PDA

View Full Version : Oil

matman
10-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Manual reads to use Penn 15W40 Marine Engine Oil.

Local Joe here says not neccessary. To use NAPA valvoline 30W. Says Penn is crap and not sufficent.

Also, didn't realize there is a marine grade vs. vehicle??

Can someone shed some light here. :?

qb12
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
matman, if you do a search you will see this topic has been discussed over and over.

from my understanding you need to stick with a 15w/40. in my area i cannot find pennzoil 15/40 marine "anywhere". i contacted indmar and they said any 15/40 would be fine as long as it meet certain restriction.

i have been using rotella in my last two skiers choice boats and have had no problems.

Buttafewcoe
10-06-2006, 12:54 PM
:?

Engine Nut
10-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Manual reads to use Penn 15W40 Marine Engine Oil.

Local Joe here says not neccessary. To use NAPA valvoline 30W. Says Penn is crap and not sufficent.

Also, didn't realize there is a marine grade vs. vehicle??

Can someone shed some light here. :?

We would really like to see you stick with 15W40 grade oil. It is not necessary to use Pennzoil. The Shell Rotella that was mentioned by some of the others is great.

The 15W40 oil is a grade that was created for heavy duuy use in diesel engines and it just so happens to meet our requirements very well. Will straight 30W oil ruin your engine ... no, but we see better all around results from 15W40.

As far as Pennzoil being inferior oil, thats just not true, but people have loyalties to oil brands just like they have to other things. I'm sure you could find somone out there that would say the same negative thing about any kind of oil out there. Basically, if you use a recognized major brand of oil and you change the oil and filter per tha maintenance schedule, you won't have a problem.

Engine Nut

smokedog2
10-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I vote synthetic in the same wt range.

Engine Nut
10-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I vote synthetic in the same wt range.

Synthetic is fine once the engine has at least 100 hours of operation. Using synthetic too early in a marine engine might not let the rings seat into the cylinder walls properly. Also, using synthetic oil in a marine engine does not extend the oil change interval like it does in a car or truck. Marine engines run cooler than automotive engines so the oil doesn't get hot enough to rid itself of impurires theough evaporation.

Engine Nut