PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Airs

Poison
04-14-2018, 03:05 PM
This year, I want to learn to get some air behind the boat. I have an older hull so the wave might not be comparable to the newer stuff but I think with the right technique I can still get the board out of the water. This has been an area that I have consistently failed at. I either don't get the tail of the board off of the wake or I fall. I'm looking for tips on how you guys that have nailed it (or have kids that have mastered it) approach this trick. I've been all over YouTube and I've only found a couple of videos that talk about it and they weren't really that helpful (as opposed to wakeboard technique videos that are all over the place). There has to be more too it than pump to build speed and ride up the face. Is it more of an Ollie off the top of the wake? I know you should bring your knees up. Maybe I'm trying to hit it like a wakeboard. Either way, any tips for getting off that wave?

kaneboats
04-15-2018, 01:31 AM
OK. The only way to actually get better is to grab your checkbook and run out and get a new boat. Old boats will not work. You have to have the latest year model as a starting point. And, each year, you better upgrade to the newest model boat. Oh yea, don't forget that you have to get the newest model board and bindings as well. That is the only way to prO-gress to be a great rider.

One more thing. Nevermind watching videos like "the book" or going to a riders' school. They will only teach you old techniques that will hold you back. That kind of foundation just gets in the way of the big air you are after.

Poison
04-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Thanks, that is helpful and constructive.

muehlcj
04-15-2018, 08:17 PM
This year, I want to learn to get some air behind the boat. I have an older hull so the wave might not be comparable to the newer stuff but I think with the right technique I can still get the board out of the water. This has been an area that I have consistently failed at. I either don't get the tail of the board off of the wake or I fall. I'm looking for tips on how you guys that have nailed it (or have kids that have mastered it) approach this trick. I've been all over YouTube and I've only found a couple of videos that talk about it and they weren't really that helpful (as opposed to wakeboard technique videos that are all over the place). There has to be more too it than pump to build speed and ride up the face. Is it more of an Ollie off the top of the wake? I know you should bring your knees up. Maybe I'm trying to hit it like a wakeboard. Either way, any tips for getting off that wave?

It's most similar to a skateboard Ollie except you don't really need to slide your front foot up the board (but if you can/do great). Search for videos on that then practice that technique in the flats until you can get 6"-12" of air in just the flats. Then go slow. Don't worry about flying at the lip at mach 10 just ride up the face and do that same ollie off the lip. Keep practicing that technique. Getting knees and board higher each time. Once you have that down add speed to your approach.

muehlcj
04-15-2018, 08:18 PM
It's most similar to a skateboard Ollie except you don't really need to slide your front foot up the board (but if you can/do great). Search for videos on that then practice that technique in the flats until you can get 6"-12" of air in just the flats. Then go slow. Don't worry about flying at the lip at mach 10 just ride up the face and do that same ollie off the lip. Keep practicing that technique. Getting knees and board higher each time. Once you have that down add speed to your approach.

It's more about timing then sheer athletic ability. Don't force it just work on your technique and timing.

5:00
04-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Same boat and setup as mine and I am able to clear the wake with a 60' rope. Others can do a lot better. That is with a few people in the boat and no ballast. Fill up some of that ballast, even out the wake on both sides and you will have a nice wake to jump.
As far as videos, Kanes helpful comments above include The Book video series. It is old but the basics never change. Take a look at that over and over and practice.

Ed_Geary
04-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Bindings and a 60' rope? Man, wakesurfing sure has changed

KnoxMojo
04-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Ed, thats what I was thinking. He's talking about catching air on a wake SURF board. Kaneboats fell right off the deep end with this post. Not very helpful or becoming of a super moderator. At the time of his response, maybe there was some liquid courage involved. Lol.

Hey guys! He posted his question in the "wakesurfing" section.

Poison, very few people are worth a dang on a surf board. The extent of their riding is drinking a beer, wear sunglasses and a hat, and have people take new profile pictures of them. This statement goes for most, not all.

KnoxMojo
04-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Poison, to try to help. You have to build speed from the back of the wave, ride up the face, ollie pop and get the board turned back towards the boat past center and land on the down of the wave. Your board also makes a difference. Yeah, pros can do it on anything, but for most of us, we need a faster surf style board. Taking a lesson is never a bad idea either. It's the fastest way to progress.

