PDA

View Full Version : Machine washing canvas boat cover

Gabbyg88
04-29-2018, 09:47 AM
Has anyone washed your boat cover in a washing machine, if so how did it work? I tried washing by hand last year, did not work to well. I am thinking about trying a laundry mat washing machine but want to see if anyone did this already and if it worked. I know I will have to use mild soap or buy fabric cleaner. I already more waterproofing one it washed and dry. I just need to get year or 2 out of this cover.

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

parrothd
04-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Has anyone washed your boat cover in a washing machine, if so how did it work? I tried washing by hand last year, did not work to well. I am thinking about trying a laundry mat washing machine but want to see if anyone did this already and if it worked. I know I will have to use mild soap or buy fabric cleaner. I already more waterproofing one it washed and dry. I just need to get year or 2 out of this cover.

Thanks,
Mike

You need one of the really big rolling machines on delicate. Let it air dry.

Ed_Geary
04-30-2018, 09:24 AM
Which cover do you have for your 2007? Is it grey and kinda thin or is it black with the buckled strap and a sunbrella like material?

If you have the grey one do not put it in a washing machine. They are pretty flimsy.

DFTR Josh
04-30-2018, 10:08 AM
I've done it at the local laundry mat and didn't have a problem. I did let air dry after.

996scott
04-30-2018, 02:21 PM
if you do wash it I think you would want to spray some protectant on it after for weatherproofing.

Hoopskier
04-30-2018, 07:20 PM
I have washed mine a few times now. I have the older grey one, original to my 2003. I wash mine about once every 2 years, depending on the amount of dust that settles on it during winter storage. Not used in the summer. Boat is garage kept, and trailered to landing. I use regular detergent, and the biggest machine at the laundry mat. Its the only item I put in. I do partially dry in a dryer on MED. It get tangled up on itself pretty bad in the dryer, have to pause and pull open. Then lay out on clean floor to finish dry. No waterproofing left in it after all the years, but that is not a concern for me.

Gabbyg88
05-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Which cover do you have for your 2007? Is it grey and kinda thin or is it black with the buckled strap and a sunbrella like material?

If you have the grey one do not put it in a washing machine. They are pretty flimsy.The cover is from Ski Boat Covers, WeatherMAX material with the black buckled straps. The WeatherMAX material is actually pretty heavy material.

parrothd
05-01-2018, 04:53 PM
The cover is from Ski Boat Covers, WeatherMAX material with the black buckled straps. The WeatherMAX material is actually pretty heavy material.

The covers can be washed, but once they start to weather it'll fall apart pretty easily. Just depends the condition of the cover before washing it.

Gabbyg88
05-01-2018, 07:40 PM
It is washed! I was a little nervous, when I pulled the cover from the boat in the garage the stitches that hold the pad that holds the snap button for the support pole just broke off 3/4 the way around. I even called called Evaution to see cost and lead time for new cover, not surprised he said September. Cover is in good shape just have to find someone stitch the support pole pad back on. Cover is hanging in the basement with a fan on it for the last 1-1/2 hrs. and is almost dry. Next step waterproofing.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180501/34c6e3b7b7b9ba1148e5e0eccddc8089.jpg

kaneboats
05-02-2018, 11:01 AM
just have to find someone stitch the support pole pad back on.

Screw that. Just put an iron on patch over the whole thing.

zabooda
05-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Amazing, I've had a cover for my boat since 2003 and it still has many years left to it and it has been outside the whole time. I do put a cheap plastic boat cover over it the past two winters just to keep the UV off it.

parrothd
05-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Screw that. Just put an iron on patch over the whole thing.

Screw, screw that, lol. install a vented pole from Amazon, use can then use it on the next cover too.

Ed_Geary
05-02-2018, 01:29 PM
I found that the snap on the pole used to get screwed up occasionally. I quit replacing the snap and put a tennis ball on the pole.

rumbels
11-27-2018, 07:18 PM
If washing in a washing machine you want to wash it at a low temperature,, You don't want the cover shrinking..