PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Foil

New Guy
04-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Has anybody jumped on one yet? I am thinking of picking one up for the rough water days instead of surfing. At $400 it seems like a cheap way to try it out.

https://crazyfoil.com/

Shoebox
04-30-2018, 10:29 AM
Looks interesting, but no instructions for installing on a wakesurf board.

sandm
04-30-2018, 03:27 PM
why not just surf :p

New Guy
04-30-2018, 03:55 PM
^No Bindings.....:o

sandm
04-30-2018, 11:54 PM
wait... what????
you need bindings with a surfboard?

so i've been doing it all wrong......

KnoxMojo
05-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Surfing with a foil with no bindings is a really good way in get hurt. I have seen a few stories already of it happening. If I ever get into it, I will be using a wakeboard at surf speeds. What is a surfboard really doing for you attached to a foil? It isn't like you're going to be throwing 3s and shuvits.

Shoebox
05-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Surfing with a foil with no bindings is a really good way in get hurt. I have seen a few stories already of it happening. If I ever get into it, I will be using a wakeboard at surf speeds. What is a surfboard really doing for you attached to a foil? It isn't like you're going to be throwing 3s and shuvits.
https://youtu.be/VeWre1pGQVshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180501/83d013e4d64d1321740a3ff37a2a0916.jpg

trayson
05-01-2018, 11:17 AM

Well, it's nice to not having bindings when on the foil. Honestly I'd rather have my crashes just toss me off instead of still being attached to the board. I have one, and that's my preference thus far.

Shoebox
05-01-2018, 02:13 PM
I don't see how being strapped to it is less dangerous than just standing on the board with no bindings.

sandm
05-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Tray... you are absolutely correct...
part of the reason I don't wakeboard anymore are the all too common faceplants. granted it's at a faster speed than surfing but have yet to faceplant off a surfboard the same way you catch a frontside edge on a wakeboard.
I'll take bindingless all day long.

KnoxMojo
05-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Guys, I will try to find some photos and videos of people getting hurt by the foil hitting them, or rather them falling on the foil blade. If you are strapped in to the board, much as like an air chair, there would be 0 chance of the foil being able to hit you or you land on it. To each their own, but that would be my preference.

trayson
05-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Guys, I will try to find some photos and videos of people getting hurt by the foil hitting them, or rather them falling on the foil blade. If you are strapped in to the board, much as like an air chair, there would be 0 chance of the foil being able to hit you or you land on it. To each their own, but that would be my preference.

I totally understand where you're coming from. It's certainly a trade off of IMO more violent falls being strapped in vs. hitting or landing on the foil.

Kinda like I told my buddy, foiling is being strapped to a battle axe---kinda like your marriage!!! bahahahaha.

I do wear a helmet when I foil, that's for sure.

KnoxMojo
05-01-2018, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't think impact at surf speeds strapped in would be that bad. lol

Kinda like I told my buddy, foiling is being strapped to a battle axe---kinda like your marriage!!! bahahahaha. now that's funny!!!

One girl I saw it flipped up in the wave and she landed on her side on the foil, cut here up pretty good.

That Guy
05-01-2018, 07:55 PM
So people are using this behind an I/O....which I assume means also without ballast? So you can wake foil behind basically anything?

KnoxMojo
05-01-2018, 08:13 PM
So people are using this behind an I/O....which I assume means also without ballast? So you can wake foil behind basically anything?

The blade we are referring to is the foil blade, not a prop blade. If using an i/o, ride that thing at wakeboard lengths.

Shoebox
05-02-2018, 06:02 PM
So people are using this behind an I/O....which I assume means also without ballast? So you can wake foil behind basically anything?In their YouTube videos they're foiling behind a zodiac with a small outboard motor.

https://youtu.be/r7h_EWh3svE

Getssum96
05-07-2018, 04:00 PM
I've purchased one of these. Seems like a quality piece for the money, especially as the Slingshot unit is roughly 2198$ for the equivalent package. Looking forward to trying it soon.

I'll be mounting it to an older Hyperlite Roam wakeboard that broke when one of my dumbass friends tried to hold on too long and ripped out the inserts.

If you have questions, ask away. I'm active on the facebook group as well.

- Eric

trayson
05-07-2018, 04:34 PM
I've purchased one of these. Seems like a quality piece for the money, especially as the Slingshot unit is roughly 2198$ for the equivalent package. Looking forward to trying it soon.

I'll be mounting it to an older Hyperlite Roam wakeboard that broke when one of my dumbass friends tried to hold on too long and ripped out the inserts.

If you have questions, ask away. I'm active on the facebook group as well.

- Eric

I have the slingshot setup and where are you getting $2,198??? Retail price is $1600 and with the 10% off at wakemakers you could get it for $1,440 all day long. And that includes a board that doubles as a wakesurf board (it's nice to have that board to use as a boat board for bigger riders).

What am I missing that's costing an extra $600+??

5:00
05-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Correct. I have a Sky Ski and there is almost no resistance once you are up on the foil. The foil is a very thin wing that produces lift just like an airplane wing. There is very little friction at that point and very little of it is left in the water. You can easily hold the rope with one finger.

Not trying to argue anyone's point, you can get hurt either way, but here is my opinion. As far as being strapped in I think it is safer because that board could pop straight up and come down on you foil first. Keep in mind it is a heavy piece of aluminum with very thin edges. You can fall in front of it head first and the tower just keeps going straight. You have no idea where that board is going to go in a crash and no control over it. I have leaned back too fast and popped up higher than expected. When strapped the danger is the scorpion and the tower can hit you in the head, shoulders or arms but that is rare. Always wear a helmet strapped or not.