PDA

View Full Version : Trailering With Bimini Top

ssevey17
04-11-2018, 10:20 PM
I just bought. Mobius V that came with a Bimini top. It doesn't really fit inside of the boat. I'm thinking about trailering the boat with the Bimini top installed. It has a cover over it and I would leave it covered while traveling. I have to go on the highway to get to the lake (65mph). Anyone see any issues with this? Sill it put too much stress on the top? I'm sorry if this is a dumbass question...

sivs1
04-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Post some pictures, you mention a cover so have to assume the bimini folds somehow? On my LSV I had a bimini that rolled up, support arms folded in half and covered. I traveled 300 miles like that with zero issues. My SA has the Z5 Cargo Bimini and it does not fold or roll up. I go short distances with it in place, no issues even at highway speeds.

bergermaister
04-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Roll up the bimini and you'll probably be fine. Leave it out and you'll end up with a ragged mess. The guy who made mine guaranteed it to the top speed of the boat so maybe 40-ish mph. I have a zipper cover when rolled up and it is also strapped to the tower and holds up to 80mph no problem. :cool:

My buddy has a rigid frame (thick) bimini on his Malibu with not snaps - all sewn - and leaves it up all the time. It still works an looks ok but has stretched a bit and tends to flap in the wind now.

kaneboats
04-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Yea, if its folded up and the zipper cover is on you should be able to strap it to the tower. The zipper bag should have the straps built into it. I lock it in the "up" position and wrap the straps twice around the tower and it doesn't move a bit. Run close to 80 all the time.

This pic shows it in stowed position:

5:00
04-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Our's had the zippered cover and strapped to the tower like Kane mentioned. Brought it up from South Carolina to Virginia that way with no issues.

ssevey17
04-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Thanks for all the info. I don't have any straps on the zipper cover to hold it to the tower. So I'll have to rig something up. Here are some pictures of my bimini set up.2688326884

5:00
04-13-2018, 10:55 AM
I would think it would be fine as is. It has support in the back. Mine doesn't have that so it has to strap to the top of the cage.

Edo88
04-15-2018, 02:20 PM
My old boat had the same style Bimini top. It didn’t have the zip cover so I would disconnect the rear braces and let it lay on the boat and wrap the fabric with a rope so it didn’t flop in the wind . You’ll be fine in that position with the cover installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

996scott
04-15-2018, 09:31 PM
those biminis with thin tubing attached to the windshield will bounce around a lot when on the road. I have passed many on the way up and down the canyons and i would not travel like that. You could sew a couple of straps to the bimini cover that then help support it over the tower which i think would help a lot. Just a thought.