PDA

View Full Version : Max cruising range of Mojo with Raptor 400

lsupcar
05-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Thinking about making a 110 mile round trip up then back down river departing from and returning to my boat lift.
No fuel stops on the way.
With reserve let’s say 125 mike round trip
Boat listed as having a 49 gallon tank, but don’t want to run too low for fear of damaging the fuel pump.
Probably need at least 3 mpg.
Anyone have real world experience?
I don’t want to idle the whole way. Let’s say at least 25 mph to at least stay on plane.
Do we know mpg or gallons per hour at certain speeds?
Oh yea. I also have the optional acme surf/wakeboard prop offered for my 2015.
Probably will take extra gas containers. What the best way to do this? Secured some way on the swim platform?
Thanks.
Bill Z

zabooda
05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
I've done a 90 mile round trip in my younger days. We skied too much and people "donated" gas to get back. You will need to find out the optimal cruise speed and fuel consumption at that speed. Assume you get 5gph and you do the 125 mile trip at 25mph then you will consume 25 gallons of gas in the 5 hours of driving which leaves almost a half of tank. If you carry extra gas, get good gas cans and place near the stern as you can get as there is less bounce. The deck is good unless you plan to surf than they are in the way. Just get the gas in the tank when there is space available. Vent the cans on occasion as the temperatures warm up. Have fun.

trayson
05-11-2018, 04:19 PM
So this is very ROUGH, but on my XLV, I know that I use about 4 gallons round trip to get to/from our normal play spot. I just mapped out the distance and it looks like probably 7.5 miles each way. so best guess is that I get 3.75 miles per gallon on the water. I have the Fuel injected MPI 340 Cat ETX and a 23' XLV. when I'm motoring I'm typically at 3000 to 3500 RPM's.

So if that's helpful at all...

I use the VP Racing fuel jugs. It'd be pretty easy to put the extra fuel jugs in your rear lockers. I mean, it's kinda like ballast! lol.

Darter
05-11-2018, 09:06 PM
A few things I can contribute... Keep your speed reduced to a bit above on plane speeds. You need to be planed out to reduce wetted hull surface, and you don't want to be so close to planing speed that the boat drops off plane occasionally.

Also, lock your speed and watch the rpms. Then do things like opening the windshield, stowing the bimini, etc. If the rpms drop and the speed is still constant, then your engine is burning less fuel.

Don't tow anyone, and keep the ballast empty.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

lsupcar
05-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the comments.
We will see how it goes.