PDA

View Full Version : Best Lakes in Michigan to Visit

jbauer
03-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Planning a trip in August this year around an event we have in Benton Harbor and looking to understand the best lakes to hit while in Michigan. Looking to drive from Benton Harbor north through upper peninsula of Michigan and then back down through Wisconsin to Madison.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mgigs7
03-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Torch Lake is very nice. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180314/25cad61e8a54c92f0a6266c9a9e33120.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BT_48170
03-14-2018, 06:53 AM
+1 for Torch. The chain of lakes that connects to Torch are also worth exploring, you can spend a full day checking everything out and boating to a couple different restaurants between Elk lake and Torch. Stay in the middle of the Torch river if you go to Elk Lake from Torch (stumps). Silver Lake at the silver lake sand dunes state park is a cool smaller lake although I probably wouldn't put my boat in with the sand content of the lake, you can rent a pontoon hourly though and mix it up with a tour of the dunes or rent a jeep or side by side.

jstenger
03-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Higgins Lake is large and clear. Just watch for the sunken island in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jbauer
03-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Looking forward to a little road trip this summer.

NOMITC74
03-14-2018, 09:09 PM
Make your way to Grand Traverse, Leelanau counties. Long Lake, Crystal Lake, Lake Leelanau and Glenn Lake are all great spots to go boating. Big, deep and clear water lakes. Perfect for Water Sports. As mentioned earlier in the thread Torch Lake is Awesome as well. Hang out in Traverse City, Glenn Lake or Sutton’s Bay for the restaurants and Bars.

yooper
03-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Holy shit, this could end up being quite the long thread.... Michigan has SO many awesome lakes. Torch is amazing. Caribbean blue water. You have to see it to believe it. It's REALLY big and super rough, though. If you want to wakeboard, ski or surf, you better plan on hitting it just at daybreak.

Crystal lake near Frankfort is really beautiful too, same deal though. Big and usually rough.

Moving north, Glen Lake has that bright blue water as well... Also, it is right by Sleeping Bear Dunes, so you could check that out too.

Burt and Mullett are very cool. They are connected by a river. You could spend about a week just exploring that chain. To the West, from Burt, the river eventually goes to Crooked Lake (you have to go through a lock, which is cool in itself). To the East from Mullett, the river goes to Cheboygan and out to Lake Huron (again, there is a lock).

Lake Charlevoix and Walloon lake are the jewels of the Petoskey/Charlevoix area. Stunningly beautiful. Also, you can park at the marina in downtown Charlevoix and walk around downtown, or go under the bridge into Lake Michigan!

After crossing the bridge, the lakes become different, but still pretty cool. The Curtis area has a few lakes and is a summer tourist area. Mostly attracts fishermen, but it's a tiny town that's really cool.

From there, DEFINITELY make your way to Marquette. I'm biased because I live there, but it is an awesome town. Lake Superior can be hit or miss... Keep a CLOSE eye on weather reports and wind directions, but if you're lucky, and it's a nice calm day, there is nothing like being on the big lake. It will definitely make you feel tiny.

Heading West out of Marquette, make a stop at Dead River Basin. Calm and amazing. Looks like a Canadian lake with rock bluffs and wilderness all around it.

Next stop would be Lake Michigamme. Tons of islands. This is THE quintessential U.P. lake and is a can't miss. I'd download a navionics app, though. There are areas to avoid.

From there, the route I would take is west to the town of Bruce Crossing, then south into Wisconsin. Eagle River and Minocqua are boating mecca's. Look at a map. It's crazy how many lakes are in Vilas and Oneida counties.

Let me know if you are coming to Marquette.

jobu
03-18-2018, 11:41 AM
If your hitting Benton Harbor Gull lake is by far the best lake in SW MI