PDA

View Full Version : 330HP MPI Indmar runs sluggish

wdf
06-14-2003, 10:20 PM
2000 330 HP Indmar MPI (injected) engine runs sluggish when throttle is advanced. In fact, if throttle is advanced quickly, it will die. If advanced slowly, it seems to mis or stumble, then "catches" and will run fine. Note, this happens anytime the throttle is advanced, i.e., even if I am going 40 mph and advance the throttle, it stumbles then will catch.

I have replaced the in-line fuel filter and installed new plugs. The analog temp guage reads 175-190 deg.

Any ideas? No dealer near me.

Brian Raymond
06-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Is this a new or existing problem, and for how long? Does this happen all the time, or under load? Is the motor running rich(black residue on transom), or leaning out(pops at times with full throttle)? Have you had previous work done to the motor, and who did the winterization/water ready service? There can be several fixes, all info. will help. Do you see raw gas(rainbow water) coming from the stbd. ex. when warming up un the ramp, or picking up skiers? Keep me posted. Brian Raymond

wdf
06-14-2003, 11:58 PM
I just got the boat, used, so I do not have a long history.

There is black residue on the transom. No "pop".
No rainbow as far as I have seen.
Happens whether under load or not.
Boat used throughout winter so no "official" winterization.

I did notice that the blower motor is not working and popping the breaker. Can this cause this problem? I would think it would at start off from 0 but why would this contribute when going from 40 mph?

Brian Raymond
06-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Have fuel press. checked, should be 38lbs. at idle, 40lbs running, and up to 42lbs.W.O.T. Verify that the hose coming from the brass fuel pump(lo press.)outlet to the Hi Press. pump(blk and cylindrical) is not twisted at all. A open or grounded out coolant temperature sensor may also play a roll. The throttle position sensor may also have a roll in this. Brian Raymond

Brian Raymond
06-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Have fuel press. checked, should be 38lbs. at idle, 40lbs running, and up to 42lbs.W.O.T. Verify that the hose coming from the brass fuel pump(lo press.)outlet to the Hi Press. pump(blk and cylindrical) is not twisted at all. A open or grounded out coolant temperature sensor may also play a roll. The throttle position sensor may also have a roll in this. Brian Raymond

wdf
06-15-2003, 12:30 AM
Thanks, I'll check that. By the way, where is the throttle position sensor?

One other thing I noticed when replacing the fuel filter, there was a single wire hanging loose on the back left of the engine (passenger side at rear) near the fuel pump. Could this have pulled off a sensor or pump or is it an unused accessory wire?

It is brown with a blue end connector and is wrapped in the plastic protector and says "H5927" on a label on it.

wdf
06-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Follow up status report:

After the boat ran "sluggush", it would not start at all the next time out. The electric fuel pump would not run. Traced wires, checked fuses and relays--still no power to fuel pump.

Shipped the ECM to Indmar for reprogramming, now runs great. Thansk to Brian Raymond for suggesting it might have been a faulty fuel pump relay driver.