thanks for the info. I wish these rudder boats sucked in a little better lol. I keep clicking it in and out of reverse with no side ways travel on the stern.

LAwake
05-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Yep, got one of those too. They are worth their weight in gold!

How do you use it Stazi? Just have someone in the boat use it to push and pull off the dock/obstacles to get you aligned while you're driving it in to dock?

Stazi
05-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Exactly. The driver can use it too if you are moving DEAD SLOW, otherwise you first mate just uses the hook to pull on ropes, piling, poles, the edge of a dock or you can push off docks and other things etc with the end piece. You can also use it to reach out and place docks line onto cleats of the dock etc. the video below give you and idea.

https://youtu.be/0YSn3qR_FQw