The General
04-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Poison, to try to help. You have to build speed from the back of the wave, ride up the face, ollie pop and get the board turned back towards the boat past center and land on the down of the wave. Your board also makes a difference. Yeah, pros can do it on anything, but for most of us, we need a faster surf style board. Taking a lesson is never a bad idea either. It's the fastest way to progress.

This was helpful. Now if the lake would just thaw already :-)
Total newb asking here but why is the surf style board better for this than say a skim style?

parrothd
04-16-2018, 03:17 PM
This was helpful. Now if the lake would just thaw already :-)
Total newb asking here but why is the surf style board better for this than say a skim style?

Watch some videos on wakeboarding Ollie's or wake skate, the motion is the same you actually push hard down with your rear foot and the board will pop and push you up. It's more a timing thing, get a gopro or camera and record all your sets then review. That's the fastest way to improve.

5:00
04-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Well never mind then! :) Reading is fundamental eh?

KnoxMojo
04-16-2018, 04:58 PM
General, most surf style boards have a higher volume than s skim board. The fin setup is also key. Skim boards generally have 1 smaller fin, whereas a surf style will have multiple fins.

Also think of the ollie as you're actually pressing the board down into the water then releasing that energy.

Maybe the board builder guys will chime in soon.

jmvotto
04-16-2018, 10:12 PM
General, most surf style boards have a higher volume than s skim board. The fin setup is also key. Skim boards generally have 1 smaller fin, whereas a surf style will have multiple fins.

Also think of the ollie as you're actually pressing the board down into the water then releasing that energy.

Maybe the board builder guys will chime in soon.
He already did. Skateboard Ollie reference from Parkersurfcraft

KnoxMojo
04-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Some people have heard of an ollie, but I was trying to give a visual image of it.

I was also referring to why surf style boards are better for catching air when I brought up the board builders. And I knew Chris replied already. Thought he might be able to explain it a lot better than me.

Poison
04-16-2018, 11:22 PM
This thread...lol. Thanks for all the tips guys. Sounds like my first to-do is practice some ollies. I had a feeling I was approaching wrong (I kind of hit it like a wakeboard jump) and this will help me get going in the right direction.

I'm pretty decent on a wakeboard, if there was a wake surf equivalent to The Book and Detention 2012 I would already be on top of that. Back around 2010 those videos were always in my dvd player. Of course if I hadn't spent so much time on heelside and toeside backrolls on the wakeboard my knees might not be so bad that I have to surf in my late 30's. 5:00 thanks for the help man, I definitely have my heelside and toeside wake to wake down on my other board :rolleyes:;)

Poison
04-16-2018, 11:28 PM
For those following along, here are the videos that I found last year. There are a few nuggets in there but overall I didn't find them all that helpful. There is a wealth of knowledge out there on wakeboard tricks but not so much with surfing I've found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v6vpyH6Zbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC8BpoSwiLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP0_WB3LMlc

muehlcj
04-17-2018, 08:50 PM
This thread...lol. Thanks for all the tips guys. Sounds like my first to-do is practice some ollies. I had a feeling I was approaching wrong (I kind of hit it like a wakeboard jump) and this will help me get going in the right direction.

I'm pretty decent on a wakeboard, if there was a wake surf equivalent to The Book and Detention 2012 I would already be on top of that. Back around 2010 those videos were always in my dvd player. Of course if I hadn't spent so much time on heelside and toeside backrolls on the wakeboard my knees might not be so bad that I have to surf in my late 30's. 5:00 thanks for the help man, I definitely have my heelside and toeside wake to wake down on my other board :rolleyes:;)

So it's a lot like the ollie you do on a wakeboard in the flats or when you ollie of the lip out of the wake. Weight transfer to back foot, load up the tail, bring front knee up, spring off back foot, bring back foot up and use front to level board out. Practice the motion in the flats 100 times first. Until you get the timing right and you are getting 6" to 12' of air in the flats. Then try the same off the lip. Don't worry about flying down the line and blasting off the lip right away. It's all timing.

