PDA

View Full Version : Good first board help

chawk610
04-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Ok guys... time to buy a first board. Would ideally like a universal board we can all use. Teens are 130, im a robust 200 lol. Suggestions please?? It obviously has to be green and black. Please help a noob!!!

Mojo2.5dusty
04-17-2018, 09:55 PM
It honestly depends on how you want to ride? I have a Doomswell and a hyperlite shim and everyone loves the shim it is a good all around board. I just like the surf style of a Doomswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
04-17-2018, 10:47 PM
Try to find a left-over 2017 model on the .Net. Go with a cheaper board around $250-350.

There are many off the shelf boards that are easy to learn on. When you buy your next board that starter board will be your go to new person board.

At 200# you need to have a good surf wake to ride a smaller board.
Sometimes a 200# board will be too big for 130# rider.

Hyperlite Broadcast
Hyperlite Shim
CWB Ride
CWB Tsunami
Liquid Force Fish

Find some friends with boards and try them out. It's a good method to ride different styles and find out what you like and dislike.
Once you catch the disease of surfing, more boards will come.

Some people will say to 'buy once and buy something more upper end". I disagree.

Mojo2.5dusty
04-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Yeah and see if your local boat dealer has a demo boards you can try out also.

Stazi
04-18-2018, 07:11 AM
5’3” Liquid Force Fish is what you want. Easy to learn on. Not too big, not too small. Mine is green and black too! But not sure if they still make the same color scheme.

kennc
04-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Check out the Liquid Force Rocket.

Great value for a beginner / boat board.

My wife was having issues with the doomswell neo (we were all new to surfing last season), we picked up the Rocket and all was well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
04-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Check out the Liquid Force Rocket.

Great value for a beginner / boat board.

My wife was having issues with the doomswell neo (we were all new to surfing last season), we picked up the Rocket and all was well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Liquid Force Rocket was my starter board too and is now our boat board.

Edo88
04-18-2018, 08:38 AM
I bought my board of evo.com they’ll have some really good deals on there. I got a liquid force sixer for 200 bucks and yesterday they had a cwb bad habit for 160.

chawk610
04-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Thanks yall!!! Gives me a starting point!

korey
04-18-2018, 11:48 AM
I LOVE my Hyperlite Shim as a relatively inexpensive all arounder. I feel like most will outgrow the "softer" boards like the Fish and Broadcast, even the rocket pretty quickly. I usually don't teach first timers on the Shim unless they have other board sports experience, but try to get them on it within a couple of sets. I've got a Slingshot something or another that really stable and no fun that I start people on. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have a broadcast and something faster than the shim as my dynamic duo. But then I wouldn't have the shim, and I love riding that board.... good thing the new boat has spots for 2 more boards 8-)8-)8-)

wolfeman131
04-26-2018, 12:51 PM
Would ideally like a universal board we can all use.

Hate to spend your $$, but this will end up frustrating someone and they won't enjoy surfing as much as they would if they had the proper-sized board. It's like trying to buy one set of shoes for everyone.

c h r i s
04-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Hate to spend your $$, but this will end up frustrating someone and they won't enjoy surfing as much as they would if they had the proper-sized board. It's like trying to buy one set of shoes for everyone.

^this. As one of the cheapest bastards on this forum, I can assure you that it will cost you more in the long run trying to find a one size fits all. Pay attn to the recommended weights for every board and respective length of board or your 200#s will be disappointed.

I’d recommend cruising this and all other boat forums for used deals and buy with confidence from anyone with a moderate posting history. Wouldn’t hurt to start a profile on them all too if you haven’t already and post a”WTB” in the classifieds.

Just keep your basis low and it Won’t sting as bad if a board doesn’t fit you, your preferred riding style, or level of riding proficiency and you want to trade back out of it.

Good luck!

chawk610
04-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Thanks yall. Got hyperlite that fits me, will shop for kiddos and wife