PDA

View Full Version : New Supra SL stereo pops when starting

shockthis
04-23-2018, 01:51 AM
Have a new supra SL when you start the boat the amps make this really loud pop sound. I thought the boat backfired at first. Any thoughts?

euro2012
04-23-2018, 12:00 PM
He's not kidding. I just picked my SL up as well, and it has the same problem. There is static coming from the speakers even with the volume down to zero, but when you start the engine there is a loud pop, scared the crap out of me when it first happened! Seems odd that it is in two different boats?

KnoxMojo
04-23-2018, 12:50 PM
I'm going to guess it's not your amps popping, but it is your speakers or sub. I'd start by making sure everything is grounded and tight at the battery and bus bars. I'd also check all the rca cables. Unplug them and plug them back in, both at the amps and the source unit. They may all look good and seated, but may have one slightly out. Good luck! I'm sure someone that knows a lot more than me may have a better explanation and solution.

euro2012
04-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Tried turning everything down to 0 in sound setup and it still did it. Hard to tell which is making the sound since it is so Loud!

russellsmojo
04-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Call or take to dealer. I would not even try to chase it down or fix it....$100k+ boat that’s under warranty. There may be a known issue that they can resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
04-23-2018, 03:32 PM
First things first, turn the gains all the way down on the amps and see if it still pops.
JL amps along with most others have a soft start feature so that’s not supposed to happen.

Broke Pilot
04-23-2018, 04:17 PM
http://caraudioadvice.com/how-to-fix-amp-speaker-turn-on-turn-off-pop/

Here’s a good quick troubleshoot on it.

euro2012
04-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Thanks Broke Pilot, that looks like a good read. Seems odd that you would have to add anything like what is mentioned to a brand new boat.

MLA
04-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Thanks Broke Pilot, that looks like a good read. Seems odd that you would have to add anything like what is mentioned to a brand new boat.

The article assumes that everything is wired correctly and there are no component conflicts. So jumping right to a timer module on a brand new boat, would be skipping the basic steps, which the article does not address.

Best advice, let the dealer and manufacturers resolve it. This can be a component issue or an assembly line issue. They may already know the resolution, if not, they are learn from it and implement it moving forward.

stevemarich
04-23-2018, 07:50 PM
My17 craz did that and what fixed it for me was changing the factory power to the head unit they had both keyed power and constant power tied together so I changed it to constant power to constant power and keyed power to keyed power and that got rid of the pop

euro2012
04-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Thanks MLA, do you think there is any value in adjusting gains? Dealer is a 7hr round trip journey.

MLA
04-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Thanks MLA, do you think there is any value in adjusting gains? Dealer is a 7hr round trip journey.

For this problem? No, thats unlikely where the issue lies.

Outside of the handful of boat builder using programmed DSP amps, I hardly ever come across an OEM installed amp that I like how its tuned. Most dont even seem as if they are tuned, but rather just installed and wired up. It makes sound so its good go! So, could the system benefit from inspecting the setting? Most likely.

russellsmojo
04-23-2018, 08:29 PM
Did the pop not happen at demo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
04-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Yea, I should have said just ignore the later steps. The first couple unhooking rca and or remote to troubleshoot is where I’d start. Then take it to the dealer. Lol

shockthis
04-25-2018, 10:17 AM
Does anyone no how do turn off the stereo? I would prefer to be able to turn it off if I am not using it.

monkey_butt
05-07-2018, 03:35 PM
if I say you can't - I could say I don't think you can - either way

the issue/cause of such is that when you turn off the engine - the command center asks you if you want to turn the boat entirely off, keep it on or keep just stereo on. The 2 latter choices means that power is still going to the head unit/amp/speakers hence it will pop right thru when you start the boat. So if you go with the fix to separate the power - then the question on the touch screen becomes mute?

adamantium
05-20-2018, 11:14 PM
Must be a manufacturing issue, my new SL does the exact same thing. It got better when I switched to a preset audio profile (ie, “normal”, “rock”, etc.), but i can tell theres still something wrong. Hope its a simple fix.

euro2012
05-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Simple fix is to run on battery 1+2. Mine does not pop when I do that. I realize this is against what it says in the manual.

MLA
05-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Simple fix is to run on battery 1+2. Mine does not pop when I do that. I realize this is against what it says in the manual.

IMO, this would be a band-aid, not a fix. It creates more questions then answers. two fully charged batteries would not be any higher voltage then 1 fully charged.

euro2012
05-21-2018, 07:53 PM
Agreed, so why does it work? Baffles me.

h2oaddiction
09-07-2021, 03:26 PM
Bump... any fixes out there for the pop at startup?