PDA

View Full Version : Engine Trouble - 2008 Moomba LSV

kerryoneal
05-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Hi service guys. I am looking for some guidance on Engine Trouble I am having with my 2008 Moomba LSV.
I will describe the chain of events and if anyone has any insight, please share.

1. Saturday, I launched boat and started up and ran fine for an hour or so. I tied the boat up behind my camp and shut it down and went in for lunch. When I came back 30 minutes later and tried to start the engine, it would not start completely and sort of started but was mumbling, like only on one cylinder and then shut off. It would not allow me to give any throttle, just sort of low mumbled and then shut off. It would not start after several attempts. It also did not smell right. So, I left it in the water overnight.

2. Sunday am. I cranked the boat and it started fine. I ran the boat for 30 minutes or so and it ran fine. I tied up the boat and shut it off and went in the camp for a half hour or so. I came back to the boat and tried to start it and it would not start all the way and repeated the Saturday episode described above as #1. I had to leave this day so I towed it to the ramp and pulled it out of the water and brought the boat back to my home so I can take it in for service.

3. Tuesday afternoon, at home with boat on trailer, I cranked engine to see if it would start and it started right away and sounded fine.

I am baffled by this and the boat shop said they will have a hard time diagnosing the problem if the engine starts and sounds fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thank You!

zabooda
05-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Fuel injection? May be vapor lock.

kerryoneal
05-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Engine is a Indmar 325. I am not sure if it is carburetor or fuel injection???

kerryoneal
05-09-2018, 03:10 PM
In summary when its cold it seems to start and run fine. But after it runs and I shut it off for a while and then try to restart, it acts up and won't start as described above.

Poison
05-09-2018, 03:20 PM
This sounds like a textbook case of vapor lock.

That year of boat was the tail end of the year groups affected.

Do a search and there will be tons of info. If my 07 does it (which it rarely has since switching to non-ethanol fuel) I can pour a bottle of water on the fuel pump and it clears it right up.

There are also kits you can buy on skidim that adds a secondary pump to fix it but I never got around to doing that.

Edit: 2008 might have been the first year they started putting in 2 fuel pumps, can’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z28ke
05-09-2018, 05:13 PM
My 2008 did that (vapor lock) one time in 10 years of owning it. I bled the extra fuel pressure off from the schraeder valve on the fuel rail on the engine(unscrew a little round cap and it looks like the valve in a tire, press on it with a screwdriver - fuel will shoot out FYI) and she fired right up.

sscott0203
05-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Sounds very similar to what was happening to my 09 LSV last summer. I could tap on the fuel pump to get started again.

See the link below, I haven’t had a problem in 30 hours or so after doing this.

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/FuelPumpMaintain.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
05-13-2018, 10:40 PM
vapor lock. my ext340 in the '06 supra did it as well.
pour a bottle of water on the pump and filter and it'll fire right up as poison mentioned. worked every time for us.

we found running the blower every time the engine was on took care of it. your results may vary :)

mikepo26
05-14-2018, 06:19 AM
i would double check your cap and rotor, mine did this the first year i had my 08 lsv, and try leaving the hatch open when you go to lunch, cool air on your engine is your friend