PDA

View Full Version : Key differences in Mojo 2015 to 2018

JamesG
03-20-2018, 09:11 PM
New member, first post, lots of great info here. Need some of you to help clarify some things if you wouldnt mind. I am in the market for a Mojo, the boat fits all my needs from a power and size standpoint, there are several on the river I live on and have always appreciated the look. I know that in 2015 there was a redesign that brought with it some benefits, the autowake being one of them, it also appears that each year up until current they have made some fairly nice advancements as well. I am having trouble finding what each of these models actually offer in the way of technology that the previous model did not have, specifically in terms of the hull and wave making ability and ease of use. My budget would be better served at the 2015 model as this is our first wake surf type boat, but i am a bit conservative and can easily afford the 2018 if there is enough justification. I am coming from a tritoon with fourstroke outboard, we live on the river and boat will be stored on our lift in boat house, so we use it A LOT! I hope the question isnt too broad, any input would be appreciated.

kaneboats
03-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Not a mojo expert but I'm sure you will find the help you need here. Welcome aboard!

KG's Supra24
03-21-2018, 10:53 AM
2015 - Autoflow (not autowake). Switch from the Mojo 2.5 to the current Mojo.

2016 - Autoflow 2.0 which had larger plates. There are multiple tower options. I believe it may be the first year of the reversible seat.

2017 - Autowake. This is the self ballasting system essentially. Won't be on all boats. Color in dash screen

2018 - Autowake 2. 6 pump ballast option, etc.

I'm misssing some nuances for sure but that's the general layout. Autowake is the biggest factor. 2015 and 2016 you will be "dialing" in the wave whereas the newer models have built in presets that get you a solid wave. I wouldn't stress over it too much but Autowake could be helpful for new users. You are certainly capable of getting a solid wave on your own, without it, though.

BigOrange
03-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Note that 2015 models will be manual flow or auto flow for surf system options. That is a nuance to be aware of. Also for 2017 forward you have Wetsounds audio options.

JamesG
03-21-2018, 03:25 PM
That helps clarify, thank you. And yes, i had noticed some 2015 models that had the auto flow on them. Tough decision to make with every year seemingly one upping the previous year in terms of surf technology. I would hate to buy a 2016 model only to find mid summer the autowake would have been worth the cost. Oh well, i will keep browsing the forum here and look for inspiration. And yes, i am planning to go next week to do a couple of demo's on 2015 and a 2016 that is at a local dealer, will let you know my personal findings.

RC_Hinojosa
03-21-2018, 04:22 PM
My budget would be better served at the 2015 model as this is our first wake surf type boat, but i am a bit conservative and can easily afford the 2018 if there is enough justification.

If you can easily afford the 2018, get the 2018 and make it yours. I don't know what the current backlog is, but there is so much to be said about creating your own build. To me personally, for the kind of money being spent, I want to pick out every last detail...from the gelcoat scheme on the boat to the transom steps on the trailer.

Autowake 2 & the G6 ballast system is really different then 2015 tech.

KnoxMojo
03-21-2018, 06:47 PM
2015 has 2 tower options, the forward swooping OZ and the more upright ''S" bend. Oh how I wish I had the S bend, but the OZ looks nice. After 2015, the cruise control adjustments are a lever just like the trim. I have the manual flow, and honestly, its the biggest reason I won't upgrade any time soon. I have it completely dialed and there is nothing to break. You can put the 2.0 tabs on the 15 auto flow, just fyi. I hear they are a huge improvement. But like others have said, the biggest tech is auto wake if wanted and the 6 pump ballast system. The hulls from 2015-2018 are all the same. The newer boats have the color screen as well. A 2018 Mojo Pro will have everything you could possibly want. Beware of looking at used boats with 250.0 hours. Those hours probably are not correct and the ecm needs updated to show the right hours. Any other questions, ask away. PS, these boats throw awesome wakes for wakeboarding!!!!!!

parrothd
03-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Did you check out the max?

