PDA

View Full Version : Battery cable hook up - probably a stupid one...

Broke Pilot
03-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Ok, so I was out messing with the SA this morning and noticed something weird with the battery cables in preparation for building a sub box and adding an amp.
I never realized this boat doesn’t have a protect system like the old ‘06, and one battery positive is running to the 1 spot on the switch. The second battery is running to the 1/2 position and the 2 spot cable is running back through the floor to the motor.
Shouldn’t the other battery be on the 2 spot? I talked to my guy at Rinkers and he said it probly came outta the factory that way and no one caught it if it’s wrong.
Like I said, probly a dumb question but I’ve never had a boat without the blue sea style protection system.
Thanks!

flynnva
03-20-2018, 02:05 PM
I'll check my 2018 Mojo but I agree with you. Unless I'm missing something, negative on battery 1 to negative on battery 2 to engine ground. Positive on battery 1 to position 1 on switch, positive on battery 2 to position 2 on switch. 1-2 on switch to starter. Position one on switch disconnects number 2 battery, position 2 on switch disconnects number one battery, position 1-2 on switch has both batteries to starter. Your wiring, position one would disconnect number 2 which is wire to starter. I would think that would disconnect the starter from the system and it wouldn't start. 1-2 would still work both batteries and 2 would still work number 2 battery, just backwards through the switch but still work.
That's how I just wired it through my head but sometimes I miss the obvious! lol!

Broke Pilot
03-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Yea that’s what I’m afraid of. Sometimes the simple stuff isn’t so simple. I’m gonna head out there in a few and take the switch off and look at it

dusty2221
03-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Pretty sure the lugs on the rear of the switch don't match up to the face of the switch and the sticker indicator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
03-20-2018, 07:27 PM
Ran outta time to pull it off and look. There should be 3 contacts but shielded in certain positions so you can get both batts flowing through the 1/2 position. I’ll get out there tomorrow and look. The shop is all clean and rearranged now in prep for a box build!
http://i.imgur.com/oKhCqCU.jpg

Broke Pilot
03-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Pretty sure the lugs on the rear of the switch don't match up to the face of the switch and the sticker indicator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yep... it was this.
Weird how they do that. Looked up BlueSeas instructions and sure enough... oh well, one less thing to worry about

MLA
03-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Just an FYI for those that have never looked. The thread cable studs are labeled.

Broke Pilot
03-21-2018, 10:58 PM
Thread cable?