PDA

View Full Version : Ecoboost engines in marine industry?

Cody
05-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Not sure if it's mentioned anywhere but are there any plans to put the 3.5 Ecoboost engines in the marine format?

Stazi
05-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Not sure if it's mentioned anywhere but are there any plans to put the 3.5 Ecoboost engines in the marine format?

Probably not because the turbos get glowing red hot and the lack of airflow and small engine spaces would mean shit starts melting or burning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
05-22-2018, 02:13 PM

How you diggin your new truck?

Cody
05-22-2018, 02:38 PM
How you diggin your new truck?

Best thing I've ever driven. Haven't had the chance to pull the boat yet but I can only imagine the difference and ease.

korey
05-22-2018, 04:05 PM
PCM JUST (like this week at surf expo) announced direct injection, so maybe some higher tech engines are on their way in the next decade!

http://boatingindustry.com/news/2015/09/10/pcm-launches-new-direct-injection-hyperformance-engines/

But like other jumped right to, cooling will be a problem with any turbo engine. But problems were made to be solved!

korey
05-22-2018, 04:09 PM
PCM JUST (like this week at surf expo) announced direct injection, so maybe some higher tech engines are on their way in the next decade!

http://boatingindustry.com/news/2015/09/10/pcm-launches-new-direct-injection-hyperformance-engines/

But like other jumped right to, cooling will be a problem with any turbo engine. But problems were made to be solved!

scratch that, it's not as new of an announcement as I though - more like 3 years old, LOL.. nevertheless, we all know marine engines are decades behind! I'm impressed by the raptor!

larry_arizona
05-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Turbos would do well in a boat as the one thing that forced induction needs is a sufficient method of heat exchange to keep compressed air cool.

Turbocharger and supercharger need to mitigate intake air temperatures post boost to prevent detonation.

The body of water that you boat on is a MASSIVE heat exchanger. An unlimited source of steady state temp water to feed a water to air heat exchanger.

FTR, The newer GM LT based marine engines are all direct injection and perform well. DI has it’s downfalls but they should do well in Marine applications.

Stazi
05-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Turbos would do well in a boat as the one thing that forced induction needs is a sufficient method of heat exchange to keep compressed air cool.

Turbocharger and supercharger need to mitigate intake air temperatures post boost to prevent detonation.

The body of water that you boat on is a MASSIVE heat exchanger. An unlimited source of steady state temp water to feed a water to air heat exchanger.

FTR, The newer GM LT based marine engines are all direct injection and perform well. DI has it’s downfalls but they should do well in Marine applications.

Sure, same thing as the heat exchanger in the new closed loop cooling systems. But what about the massive amounts of heat from the turbine housing? You also have to remember that in a marine engine the load is practically 100% of the time on the engine, therefore there is no time for the turbos to cool unless you are in idle. Therefore the heat is just going to keep generating in the engine bay and unless it has some humongous heat extraction systems you are not going to be able to keep the temp in the engine bay under control. But what would I know. I only wrote a thesis on turbocharging in college. [emoji851]
The only reason that you see them on large diesels in commercial type applications is because the engine room is massive and also they are able to run low boost levels so that the heat generated in the turbine housing doesn’t become unmanageable. Go price out a Yanmar Diesel powerplant and see what that costs. Then get back to us.

Broke Pilot
05-22-2018, 07:18 PM
The problem with turbos is they need to spool to make power. Unless you do like ford and put a ridiculously tiny exhaust housing on it to make it light off faster at the expense of heat and flow. Hence the glowing red/short life problem.
Positive displacement roots style blowers like a Whipple are great because they build low end power. The boost is instant. That’s why they made it to marine applications very easily. I think even a well executed turbo set up would be hard to drive on the water in a boat that’s not flat out all the time.
Going to a procharger style set up would be the next best option. Efficient like a turbo, but still have the spool to boost issue. They dont like low rpm’s which is where we operate.

larry_arizona
05-22-2018, 07:29 PM
I agree, roots or twin screw supercharger is a superior choice for a boat.

