PDA

View Full Version : Repitch prop?

iaonbb
09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey all...dropped the boat off for 20 hr service, winterization, warranty work, etc yesterday. Dealer and I got to talking about my 'perceived' lack of holeshot and top-end speed issues. He flat out said that here in CO, for every 5,000' above sea level you go it equates to a 25% loss of HP....carb and fuel injection, no difference. Sound about right? He then went on to suggest I have my original OJ 13x13 4 blade repitched to 13x12 or 13x11.5 to get a better holeshot here at altitude. Yes I have read all of the archived posts on props and remain confused. He estimates my RPM's at WOT would jump by approx 200. Currently I can only manage 38mph at 4,800 rpm's WOT ('04 Mobius LS). He figured I'd get a better hole shot, lose1-2 mph top-end, and be around 5,000rpm at WOT if I repitched...Has anyone ever had their prop repitched and does this sound like a good idea? 5,000rpm's should still be within the recommended range by Indmar, right? Love living in CO but it sure makes things difficult sometimes. You guys at sea level, enjoy it. I can't imagine what it would be like on this boat with 25% more HP...Any/all input appreciated!

*Just spoke wiht Eric at OJ...he confirmed that he could tweak it a little for better holeshot. Wondering if I'd really see that much of a difference or is that just wasted $$$...whaddya' guys think?

aintskeered
10-02-2006, 12:58 PM
ianobb, I cant really talk the exact pitch of prop to do, However you are right on the 25% HP loss for altitude, temperature throws things a bit also, All the guys I have boated with for the last 20 sum years have two diffrent props for there boats, the one here in colorado has a smaller pitch for the altitude/loss of HP, the spare is a higher pitch prop they use for trips to Powell, and the altitude prop pecomes the spare for Powell. The out boards they are running 200hp they go from a 16-17 here in colorado to a 21 in Utah, You might look at just buying a diffrent "spare" depending on where you are running the boat.

I went for the test drive with Bill from Rocky Mountain on wensday, Working on some numbers and negoations on an 07 now

iaonbb
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Nice! Did you see the black LS in the parking lot? That's mine...dropped it off Tue afternoon after a couple hours on Pueblo Res (nice lake btw) They have been great to me so far...especially considering I didn't end up buying the boat from them! I'll let you know how she looks Fri when I get it back, and more importatnly, if they held me over a barrell on price or not...warranty stuff, etc. So far they get an A+. Wish I could've bought the V from them but saved $14k and couldn't pass it up. Let me know what you end up getting..

109 views and not a single reply regarding repitching...oh well

qb12
10-04-2006, 02:06 PM
iaonbb, i don't know much about how altitude effects the prop, BUT, I have spoke with Eric at Oj a few times and trust me he knows his stuff.

I would take his advice. I know I did when it came to the new wake prop and it made a huge difference.

db

aintskeered
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
iaonbb, I was kind of on a fly through demo ride, I did see lots of sweet boats. Where were you at on the price before you jumped the there way? We are working on a 07'lsv around 45,000 out the door

iaonbb
10-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I was at $41k for an Outback V loaded...and I mean LOADED...with boat show discounts, etc he wrote me up an actual quote whcih broke out each option, price, discounts, tax, etc and faxed it to me acouple months back... That's probably about right for your boat depending on options of course...

Isn't the Outback V and LSV the same hull or was that a few years ago? Just curious, why the LSV and not the Outback V? Length, weight? Might be able to save a coule grand on the Outback? Just thinking out loud...I could fax you the quote if you like?

iaonbb
10-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks qb12...I'll be mailing him my prop next week...won't be able to test until next year though :( Dang I need to move to a wamer place! Wait, what am I saying?!? Mile High 4ever!!!

aintskeered
10-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Do you still got my e-mail? I would like to make sure every thing is on the up and up. I belive Bill is shooting straight and really working with me on every thing. But it never hurts to check it out. One Q were you upgrading to the 325 hp version? Thats about 1500$ right there. On the out back and the lsv/mobius if you do the tower the wake plate and the ballest upgrades to a outback you have a mobius, But on the mobius they knock like 200$ off for the add ons and already add in thoses options.

iaonbb
10-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Not sure...PM your email again or shoot me a fax and I can send it to you....yes, It was the 325 which is standard in '07 and jumps the base price by approx $1500 anyway...I added all of those options to the Outback (which essentially makes it a Mobius) and I was still at around $41k?