PDA

View Full Version : Phase 5 or Doomswell Nubstep

IronmanCowboy
04-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Trying to decide, Phase 5 Hammerhead or DW Nubstep. I am 6’ 220. Only my second year and ready to excel. Just looking for feedback on your experience between the two.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
04-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Trying to decide, Phase 5 Hammerhead or DW Nubstep. I am 6’ 220. Only my second year and ready to excel. Just looking for feedback on your experience between the two.

Thanks

Man, I have to say neither. But not probably the feedback you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronmanCowboy
04-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Man, I have to say neither. But not probably the feedback you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's why it's called feedback...haha... I wanna surf style but am thinking hybrid and I want a fast board. What's your feedback?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
04-01-2018, 07:04 PM
That's why it's called feedback...haha... I wanna surf style but am thinking hybrid and I want a fast board. What's your feedback?

Hybrid is kind of a misused/overused term I think—most surf style retain some hybrid features. In other words, different folks call them different things. I would not get too hung up on that. Either you want full tilt skim, or a surfy hybrid kinda thingie which 85% of the rest are.

For the money, no better board than a custom Sixer from Chaos. Hand shaped, glassed. Surfy-Hybridy mix, mostly surf. Also custom RacerX from the same guy—sharper rails. I have both.

Slightly more money, but Soulcraft DaHonu, blunt nose DaHonu, or Voodoo are fast as heck, have a hybrid flavor, light as a feather. I have the VooDoo. Surf buddies have one each of the two DaHonus.

All of these are very fast, forgiving, and will take you as far as you want to go. Excellent boards.

The two you’ve named are very popular and for sure fun. But better can be had, I guess? Probably not going to be the limiting factor in how good you get, but heck, do it right the first time?

Opinion opinion opinion. Remember that. But I have owned 25 boards in 4 years in approximate terms. And having what I have above listed leaves me wanting nothing more.

Best of luck!

dakota4ce
04-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Duplicate...

IronmanCowboy
04-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Hybrid is kind of a misused/overused term I think—most surf style retain some hybrid features. In other words, different folks call them different things. I would not get too hung up on that. Either you want full tilt skim, or a surfy hybrid kinda thingie which 85% of the rest are.

For the money, no better board than a custom Sixer from Chaos. Hand shaped, glassed. Surfy-Hybridy mix, mostly surf. Also custom RacerX from the same guy—sharper rails. I have both.

Slightly more money, but Soulcraft DaHonu, blunt nose DaHonu, or Voodoo are fast as heck, have a hybrid flavor, light as a feather. I have the VooDoo. Surf buddies have one each of the two DaHonus.

All of these are very fast, forgiving, and will take you as far as you want to go. Excellent boards.

The two you’ve named are very popular and for sure fun. But better can be had, I guess? Probably not going to be the limiting factor in how good you get, but heck, do it right the first time?

Opinion opinion opinion. Remember that. But I have owned 25 boards in 4 years in approximate terms. And having what I have above listed leaves me wanting nothing more.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback. Great opinion! I will definitely check out those recommend boards.[emoji1360]

twkoehn
04-01-2018, 08:35 PM
I had also narrowed down my choices to the Nubstep or Hammerhead. With other options having already been mentioned and most likely others still to come, I may have to reevaluate. I will definitely be following this thread and look forward to seeing what people have to say.

jmvotto
04-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Get a custom soul craft or Parker surfcraft as well as chaos

Each one will design your needs into the board

FYI Parkersurfcraft is a moomba owner and forum member
My personal favorite is the PS

IronmanCowboy
04-02-2018, 12:32 AM
Get a custom soul craft or Parker surfcraft as well as chaos

Each one will design your needs into the board

FYI Parkersurfcraft is a moomba owner and forum member
My personal favorite is the PSWhich soulcraft is comparable to the nubstep?

Broke Pilot
04-02-2018, 12:50 AM
I just picked up a 56” doomswell carbon skim hybrid. Anxious to try it. I was gonna go with a hammerhead, but wanted to buy local on top of everything. As much as I wanna learn to ride backward, I figure the spin part is more important first!
I have a surf style, just need something faster and loose.
I personally think hybrid boards are cool. I know I’m never gonna be a master of anything back there anymore and I’m not made of $$ to have $1400 of boards floating around the boat.
I doubt you’ll regret either board. Or any of the Soulcraft, never heard anyone say anything negative.

IronmanCowboy
04-02-2018, 12:57 AM
I just picked up a 56” doomswell carbon skim hybrid. Anxious to try it. I was gonna go with a hammerhead, but wanted to buy local on top of everything. As much as I wanna learn to ride backward, I figure the spin part is more important first!
I have a surf style, just need something faster and loose.
I personally think hybrid boards are cool. I know I’m never gonna be a master of anything back there anymore and I’m not made of $$ to have $1400 of boards floating around the boat.
I doubt you’ll regret either board. Or any of the Soulcraft, never heard anyone say anything negative.Thanks! Tough decision...

dakota4ce
04-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Which soulcraft is comparable to the nubstep?

Maybe a Honu? But in my mind comparable would not be the right word. Similar in style, but better.

jmvotto
04-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Maybe a Honu? But in my mind comparable would not be the right word. Similar in style, but better.

SC SOS , you want surf style look at Neo from Doomswell

KnoxMojo
04-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Doomswell boards are great. I have never been disappointed riding one. I have the older Drone and love it. My buddies Nubstep is a lot of fun, the Neo is very similar as well another friend picked up last year.

dakota4ce
04-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Doomswell boards are great. I have never been disappointed riding one. I have the older Drone and love it. My buddies Nubstep is a lot of fun, the Neo is very similar as well another friend picked up last year.

I have owned and sold 2 Doomswells. My surf buddy rode one hard for 5-6 weeks, then shelved it.

In my case, a Chaos RacerX was the trump card. In my buddy’s case, a Soulcraft Blunt Honu was the culprit.

The Doomswells were great! BUT....not as fast as the small shop shaper made sticks. Since we can only ride one at a time, the Doomswells were benched.

Mine were Neo and Sparkplug (which I bought as a boat board). My buddy’s was a Neo.

Not trying to be biased, just telling you how it went. [emoji1364]

KnoxMojo
04-02-2018, 11:15 PM
Wish I could ride them all, lol..but believe it or not, these wake boats throw out tremendous wakeboard wakes! So I don't invest a lot into surfing. I have a few boat boards, one for the wife to learn on and my Drone. Think I'll call it good for a while. For what its worth, another buddy has been riding a Walker Project board and loves it. Have heard nothing but great things from all of these custom type companies.

KnoxMojo
04-02-2018, 11:17 PM
Since we can only ride one at a time, the Doomswells were benched

Go ahead and send those to me since they aren't being used, lol.

dakota4ce
04-03-2018, 01:53 AM
Go ahead and send those to me since they aren't being used, lol.

We sold ‘em! For good deals too. It was just a shame to have them parked IMHO.

Prospersigman
04-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Haven't priced the Doomswell or Phase 5 recently, but bought a Soulcraft Voodoo 4'6" with upgraded fins and traction pad at the boat show for $750 out the door.

I've surfed my buddies Nubstep, I have an Inland Surfer 4-Skim and Hyperlite Broadcast...there is no comparison between any of the previous boards and my Soulcraft.

dakota4ce
04-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Haven't priced the Doomswell or Phase 5 recently, but bought a Soulcraft Voodoo 4'6" with upgraded fins and traction pad at the boat show for $750 out the door.

I've surfed my buddies Nubstep, I have an Inland Surfer 4-Skim and Hyperlite Broadcast...there is no comparison between any of the previous boards and my Soulcraft.

Tax trailer and license included!

jmvotto
04-03-2018, 10:51 AM
I have owned and sold 2 Doomswells. My surf buddy rode one hard for 5-6 weeks, then shelved it.

In my case, a Chaos RacerX was the trump card. In my buddy’s case, a Soulcraft Blunt Honu was the culprit.

The Doomswells were great! BUT....not as fast as the small shop shaper made sticks. Since we can only ride one at a time, the Doomswells were benched.

Mine were Neo and Sparkplug (which I bought as a boat board). My buddy’s was a Neo.

This, but I still own my custom Texas Made Doomswell , but prefer my Parker Surf now faster a and more agile

muehlcj
04-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Which soulcraft is comparable to the nubstep?

Reach out to Nick at Chaos or Jeff at SC. Both are great choices and no one will know more about the boards then the guys building them.

