PDA

View Full Version : Kicker Amp Protection Mode/14' Mobius

BlatinD
05-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Hey Guys,

Anyone have experience troubleshooting amps in protect mode? I have a 2014 Mobius LSV with all the factory stuff (8 speakers total, no sub). It has 2 amps (1 for tower and 1 for on-board). The problem is on AMP 2. It has the 6 kicker inboard speakers on it. The 2 bow speakers are on 2 of the channels and the left and right deck speakers are in series on the other 2 channels. It came wired like that from Skiers Choice (which seems like the most logical setup). Everything worked fine for a few Summers but now all of a sudden it's going into protect mode. It's in protect mode right away (battery switch on/stereo switch on). Even when I switch to run and start the engine...protect mode.

I checked voltage to the terminals on the battery and the amp separately. Both seem like they are in the proper range (12-14v). I disconnected all the speakers and checked continuity to ensure none of the speakers are shorted and they aren't. All are reading roughly 4 ohms. I'm pretty sure this leaves the Head unit, remote wire, or it's simply a bad amp. The amp comes out of protect mode randomly for a bit but never stays on consistently so I know that the amp at least works sometimes. Does anyone have any experience with troubleshooting an amp in protect mode? It's intermittent so it's making me scratch my head.

The fuses aren't blown and I checked the grounds. Could it be the head unit or remote wire? Battery maybe (even though it was reading good voltage)? Could it be the amp settings on the gain or crossover? I did mess with them a bit. Not entirely sure how that all works. Any help would be great.

MLA
05-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Both seem like they are in the proper range (12-14v).

This is a 2 volt spread. if you measured 14 at the battery and 12 at the amp, theres a cable issue. Can you clarify when you measured, engine on/off and which location measured what?

Did you power the amp up when you had the speaker wires removed?

Turn-on circuit is unlikely.

RCA input is possible. Amp tuning can be a factor, if this would be a case where it would be an issue from the time the amp was put in service with those settings.