Stazi
05-22-2018, 07:31 PM
The problem with turbos is they need to spool to make power. Unless you do like ford and put a ridiculously tiny exhaust housing on it to make it light off faster at the expense of heat and flow. Hence the glowing red/short life problem.
Positive displacement roots style blowers like a Whipple are great because they build low end power. The boost is instant. That’s why they made it to marine applications very easily. I think even a well executed turbo set up would be hard to drive on the water in a boat that’s not flat out all the time.
Going to a procharger style set up would be the next best option. Efficient like a turbo, but still have the spool to boost issue. They dont like low rpm’s which is where we operate.
Turbo spool due to thermal load. The higher the load, the faster they will spool. In a boat this means that if the turbo is not oversized it will spool quick and stay on boost until you back off the throttle.
In a car when you reach the speed you want, you ease off the gas. This lower the load and consequently the boost. In a boat there is no reduction in load and no “coasting” or low load running unless you are slowing down.
A properly sized supercharger is a better option at the sacrifice of low end performance.

sandm
05-22-2018, 08:45 PM
man, I can only imagine trying to control the turbo lag in a boat pulling a slalom skier out of the water...

hit it.
wait 3 seconds.
rip arms out of sockets.

Broke Pilot
05-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Turbo spool due to thermal load. The higher the load, the faster they will spool. In a boat this means that if the turbo is not oversized it will spool quick and stay on boost until you back off the throttle.
In a car when you reach the speed you want, you ease off the gas. This lower the load and consequently the boost. In a boat there is no reduction in load and no “coasting” or low load running unless you are slowing down.
A properly sized supercharger is a better option at the sacrifice of low end performance.

Size of the turbo has nothing to do with it other than drag and weight of the cartridge. The exhaust housing A/R, turbine wheel design and mainly drive pressure (or like you said, thermal load) determine the spool time. But otherwise yes I agree, there really is no coasting on a boat. Problems will arise on choppy days when you come down from a wave into the face of another (like a normal day on Conroe! Lol) and you get that massive boost surge over and over as the boat tries to power through, assuming little to no extra prop cavitation since you’re on plane. That will be hard on the head gaskets among other things.

Broke Pilot
05-22-2018, 11:06 PM
man, I can only imagine trying to control the turbo lag in a boat pulling a slalom skier out of the water...

hit it.
wait 3 seconds.
rip arms out of sockets.

But we’d all like to see it... lol
Ouch...

rdlangston13
05-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Man, I wish there was a turbo charged engine in a boat somewhere we could all reference....

Do diesels not have these same concerns?

Broke Pilot
05-24-2018, 12:51 PM
I think a diesel in a boat would be an ideal set up if executed correctly. There would be a lot of positives, weight being one! Lol
Diesels are big and heavy so they’re slower to react due to the weight of the rotating assembly. They also need boost to make decent, clean power. Think back to the 70s and 80s old ford diesel smoke machine trucks, and big rigs of the day. We’ve come a long way with direct injection on diesels and turbos.
The massive low end torque would be amazing, but again you’d have to have a super tiny turbo to get the Performance we need.
I just don’t think the EPA would let it happen without all this emissions crap they’re saddling the new trucks with which is troublesome at best. I’m dealing with it right now in my new Cummins, trying to decide if I’m gonna delete it or not.

Stazi
05-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Man, I wish there was a turbo charged engine in a boat somewhere we could all reference....

Do diesels not have these same concerns?

Diesel are usually used in large boats with engine rooms so that there is plenty of space around them. They also require significant air cooling of said room.

rdlangston13
05-24-2018, 08:58 PM
Diesels are used in all larger boats with the exception of Navy craft pretty much. They are also used in smaller boats as well. I’ve been fishing in smaller diesel center consoles not much bigger than our boats.

Broke Pilot
05-24-2018, 11:48 PM
I just dunno if you’d have the driveabililty pulling people.
But I’d love to give it a shot. Lol
Take that 5.0L Cummins outta the Nissan trucks and throw it in an SE or Mojo. That’d be slick no matter what

Shoebox
05-25-2018, 12:08 AM
https://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-with-6.6L-Duramax-Diesel-Engine-for-sale-South-Vienna-OH-Ohio-80950.aspx

https://youtu.be/VFOugOHo0Y0

Edo88
05-27-2018, 10:11 PM
https://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-with-6.6L-Duramax-Diesel-Engine-for-sale-South-Vienna-OH-Ohio-80950.aspx

https://youtu.be/VFOugOHo0Y0

I’m not a tree hugger by any means but that dude is a jackass rolling coal in a lake just dumping soot in it.

Shoebox
05-27-2018, 10:21 PM
I’m not a tree hugger by any means but that dude is a jackass rolling coal in a lake just dumping soot in it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot saying it's a good idea, just that it's been done.