JamesG
03-21-2018, 10:28 PM
2015 has 2 tower options, the forward swooping OZ and the more upright ''S" bend. Oh how I wish I had the S bend, but the OZ looks nice. After 2015, the cruise control adjustments are a lever just like the trim. I have the manual flow, and honestly, its the biggest reason I won't upgrade any time soon. I have it completely dialed and there is nothing to break. You can put the 2.0 tabs on the 15 auto flow, just fyi. I hear they are a huge improvement. But like others have said, the biggest tech is auto wake if wanted and the 6 pump ballast system. The hulls from 2015-2018 are all the same. The newer boats have the color screen as well. A 2018 Mojo Pro will have everything you could possibly want. Beware of looking at used boats with 250.0 hours. Those hours probably are not correct and the ecm needs updated to show the right hours. Any other questions, ask away. PS, these boats throw awesome wakes for wakeboarding!!!!!!
What about the tower would make you want the S bend vs OZ? I will have to look at both now that you bring it up, the towers are not something I have paid much attention to. And interesting take on the manual and it’s simplicity, certainly something to think about!

JamesG
03-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Did you check out the max?

Not really, and don’t really have a good reason for why not to be honest. Other than having a deeper hull, or so it appears in the pics, what is the main difference?

supra.d
03-21-2018, 10:50 PM
2018 Mojo with Autowake will have the amp sensor, this can be added to the 2017’s as well. There is a great thread on Auto Wake on here, goose explains what seems to be everything you ever need to know about Autowake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrothd
03-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Not really, and don’t really have a good reason for why not to be honest. Other than having a deeper hull, or so it appears in the pics, what is the main difference?

Huge amount of storage and the newest hull.

KnoxMojo
03-21-2018, 10:55 PM
James, the OZ tower tow point is further forward in the boat than the S bend.With the S bend, I believe you can upgrade your board racks to the Roswell Triton racks, which are awesome!! The S bend also looks a bit more modern and is taller for head room. The bimini is also different. The OZ bimini was a real pain for attaching ropes, but I had a zipper installed to remedy that issue. It may also be a grass is greener sort of thing for me as I have been on the new boats with the latest tower and actually like our bimini better now and how easy it is to deploy, but being able to easily add the Tritons would be nice.

Mojo to Max, Mojo is 23' with 100" beam, Max is 22.5' with 102" beam. The Max is a super sized Helix, whereas the Mojo is a proven machine and most think it looks better and is more plush.

parrothd
03-21-2018, 11:08 PM
James, the OZ tower tow point is further forward in the boat than the S bend.With the S bend, I believe you can upgrade your board racks to the Roswell Triton racks, which are awesome!! The S bend also looks a bit more modern and is taller for head room. The bimini is also different. The OZ bimini was a real pain for attaching ropes, but I had a zipper installed to remedy that issue. It may also be a grass is greener sort of thing for me as I have been on the new boats with the latest tower and actually like our bimini better now and how easy it is to deploy, but being able to easily add the Tritons would be nice.

Mojo to Max, Mojo is 23' with 100" beam, Max is 22.5' with 102" beam. The Max is a super sized Helix, whereas the Mojo is a proven machine and most think it looks better and is more plush.
I was pretty amazed how deep and big the max was at the boat show, on paper may look close size wise but it didn't in person.. Lol

KnoxMojo
03-21-2018, 11:17 PM
I was pretty amazed how deep and big the max was at the boat show, on paper may look close size wise but it didn't in person.. Lol

Oh, there is no comparison, The Max is huge! I guess its a love it or hate it sort of thing with most. I personally like it, but I also like the more traditional look of the Mojo.

KG's Supra24
03-21-2018, 11:31 PM
If I was going to throw a curve ball into the mix, I'd go the opposite direction ....

Instead of a new Moomba at used Mojo prices I'd be browsing used Supra's at new Mojo prices.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?30368-2016-sa450

"There is no way I'd go with a more spartan interior than we already have" - wife in regards to seeing Max at the boat show.

KnoxMojo
03-21-2018, 11:40 PM
Oh to be able to have a 2016 or newer SA...sigh.