KnoxMojo
04-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Chris ar Parker Surfcraft is very knowledgeable as well. And he's a Skiers Choice guy! Even better.

trayson
04-09-2018, 02:51 PM

I rode a SC da honu head to head with my Doomswell Nubstep. Same fins, same wave. I liked my nubstep better, but they were actually damn close. For the extra price of a SC, I wouldn't spend the extra on it. they basically rode almost the same, but like I said, I preferred my Nubstep.

And then once I added new fins to the mix, it was a game changer. I was riding the F2's and now swap back and forth between the John John Grom fins and the Blackstix F4's. Right now the Blackstix are on my wife's Sparkplug and I have the John John Grom's on my Nubstep. (the JJG feel a little looser, and the BS seem to have a bit more drive and not quite as loose).

I don't regret my Doomswell at all. Are there other boards that are equal or better? Probably. But ever since getting my Nubstep, I've been less interested in finding my next board and more interested in enjoying the one I love. Now if someone threw a PSC at me, I'd be happy to enjoy the hell out of it.

Never ridden a P5 other than my kid's Scamp! LOLOLOL

dakota4ce
04-09-2018, 03:14 PM
I rode a SC da honu head to head with my Doomswell Nubstep. Same fins, same wave. I liked my nubstep better, but they were actually damn close. For the extra price of a SC, I wouldn't spend the extra on it. they basically rode almost the same, but like I said, I preferred my Nubstep.

And then once I added new fins to the mix, it was a game changer. I was riding the F2's and now swap back and forth between the John John Grom fins and the Blackstix F4's. Right now the Blackstix are on my wife's Sparkplug and I have the John John Grom's on my Nubstep. (the JJG feel a little looser, and the BS seem to have a bit more drive and not quite as loose).

I don't regret my Doomswell at all. Are there other boards that are equal or better? Probably. But ever since getting my Nubstep, I've been less interested in finding my next board and more interested in enjoying the one I love. Now if someone threw a PSC at me, I'd be happy to enjoy the hell out of it.

Never ridden a P5 other than my kid's Scamp! LOLOLOL

I would respectfully submit that you haven’t ridden a great fin yet. Try a set of medium or large flare fins from Chaos Surf Co. I have some F4 Blackstix that live in their pouch.

Furthermore, your head to head is understandable. I am sure there are meaningful differences in geometry that translate to your feet on your wave. On mine (ours), it wasn’t very close. They were Neos also, not the Nubstep. The Doomswells were markedly heavier than the others (they were candy coat painted boards). So there are variables that probably don’t translate between respective trials

Chaos to Doomswell cost difference is negligible. Boat show Soulcraft to Doomswell difference is also close. Retail Soulcraft is expensive. No question!

There are tons of folks that love their Doomswells. Can’t argue that. I get a charge out of the guys that hand shape and make boards light as a feather. It’s an intriguing craft to me.

Try Nick’s fins. They’re sick! Also, to support your statement about fins changing the game—it’s so true. What I have discovered most recently is that a quad setup with nubsters in back gives even more drive. It’s actually faster, even though a twin setup “feels” faster. If that makes any sense?

Man surfing is fun.

Poison
04-10-2018, 08:41 AM
I would respectfully submit that you haven’t ridden a great fin yet. Try a set of medium or large flare fins from Chaos Surf Co. I have some F4 Blackstix that live in their pouch.

Try Nick’s fins. They’re sick! Also, to support your statement about fins changing the game—it’s so true. What I have discovered most recently is that a quad setup with nubsters in back gives even more drive. It’s actually faster, even though a twin setup “feels” faster. If that makes any sense?

Man surfing is fun.

Is it safe to assume that the Chaos fins fit the same box that the futures do? They are interchangeable right? They appear to be when I look at the website.

dakota4ce
04-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Is it safe to assume that the Chaos fins fit the same box that the futures do? They are interchangeable right? They appear to be when I look at the website.

They are indeed Futures boxes. I have only seen Futures usage from Nick-

IronmanCowboy
04-22-2018, 12:14 AM

Never ridden a P5 other than my kid's Scamp! LOLOLOLThanks for the feed back. I ended up going with the 2018 nubstep. I took advantage of the Moomba Wakemakers discount code. Saved $140.00.
As far as the Nubstep, I am not disappointed. There will always be another board to buy...lol

dakota4ce
04-22-2018, 03:12 AM
I thought that code was 10%?!

What is this magical discount you’re speaking of?!

IronmanCowboy
04-22-2018, 09:52 AM
I thought that code was 10%?!

What is this magical discount you’re speaking of?!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI also bought a board for my son.