PDA

View Full Version : Multiple switches turn the stereo on, and they do not turn the intended accessory on

hymanykd
05-21-2018, 12:26 PM
This was posted in the electrical section but more of a repair item than stereo. Just got out of storage. Hooked the batteries back up and went to run the stereo and got nothing. Once I figured out the headunit was off, the stereo worked, however if I try to turn on the blower, nav lights, or docking lights the stereo stays on but the light on the switch goes out.. ALSO if the stereo switch if off, those three switches will turn the stereo on. The main breakers are not tripped and both have been reset. Boat runs fine otherwise. Obviously those switches are not turning the intended accessory they are hooked to on. Any ideas? It was all working find end of the year.

zabooda
05-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Check the voltage on both sides of the light when it goes out. If you have a voltage on the ground side, then you have a floating ground. The bad ground will affect components of higher amperage the worst but still have a reduced voltage for smaller loads. I would jumper the ground wires of the suspect circuit to the battery ground and see if that clears it up.

MLA
05-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Hooked the batteries back up

Id start right here. Sounds like a misplaced or left off cable, likely a ground. Very this time of year when boats come out of hibernation and batteries get put back in.

hymanykd
05-21-2018, 11:43 PM
Id start right here. Sounds like a misplaced or left off cable, likely a ground. Very this time of year when boats come out of hibernation and batteries get put back in.

I have one question regarding the hookup for the battery. There is two black wires that are at the battery box. One that goes one the main terminal and one that goes on the stud? I am assuming the blacks are both grounds? As well is there a main location of the a ground bar for all the accessories or how are the grounded out?