KG, my wife said the same thing, she also said our 15 mojo looked nicer and felt better than a 2014 SA Worlds that we looked at. Moomba has come a long way.

parrothd
03-21-2018, 11:52 PM
If I was going to throw a curve ball into the mix, I'd go the opposite direction ....

Instead of a new Moomba at used Mojo prices I'd be browsing used Supra's at new Mojo prices.

"There is no way I'd go with a more spartan interior than we already have" - wife in regards to seeing Max at the boat show.

That's a lie, chicks love storage, you can store your boards in the lockers, plus all the all junk.. Lol

KG's Supra24
03-22-2018, 09:34 AM
We already store boards in the locker. No thanks on the junk.

JamesG
03-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Curve balls on Supra's, storing more junk, newest hulls....my head is spinning;) Really appreciate the feedback and input guys. I am going to look up Goose's thread as well and educate myself some more.

JamesG
03-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Guys, just read 10 pages of the Goose thread/sticky on Autowake. Holy cow at the load of information. But, walk me off the ledge here, it scares me when Matt starts talking about all the variables it takes to get a 200# guy with enough push to not have to pump like crazy. I am 205, and probably the lightest of my middle age friends, we would all like to surf a bit, but it is more for the kids, but still, i want a 220# buddy to be able to surf if he wants to. Is it really that complicated to get a rideable wave with lets say a 2016 Mojo without all the auto stuff? Nobody is going to be tricking it up for sure, just have some fun riding a wave behind the boat and making fun of each other!

KnoxMojo
03-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Are you on the Supra Moomba owners Facebook page yet? You'll see plenty of people surfing way back on Mojos without auto wake. Goose was only giving an example. Upgrade your rear bags, slight list to the surf side and let it rip. Auto wake really works better for wakeboarding anyway.

KG's Supra24
03-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Yea ... no concern there. 15 and 16 Mojos are more than capable of making a rideable wave.

Prospersigman
03-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Agreed as well...I owned a 2016 Mojo as a 1st surf boat and had no problem being a beginner surfer to ride all day long on a Mojo without Autosurf. I own a 2017 Supra now with Autosurf and never use it for surfing only for Wakeboarding. There is plenty of knowledge here to point you in the right direction to get a 2016 Mojo setup properly and surf all day long without Autosurf. Larger rear bags and 300-500 lbs of lead that you can move around easily and you will be dialed in.

kaneboats
03-23-2018, 09:56 AM
A 220# guy can surf behind a DD Outback if it is set up right. I used to do it. I can surf all day behind the LSV loaded up and with a suckg8. No problem at all with a Mojo.

KnoxMojo
03-23-2018, 11:38 AM
It also has a lot to do with the board you're trying to ride.

rdlangston13
03-23-2018, 12:23 PM
The look of the dash from the 2015 to the 2017 is a big improvement to me. The last is basically the same, the big difference is the bezzles around the gauges.

JamesG
03-23-2018, 04:17 PM
It also has a lot to do with the board you're trying to ride.

KnoxMojo, any favorites for that first board for beginners with maybe some room to grow. Is there a "one" board that would allow the younger and lighter riders to ride while also being rideable for us bigger adults? Or, will i need two boards due to teens vs heavier adults?

KnoxMojo
03-23-2018, 06:06 PM
I would advise to get 2 boards. Any board that a smaller rider can control isn't going to do much for a heavy rider. I have tried to find boards like this before for my 112 wife and my 200+ pound self. No luck as yet. Not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't found 1. That's not saying its not possible. It has to do with how buoyant the board is. Anything that carries me will be hard for her to control, whereas good boards for her, I will have trouble staying in the wave. As far as boards go, I am a big fan of people starting out with a 3 fin thruster design. It can be rode very locked in with all 3 fins, a bit looser surf style with 2 fins, and skim style with just the single rear. There are other options, but those seem to work for most people. Search craigslist and facebook marketplace for deals.

OHSupra
04-11-2018, 12:26 PM

I would by a 201 SA all day long for the same price over a new Moomba, all day long.