PDA

View Full Version : Ballast bag fittings issue

Rush
05-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Anyone else having their fittings continually pop off on their Max? I’ve repositioned bags numerous times. Even if I only fill them 3/4 they still pop off.

BigOrange
05-20-2018, 05:52 PM
If you haven't used PVC cement to glue your threaded fittings to your bags that is going to happen.

MLA
05-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Factory setup or aftermarket sacs? Threaded fitting coming out of threaded sac port or quick connect coming off sac fittings?

Rush
05-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Factory setup. Female quick connectors popping of male fitting on the bags

KnoxMojo
05-20-2018, 06:39 PM
They should have red push down clips that you engage after putting the fitting on. Do yours not? Any photos? Those always help.

Rush
05-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Yep, they’re engaged. When I put them back on and tug on them they stay connected, one fill and they pop off

KnoxMojo
05-20-2018, 07:11 PM
Is it the fill/drain line or the overflow? That is really strange.

Rush
05-20-2018, 07:18 PM
All 4 fill/drains. there’s 2 on each bag. It’s weird.

KnoxMojo
05-20-2018, 07:24 PM
I had an issue with one of my fittings popping out of the bag itself. I ended up unscrewing the clamps holding the hose to the deck that way it could flex and articulate some. That fixed my issue. Not saying yours is doing that, but it is an easy place to start. You may want to get your dealer involved. That is a lot of water your bilge is having to pump out.

MLA
05-20-2018, 07:25 PM
Id look close at the black part of the fitting where the red locking collar travels on, may find its broken. This is usually the case when the collar acts like its locked but the fitting still pops off.

KnoxMojo
05-20-2018, 07:28 PM
MLA makes a good point. To build on that, make sure it is fully seated, it takes a bit of pressure to get them all the way on.

LAwake
05-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Id look close at the black part of the fitting where the red locking collar travels on, may find its broken. This is usually the case when the collar acts like its locked but the fitting still pops off.

THIS is exactly what happened to mine. It looked like it was locked down, first time out, filled bag, it held fine, took off, bag moved a little and because it was only actually held in place by one side of the clip, the entire 650# bag unloaded. Scared the hell out of me since the family was in the boat. Bilge pump saved me and I jumped down in the rear compartment and used the ballast pump on drain setting to help get rid of the water as well.

Rush
05-20-2018, 11:45 PM
With the trays, you can’t see. The fitting popped on an 1100 lb bag. Put so much water in the boat it was coming up through the hatch for the center plug. Boat started to run rough as the motor and belts were all covered in water.

RC_Hinojosa
05-21-2018, 09:49 AM
With the trays, you can’t see. The fitting popped on an 1100 lb bag. Put so much water in the boat it was coming up through the hatch for the center plug. Boat started to run rough as the motor and belts were all covered in water.

This happened on my first outing with the new Enzo bags, one of the fill/drain lines popped off...we heard water shooting out of the boat and realized the bilge kicked on. Luckily we caught it before it got bad and I haven't had an issue with the quick connects since then.

Boonejeepin
05-21-2018, 01:18 PM
I actually replaced the fill/drain hoses with much longer hoses (probably 8-9 feet in total) which loop around underneath the bag relieving any pressure from the fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rush
05-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Figured it out, the overflow hose is kinking up underneath close to the hull fitting. Rerouted and should be better. Going to rerun them when I get it out of the water

dieselmore
05-01-2019, 12:51 AM
Figured it out, the overflow hose is kinking up underneath close to the hull fitting. Rerouted and should be better. Going to rerun them when I get it out of the water

Did that fix your problem? I'm having the same issue on my max as well. Starboard side has popped off 3 times, and port side has poped off twice now. It's getting kind of annoying at this point.

spatty99
05-01-2019, 03:05 PM
I had the fitting (with red locking tab thingy) pop on my Helix. I was able to attach a zip tie around the hose just above the red tab, which acts like a second locking tab and haven't had a fitting pop since (knock on wood).

dieselmore
05-02-2019, 01:31 AM
I had the fitting (with red locking tab thingy) pop on my Helix. I was able to attach a zip tie around the hose just above the red tab, which acts like a second locking tab and haven't had a fitting pop since (knock on wood).

Thanks ill give that a try.

07-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Dieselmore,

How did that work for you? I've had bags pop twice now flooding my boat before I noticed. Anyone one else have this issue? I'm looking for permanent solution so tat I can fill my bags and not be constantly checking them. Which is a pain with the storage trays installed.

spatty99
07-17-2019, 03:38 PM
My fitting with zip tie eventually popped again. It stayed for a long time, but popped immediately after I was jostling the bag around when working in the engine bay.
I think the hose/bag need to align just right to stay together, and a zip tie helps as backup. This time I moved the zip tie as close to the bag as possible (under the locking tabs), hopefully stays put for good.

07-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Thanks.

My dealer suggested I go in and get a replacement red lock ring and try that first. If that doesn’t work I should bring the boat in to have the fitting replaced.

Have had a chance to try that yet.

Hope it’s just a back ring and not fitting.

I’ll try the ring in the one that pops and zip tie the rest and see how I make out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk