PDA

View Full Version : Is my ballast bag trashed?

LAwake
05-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Entire fitting popped out when I tried to pry it sideways after putting the hairdryer on it.

MLA
05-03-2018, 08:56 PM
That fitting is done for sure. A large raft patch might cover it, but you will need to add a new thru-hull for the hose that was there.

Stazi
05-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Entire fitting popped out when I tried to pry it sideways after putting the hairdryer on it.

Damn. I’ve never seen anyone manage that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAwake
05-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Damn. I’ve never seen anyone manage that before.

Oh, now you have my friend. Trust me, that biatch was glued in there like something fierce. The first two came right out. This one had more glue showing than any other the others. I ran the dryer for several 5-8 minute intervals then tried getting it, no luck. Ran it about 10 minutes, pried it sideways and BOOM the whole fitting popped out. I was like WTH?

Stazi
05-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Oh, now you have my friend. Trust me, that biatch was glued in there like something fierce. The first two came right out. This one had more glue showing than any other the others. I ran the dryer for several 5-8 minute intervals then tried getting it, no luck. Ran it about 10 minutes, pried it sideways and BOOM the whole fitting popped out. I was like WTH?
That sucks man. I wonder if you can glue it back in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LAwake
05-03-2018, 09:24 PM
That sucks man. I wonder if you can glue it back in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I was hoping someone would comment on and maybe know a little more about them. I guess I'm the village idiot that was able to break it THAT BAD. LOL
I hate to throw the bag away if I might could salvage it, especially since it's just going to be an add on bag to be used on light crew days with a portable pump. It won't actually be on a pump in a compartment with a vent/overflow being used constantly.

Stazi
05-04-2018, 08:37 AM
That's what I was hoping someone would comment on and maybe know a little more about them. I guess I'm the village idiot that was able to break it THAT BAD. LOL
I hate to throw the bag away if I might could salvage it, especially since it's just going to be an add on bag to be used on light crew days with a portable pump. It won't actually be on a pump in a compartment with a vent/overflow being used constantly.

If it were me, I’d try to reglue the fitting back in.

MLA
05-04-2018, 09:38 AM
The issue is that fitting's flange ripped out of the vinyl where it was originally welled in. There is nothing to glue back in or repair. Only fix for the sac, as stated above, is to cover the hole with a large raft type patch.

BigOrange
05-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Try flex-tape...if it holds you might get on TV right next the screen door boat!!! Seriously, that stinks.

shockthis
05-04-2018, 11:47 AM
when you try to take it out out and pull side ways , you have to hold the flange down with your shoe other wise the above happens. I may have some 750's for sale

LAwake
05-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Try flex-tape...if it holds you might get on TV right next the screen door boat!!! Seriously, that stinks.

This right here, post of the day! LOL
Yes, it does stink considering this bag is literally brand new, as in never used. Filled it once on the day I demo'd the boat. I just hit 12 hours on boat so this weekend will be our first trip out to actually use the ballasts.

LAwake
05-04-2018, 03:15 PM
when you try to take it out out and pull side ways , you have to hold the flange down with your shoe other wise the above happens. I may have some 750's for sale

Yea, I had it under my shoe but my size 12 trying to hold down a 2mm plastic ring wasn't having much luck. It was held down but I was having to push over so hard to get glue to release, my foot slipped off, over it went, and out it came. Price of doing business I reckon.

LAwake
05-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Anyone know where I might could locate a raft patch?

jmvotto
05-04-2018, 03:24 PM
I used this when I vented my center bag

put it in upside down. marine clear 3200 glue

downfall you lose the threads but it will hard plumb.

https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/1-18-fittings/ma-041-qlb

bergermaister
05-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Have faith. I thought I had destroyed an 1180 gravity games bag - did the exact same thing. I fixed it with a new port and it has held for years. I’m on the road right now but will dig up details for you when I get a chance.

Thank Trayson for this one!

MJHSupra
05-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Google a outfitter raft company. They have the patches for that bag.

You can buy a portable pump for a little over $100. You will have some good ballast for those low-people-days. Like this:

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tsunami-pump.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwibDXBRCyARIsAFHp4frB_3ZhdA epZMfZ2peLKRxIPf_asryUjccGsE0aPvqvIkeCW9kkYLIaAq_A EALw_wcB

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

LAwake
05-04-2018, 11:00 PM
Google a outfitter raft company. They have the patches for that bag.

You can buy a portable pump for a little over $100. You will have some good ballast for those low-people-days. Like this:

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tsunami-pump.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwibDXBRCyARIsAFHp4frB_3ZhdA epZMfZ2peLKRxIPf_asryUjccGsE0aPvqvIkeCW9kkYLIaAq_A EALw_wcB

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Yea, that's what brought all this on. I put in WM 1140s in the rear, took out the stock 650s. Bought check valve fittings, plugs, and a Tsunami pump. I was trying to heat up and remove the glued in stock nipple fittings and get the 650 stock fat sac bag back to stock threaded openings so I could install the new check valve fittings and plug the vent/overflow fitting. Heated it up with hair dryer and was attempting to remove the fittings when the entire assembly came undone. Luckily, it was the vent/overflow valve so I think I can patch it with like material and just use the air purge that's already on there as my purge. This broke fitting was just going to be plugged anyway. The issue that still remains is that the fill/drain valve fitting is still glued in and intact so I still have to attempt to remove it so I can install check valve to be able to use pump.

shockthis
05-05-2018, 01:40 AM
the fittings are pretty cheap , most wakeboard boat shops should carry them in stock.

LAwake
05-05-2018, 10:01 AM
the fittings are pretty cheap , most wakeboard boat shops should carry them in stock.
I don’t need a fitting. The entire flange that the fitting is attached to came unwelded from inside the bag. In a perfect world, I’d like to be able to get a stock threaded fitting reinstalled back in the bag, which is what I was trying to do when this happened, but that’s something only Fatsac could do and I don’t know how cost effective it would be. I’m thinking about contacting them to see if it’s something they could repair at my cost.

MLA
05-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Ive been told by Fly High that the fittings are welded in from the inside, before the final seal is closed and welded. No adding/replacing threaded ports.

jstenger
05-05-2018, 05:41 PM
I used this when I vented my center bag

put it in upside down. marine clear 3200 glue

downfall you lose the threads but it will hard plumb.

https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/1-18-fittings/ma-041-qlbI did the same. Used 5200, and never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LAwake
05-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Ive been told by Fly High that the fittings are welded in from the inside, before the final seal is closed and welded. No adding/replacing threaded ports.

Thanks, that's good information to know.

LAwake
05-05-2018, 08:06 PM
I did the same. Used 5200, and never had any issues.

So, you put it in upside down, then the top edge of the bag goes between it and the nut? You tighten down the nut and it seals it? You use the 5200 to make sure its glued in and doesn't leak. The flo-rite valve fitting is hollow as well isn't it so you have to put 5200 in it to seal it off as well?

Stazi
05-05-2018, 08:15 PM
So, you put it in upside down, then the top edge of the bag goes between it and the nut? You tighten down the nut and it seals it? You use the 5200 to make sure its glued in and doesn't leak. The flo-rite valve fitting is hollow as well isn't it so you have to put 5200 in it to seal it off as well?

They just did that to plum it into the built in ballast. Cos you can see the regulars Florite connector fitting in that pic. In your situation I would try and get the flange piece back inside the bag and glue it from the inside with 5200. It will be tricky but you can put the glue on the face of the flange and then once it’s in place press the bag onto the flange to adhere the two.

jstenger
05-05-2018, 09:47 PM
So, you put it in upside down, then the top edge of the bag goes between it and the nut? You tighten down the nut and it seals it? You use the 5200 to make sure its glued in and doesn't leak. The flo-rite valve fitting is hollow as well isn't it so you have to put 5200 in it to seal it off as well?The flange that is normally on the outside of the boat goes on the inside of the bag with 5200 on the flat face. The nut goes on the outside of the bag with 5200 on the flat face. Hold the thru hull and tighten the nut. Make sure the thru hull is centered in the hole. Done, nothing else. Let it cure.

jmvotto
05-07-2018, 09:06 AM
The flange that is normally on the outside of the boat goes on the inside of the bag with 5200 on the flat face. The nut goes on the outside of the bag with 5200 on the flat face. Hold the thru hull and tighten the nut. Make sure the thru hull is centered in the hole. Done, nothing else. Let it cure.

yes this and do you need the threads or would just like to have them .

you could add this and fill the up half of the fitting with epoxy to cap it if you have addition thread for the tsumani pump to fill and drain from . then if you want to hard plumb it just pull the cap .

https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/1-18-fittings/ma-040

bergermaister
05-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Flo rite 1-1/8" Thru-Hull, Flanged Elbow, Qwik-Lok @ about $4
Flo rite 1-1/8" Qwik-Lok Socket, Straight @ about $2

I had to cut out some of the old port mounting area to get the new into it - cleaned it up and added a minor slit. Add 5200 sealant around the perimeter as others have said. Tighten the nut down and let it completely cure.

Yes, the fitting size/style are different than my others but I don't move this bag around ever. It does come in and out just as easily as the others.

I did this in August of 2014 and it's still holding just fine.

https://i.imgur.com/qU5DCEr.jpg

MJHSupra
05-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Bergermaister - looks professional. Well played.

LAwake
05-07-2018, 02:11 PM
yes this and do you need the threads or would just like to have them .
I either need threads to screw in a 1 1/8" plug or completely seal off the hole with some type of patch and never use it again. This stock bag was going to be reused with a portable pump and not hard plumed in the ballast system. The fitting that came out was for the overflow so it isn't needed for the portable pump configuration . I will use the air purge valve that's already on the bag from stock. I was simply heating up the glue on the Fat Sac valve fitting to remove it and get back to the stock threaded fitting, then planned to plug it off.
The original drain/fill fitting valve still has to be heated up to remove it, expose the threaded opening, then screw in the Tsunami pump quick connect fitting so the hose will mate up.

LAwake
05-07-2018, 02:32 PM
I had to cut out some of the old port mounting area to get the new into it - cleaned it up and added a minor slit. Add 5200 sealant around the perimeter as others have said. Tighten the nut down and let it completely cure.

Yes, the fitting size/style are different than my others but I don't move this bag around ever. It does come in and out just as easily as the others.

I did this in August of 2014 and it's still holding just fine.

That is quite impressive right there and sounds like it has held up well! That would work for me. I'd just have to fill the thru hull fitting opening full of 5200 to close it off. In my case, I'm not hard pluming mine into the on board ballast system. I'm reusing this stock bag on the floor or seat with a portable pump. I jacked the bag up trying to remove 2 stock fittings so I could expose the threaded openings. One was the overflow (broke one) and the other is the fill/drain (fitting still glued in). I was going to simply plug the overflow opening then re-install a Tsunami check valve fitting in the fill/drain opening so the pump and hose would mate up to the bag.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond and sent the info and pic. This gives me a good idea of what my options are. I can either do this and fill up the opening with 5200 or try to find a patch material and glue or 5200 it down. If I go the patch route, I'll probably do a patch on the inside and outside.

LAwake
05-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Thanks to everyone that has responded with ideas and info. I really do appreciate it. I'll let everyone know what I end up doing and how it turns out. I've got a few options now.

LAwake
05-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Bergermaister - looks professional. Well played.

Very well played and yes, very professional looking.

LAwake
05-08-2018, 02:03 PM
I got the last remaining fitting out from the fill/drain plug. Now on to repairing the hole and maybe I will have salvaged it.