PDA

View Full Version : reverse lock out

mikepo26
05-09-2018, 06:35 AM
anyone over ride the reverse lock out wiring? i know there is a manual lock but didnt know if anyone did it electronically? 08 boat mate single alxe

Stazi
05-09-2018, 06:56 AM
anyone over ride the reverse lock out wiring? i know there is a manual lock but didnt know if anyone did it electronically? 08 boat mate single alxe

To engage it electronically you have to energize the pin that would normally be connected to the reverse lights, with 12V

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DOCDRS
05-11-2018, 02:45 PM
If you are useing a 4 pin connector, rotate 180 and slide over so light pin is on the 5 (reverse pin). Trailer should be gounded via the hitch. afaik

trayson
05-11-2018, 04:23 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? Engaging the lockout so your brakes don't grab? I've done that two ways, one with the u-shaped pin on the side of the surge tongue and the other with the fluid reservoir cap that's designed to lockout the brakes when you turn it.

mikepo26
05-11-2018, 09:38 PM
i had no issue last spring with my reverse lock out on my ridgeline but last fall it kept blowing fuses, i can trace the issue, but i back my boat in the water in may and back i in my driveway in october , i a]have a manual override pin but it falls out untill it has tension. i seem to always be alone or have 0 help when i back the boat in the water at my camp ground boat launch and when i bring it home. just looking for a simple way around rewiring my trailer and diving into my ridgeline wiring

Darter
05-11-2018, 09:45 PM
I've never had an issue backing down a ramp. Is the ramp you use very bumpy?

For the garage, I wrap masking tape over the pin to keep it in place.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

trayson
05-11-2018, 09:50 PM
i had no issue last spring with my reverse lock out on my ridgeline but last fall it kept blowing fuses, i can trace the issue, but i back my boat in the water in may and back i in my driveway in october , i a]have a manual override pin but it falls out untill it has tension. i seem to always be alone or have 0 help when i back the boat in the water at my camp ground boat launch and when i bring it home. just looking for a simple way around rewiring my trailer and diving into my ridgeline wiring

The only reason you need to use lock out on a surge trailer is for backing up hill.

And it's pretty easy to throw a piece of tape over the lockout pin to keep it from falling out.

I'm guessing the only reason you would have fuses blowing in your Ridgeline is because there is a short in your trailer wiring.

If you're backing the trailer downhill like into the water, the brake actuator on the surge tongue will naturally be extended and it will not be engaging your brakes. Only when trying to back up hill would it compress and try to actuate your brakes.

mikepo26
05-14-2018, 06:27 AM
the camp ground launch requires a 3 point turn to back boats in and the surge brakes should engage whenever the tongue it depressed, no matter the altitude, i guess i will have to re wire the trailer this year

Darter
05-14-2018, 07:03 AM
Sounds like you only have a 4 pin harness on your tow vehicle? Or it's not sending 12v when your reverse lights are on? If this is the case, rewiring the car is in order.

Or just temporarily lock out the brakes.

mikepo26
05-14-2018, 08:42 AM
nope have a factory honda round conn with e brake lock out,

Darter
05-14-2018, 09:21 AM
OK. There's also a round lockout that can be placed on the top of the tongue that won't fall out. Because it won't fall out, you must remember to remove it or you'll not have brakes when you need them.