PDA

View Full Version : Water Safety and Electricity

zabooda
04-27-2018, 05:32 PM
May is National Electrical Safety Month and I am putting together a presentation at work and I thought this would be applicable for those who frequent marinas or docks that have electrical equipment above 50 volts installed.

The 2017 national Electrical Code applies to new construction and major modifications so having signs and GFCIs are not required for older construction which applies to most marinas. It would be a good suggestion for you to mention to the owners of these marinas to upgrade to the GFCIs and add signs if they haven't done so. Our area lost one swimmer last year who was swimming in close proximity to an irrigation pump that had a fault.

http://files.esfi.org/file/Electric-Shock-Drowning-Unknown-Danger-Lurking-in-the-Water-BE01.pdf

ssevey17
04-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Last year the St Lawrence River (between NY and Canada) flooded for about 2 months and was up about 5' at one point. I go fishing up there ever year for a week and found this at one of the docks where we were staying. Luckily the breakers we shut off.