Chaos
04-18-2018, 01:21 PM
So there are two types of surf style boards out there, those that ride on top of the wake and those that ride in the wake. Skim boards ride in the wake and this will overlap some with hybrid style boards. Boards that ride on top of the wake have an advantage for launching above the lip maneuvers. They do not carry as much water with them and do not feel as stuck to the wake. Lifting your knees is really just about getting the board higher up off the wake, but if you do not have the technique down it will not help much. Two things that newbies tend to do. First they drop all the way to the bottom of the wake and think they have to make a hard cut up the wake to launch. All this does is loose all your speed/momentum. You can do this in the ocean, but ocean wave have real power. Second, once they learn to get a little boost they tend to land all stiff legged and upright which is a good way to be buck off a board and or break a board. To practice aerial maneuvers, learn to pump up and down the wake down the line building speed, but pump only from just below the lip to half way down the wake, do not drop all the way into the flats. This is you energy pocket, and you will gain crazy speed which will allow you to just lightly pop off the lip on your second or third pump.

Nick

costanza
04-18-2018, 08:45 PM
First they drop all the way to the bottom of the wake and think they have to make a hard cut up the wake to launch. All this does is loose all your speed/momentum.
Nick

This is good insight... That's exactly what I do - now I know part of what I'm not doing right, and that explains why I can't figure out getting air so far, well that and about 50 extra pounds I carry... The solution to my weight problem is that I just need a bigger boat though right??!! hehehe...

Hackmeister
04-26-2018, 10:13 AM
So if I wanted to go to a surf school, any recommendations? I see a lot of schools advertised, but I suspect their wakesurfing knowledge and ability to teach vary widely.

Also, who is going to create the "wakesurfing book". I'd buy it--I can't even get a 360 down (well the 360 is fine, catching the wave after is the hard part).

parrothd
04-26-2018, 10:31 AM
So if I wanted to go to a surf school, any recommendations? I see a lot of schools advertised, but I suspect their wakesurfing knowledge and ability to teach vary widely.

Also, who is going to create the "wakesurfing book". I'd buy it--I can't even get a 360 down (well the 360 is fine, catching the wave after is the hard part).

It all depends on the teacher, there's lots of schools but seems like more are for beginners. I spent 3 days with wakesurfNC by Jay baker and his crew. They were training for the wakesurf world's competition. It was an awesome experience, I learned so much you watching them, picked up lots of stuff that should've been basic. As well as riding revert, revert 360s and other spins.

It was a great time, little hard to get to, but well worth it. You can also watch the streams from the wakesurf competitions, those are the best for learning new stuff. You can even watch Jay.. Lol

wolfeman131
04-26-2018, 12:15 PM

There are a few "schools" but not like the wakeboarding schools. Let me know where you are at and I can help find a local pro and/or where there may be a competition close to you. Some pros will come in early/stay late at a comp to give lessons.

Hackmeister
04-28-2018, 09:42 AM
Indiana, but I have a vehicle so will travel.

mikepo26
05-02-2018, 10:00 PM
i hope the sarcasm is very thick on this response

tarheelskier
05-02-2018, 10:38 PM
It all depends on the teacher, there's lots of schools but seems like more are for beginners. I spent 3 days with wakesurfNC by Jay baker and his crew. They were training for the wakesurf world's competition. It was an awesome experience, I learned so much you watching them, picked up lots of stuff that should've been basic. As well as riding revert, revert 360s and other spins.

It was a great time, little hard to get to, but well worth it. You can also watch the streams from the wakesurf competitions, those are the best for learning new stuff. You can even watch Jay.. Lol

Parrothd, where are you located? We live in Raleigh and spend a lot of time on Lake Gaston each summer. Have seen Jay and his boats around quite a bit, but never taken a lesson. May need to look him up this summer.

parrothd
05-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Parrothd, where are you located? We live in Raleigh and spend a lot of time on Lake Gaston each summer. Have seen Jay and his boats around quite a bit, but never taken a lesson. May need to look him up this summer.

I'm in Chicago, he's a great guy, really good coach. I plan to do another weekend with him, just getting there is $$$. If take a lesson with him, ask if you can join with other clients. Gives you a lot more time to rest and watch other surfers.