PDA

View Full Version : Prop talk...To Prop or not to Prop

Prospersigman
05-22-2018, 03:58 PM
I have a 2017 SA 400

After we are done surfing and I want to rip into to party cove I have a heck of a time getting the boat on plane with the Acme 2775 15x12.5 prop I have. This is with pretty much full ballast other than maybe 20% in the starboard rear locker and an additional 750 lbs of lead spread in various places.

My dealer is telling me that I need to go down in pitch and that I should get a 15x11.5 from what I read on here people are doing the OJ 945 which is a 15x13. Which prop do I want to assist in getting the boat on plane with full ballast?

Also my understanding is the center plate always deploys to assist in getting the boat on plane, but if I want to use the Supra "launch" system where all 3 plates deploy I have to have autowake on to deploy all 3 tabs then turn it off once planed out and up to speed?

I am in DFW area so elevation is not a concern.

Stazi
05-22-2018, 05:29 PM
I have a 2017 SA 400

After we are done surfing and I want to rip into to party cove I have a heck of a time getting the boat on plane with the Acme 2775 15x12.5 prop I have. This is with pretty much full ballast other than maybe 20% in the starboard rear locker and an additional 750 lbs of lead spread in various places.

My dealer is telling me that I need to go down in pitch and that I should get a 15x11.5 from what I read on here people are doing the OJ 945 which is a 15x13. Which prop do I want to assist in getting the boat on plane with full ballast?

Also my understanding is the center plate always deploys to assist in getting the boat on plane, but if I want to use the Supra "launch" system where all 3 plates deploy I have to have autowake on to deploy all 3 tabs then turn it off once planed out and up to speed?

Yes, you have to be in autowake to get all three tabs to deploy on take off. You can do this and then either put it into manual or cruise after you’re up on plane. I don’t think you need a lower pitch prop as I have the OJ 945 and it does just fine with 4000 pounds of water on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

russellsmojo
05-23-2018, 12:33 AM
Have you tried advanced wakeboard setting with autowake on? Turn off aw once going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
05-23-2018, 08:34 AM
What engine and gear ratio?

DFTR Josh
05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
I have a 2017 SA 400

I thought on Supra you can turn on LAUNCH without Autowake? You have a prop that will do the job, I'm crazy higher elevation and can get the 400 on plane fully loaded.

Prospersigman
05-23-2018, 01:15 PM
I must be because I am not turning on autowake...I typically never use autowake for either surfing or wakeboarding. I'll try that and report back.

Stazi
05-23-2018, 02:03 PM
I must be because I am not turning on autowake...I typically never use autowake for either surfing or wakeboarding. I'll try that and report back.

In a Moomba, as far as I know, the only way to use the launch feature, which only works in wakeboard mode, ie the surf switch is neutral, is if you are in Autowake mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
05-23-2018, 03:28 PM

I just picked up a 2017 SA, I'll see what I can figure out also.