PDA

View Full Version : Cap & Rotor

Rugburn
09-26-2006, 02:42 PM
With my ongoing rough idle problem Im having, Ive changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, and now the cap and rotor. My boat is a 2002 so I can only assume this is the original distributor cap. After changing it out, Ive noticed increased power and less drain on my batteries. The volt meter hovers around 14v instead of just over 12v. I would suggest to anybody out there that hasnt changed their distributor cap and rotor in a year or two to change them out.

http://www.rugburn.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b323701bc42d

One other thing, I bought replacement plug wires from a marine supplier and they dont look like the original wires. The wires in the boat now are red, much thicker than the replacements I have, and have INDMAR on them. My replacements are black, thinner and blank. Im reluctant to swap out the wires because the new ones dont look as good a quality. Does thickness of wire equal quality of wire?

NH Moomba
09-26-2006, 05:39 PM
I would recomend staying with the OEM wires. Besides the fact that the red Indmar wires look cool, cheapo wires with thinner insulation could crack and arc in the hot and wet conditions under the motor box. You don't want to have arcing inside the box with all those gas fumes.

My 2 cents - Andy

Rugburn
09-26-2006, 06:00 PM
The funny thing is, when I ordered the parts I gave them my engine information thinking that I would get a direct replacement and that is what they gave me. Next question, how does a guy get those cool red Indmar wires if my supplier doesnt have them?

Brian Raymond
09-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Specify to your dealer that you want OEM replacement wires (they can drop ship). You can also contact Indmar @ 901.353.9930 and ask for JT in parts. Be sure to have engine info. readily available. and they will be more than happy to assist you. I strongly recommend staying with OEM marine replacement parts. Brian Raymond

BensonWdby
09-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Is it reasonable to expect to have to change plug wires after 4 seasons? Is it calendar years or engin hours that are more likely to cause plug wires to go bad? Or is it heat or exposure to moisture?

I would think if you open the motor cover and run the engine at night to inspect for arcing - if you see none I would think they should be OK??

Not a mechanic so just wondering?
Dave

smokedog2
09-27-2006, 07:45 AM
I don't think it is the wires. They can go bad/ break burn out but really it is the connections. I have, when I could not aford FI, cleaned the caps & connections and gone on my way. You are way down the economic food chain when you are taking sandpaper to caps - but it works.

smokedog2
09-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Oh, you can test each wire for continuity and replace only the bad one - if any

smokedog2
09-27-2006, 07:48 AM
It occurs to me that this information is more than 30 years old on a car that was 15 year old at the time and maybe I should shutup.

Engine Nut
09-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Specify to your dealer that you want OEM replacement wires (they can drop ship). You can also contact Indmar @ 901.353.9930 and ask for JT in parts. Be sure to have engine info. readily available. and they will be more than happy to assist you. I strongly recommend staying with OEM marine replacement parts. Brian Raymond

Indmar's part number for a red wire set is S756002. The OEM wires are very high qualiy with silicone boots to prevent arcing ... and explosions. You can find a dealer that can get you the parts using our dealer locator.

http://www.indmar.com/support/dealer_locator.cfm

Engine Nut

BensonWdby
09-27-2006, 10:27 PM
So how do you know when plug wires need to be replaced??