PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Moomba Won't Start

eml0130
05-08-2018, 09:34 PM
I went to go test run my 2000 Moomba Kanga today and it will not start/crank/anything. There is not even a clicking noise. All other electronics/gauges work. Below is what I have checked and tried (I need to verify how to rule out the solenoid):

-Jumped solenoid for the starter between the 12vdc main cable post and the solenoid post and the engine cranks over and starts. (Does this indicate that the solenoid is good?).
-Battery is good and has been maintained on a tender.
-The safety switch was removed prior to me getting the boat so it's not that.
-Made sure the ignition breaker on the dash wasn't popped.
-Made sure the main breaker on the back of the engine wasn't popped.
-Made sure the main harness connection wasn't loose.
-Checked over cable/wire connections for any loose, didn't find anything.
-Checked throttle to be in neutral.
-Checked that while in neutral the safety switch was reading short and while in gear it reads open.
-Pulled the ignition switch and checked continuity while in the "start" position.
-Checked voltage at the wires going to the ignition switch and there is 12vdc on the battery lead like their should be.
-With the ignition switch removed I took a test lead and touched the battery lead going to the ignition switch with the starter lead and nothing, no crank/click/anything.

I'm at a loss any help would be much appreciated.

Stazi
05-08-2018, 09:43 PM
I went to go test run my 2000 Moomba Kanga today and it will not start/crank/anything. There is not even a clicking noise. All other electronics/gauges work. Below is what I have checked and tried (I need to verify how to rule out the solenoid):

-Jumped solenoid for the starter between the 12vdc main cable post and the solenoid post and the engine cranks over and starts. (Does this indicate that the solenoid is good?).
-Battery is good and has been maintained on a tender.
-The safety switch was removed prior to me getting the boat so it's not that.
-Made sure the ignition breaker on the dash wasn't popped.
-Made sure the main breaker on the back of the engine wasn't popped.
-Made sure the main harness connection wasn't loose.
-Checked over cable/wire connections for any loose, didn't find anything.
-Checked throttle to be in neutral.
-Checked that while in neutral the safety switch was reading short and while in gear it reads open.
-Pulled the ignition switch and checked continuity while in the "start" position.
-Checked voltage at the wires going to the ignition switch and there is 12vdc on the battery lead like their should be.
-With the ignition switch removed I took a test lead and touched the battery lead going to the ignition switch with the starter lead and nothing, no crank/click/anything.

I'm at a loss any help would be much appreciated.

If you jumped the solenoid and it doesn’t even engage, then is has to be the starter. Either that or the battery is junk and shows 12V but can’t put out any amps....it’s happened to others on here before. Got another battery to try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eml0130
05-08-2018, 09:50 PM
When I jump the solenoid it cranks fine and starts. I also swapped batteries and still the same result.

MPB
05-08-2018, 10:26 PM
It has to be in the control circuit somewhere. Either key switch is not sending power to the solenoid, or the connections off the neutral switch are not allowing voltage to the starter solenoid. See if you have Battery voltage at the solenoid when in start position. If not, trace backwards until you find power. Check connections for corrosion as well. If your starter turns over and starts when you jump the connections, you have good voltage and the solenoid works. Good Luck.

Stazi
05-08-2018, 10:29 PM
It has to be in the control circuit somewhere. Either key switch is not sending power to the solenoid, or the connections off the neutral switch are not allowing voltage to the starter solenoid. See if you have Battery voltage at the solenoid when in start position. If not, trace backwards until you find power. Check connections for corrosion as well. If your starter turns over and starts when you jump the connections, you have good voltage and the solenoid works. Good Luck.

Yep, what he said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eml0130
05-08-2018, 10:31 PM
As far as ruling out the key switch, if I jumped the 12vdc from the battery to the start wire it should crank correct or am I missing something?

Also when I check for voltage at the starter with it in "start" should I see 12vdc on the small cable as well as the main cable from the battery? As I understand it the small cable should get power and that would then engage the solenoid and allow the power from the main cable on the starter to drive the starter.

eml0130
05-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Fixed! I took voltages working back from the starter solenoid with the ignition switch in "start". I found that the voltage was reading 12vdc at the output of the neutral switch and on the input of the solenoid relay. The relay terminal lugs had some corrosion on them. I sanded it off and is started right up. Thanks!

kaneboats
05-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Great teamwork fellas!