PDA

View Full Version : 06 Outback Just Stopped Today!

BaileyAZ
09-24-2006, 02:22 AM
I was out on the lake today and my 06 Outback stopped! I had 3/4 of a tank of gas and the motor would turn over, but it would not run! I only have 22 hours on this boat since may. Anyone else have this issue? I am suspecting the fuel pump.

lowdrag
09-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Need more info. Which motor? Did it die while running or would it not start after you shut it off? Did you notice anything unusual (noises, heat, etc.)? What did you try if anything to get it running?

I'll just mention this because I know someone will, even though it's one of those obvious things. If the boat just stopped running out of the blue, check the kill switch.

Wolf-
09-24-2006, 09:11 AM
I was out on the lake today and my 06 Outback stopped! I had 3/4 of a tank of gas and the motor would turn over, but it would not run! I only have 22 hours on this boat since may. Anyone else have this issue? I am suspecting the fuel pump.

Little hangy thing pop out of the "driver overboard" switch?

smokedog2
09-24-2006, 09:48 AM
More technical stuff from Wolf minus

- what is what I wonder

Oh and I should check out that RSS stuff

BaileyAZ
09-24-2006, 01:16 PM
The motor is the 310hp w/carb.

I was idling through a no wake cove and when I passed through the no wake area I got on the throttle. The boat got up to plain and then just cut out. We pulled the air filter off the motor and turned it over a couple of times. You could not smell or see any gas in the carb.

smokedog2
09-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Do you see any gas spraying into the carb?

Pull the kill switch and put it back.

Throw a can of water eater in the gas tank

What was the motor temp? Did you suck in a plastic bag in the water intake?

lowdrag
09-24-2006, 11:52 PM
I suppose it could be the fuel pump, but I doubt it. Pumps will usually show some signs of trouble and do not go out suddenly. If you feel the need to check it, have someone listen to it or wrap their hand around it as you turn the key to the accessory position. You will feel it and hear it spin up as it pressurizes the fuel system. Or take a 12V battery and run some jumper wires to it and see if it spins up.

Once again, the kill switch is the first thing I'd check given your description of what happened.

Buttafewcoe
09-25-2006, 05:49 AM
:?

BensonWdby
09-25-2006, 07:17 PM
try adding gas. Maybe it is your gas gauge?

Wolf-
09-30-2006, 11:08 PM
More technical stuff from Wolf minus

- what is what I wonder

Oh and I should check out that RSS stuff

Back in the young days of the net I was "Wolf" (when no one else was around, telnet was young, Gopher was the in thing)

Then everyone wanted to be "Wolf", so by the time I would register on a new site, Wolf would be taken by someone who registered and never showed up more than once. So I threw the "-" dash on the end and went from there.

BaileyAZ
10-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Well, as I suspected...it was the fuel pump...kinda! I was told that it was a cracked wire/connection to the fuel pump that was causing the problem. I will get clarification when I go to the boat shop this week and post the results. Thank you eveyone for giving your opinions on this issue.

A floating boat is best when it has a working engine to propel it!!!

smokedog2
10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Actually, all in all - a floating boat is best with or without a working fuel pump 8)

SD2

BaileyAZ
10-07-2006, 10:31 PM
It was a bad wire to the fuel pump and a cracked spark plug that put the motor out of commision.

BaileyAZ
10-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I took the boat out and it cut out again. The dealer has a fix for the issue. It is a New 2006 Supra Launch 21V. They are going to give me what I paid for my boat on a trade in. Problem solved...for now.

smokedog2
10-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Hummm, wire cutters on my 05 to land an 07 Supra?

Starts a guy to thinking.

BaileyAZ
10-21-2006, 12:48 AM
No wire cutters or any other tools involved in this deal. I would have been perfectly happy with the Moomba if it ran right.

On a lighter note, I did test drive and purchase my Supra today. Yeah, I bought it! This boat is sweat, but part of me will miss the Moomba and it's payment! :shock:

bobwells
02-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Baily 3 keys to make an internal combustion engine go... 1- fuel 2- fire 3-compression. I always look for fuel and fire first. with only 22 hrs i dont think comp. is a prob. pull a plug wire, stick a screwdriver in end of wire and have someone spin motor while screw driver is close enuff to "jump fire" to a metal source on block. you will see a spark or even possibly "feel" it if not holding insulated handle on screw driver. if you see the spark, put wire back on and pull breather, if you open throttle and see no fuel spraying into carb throats, just pour a small amount of gas into carb say a 1/4 cup or so while someone turns engine, if you have the spark to plugs and pour in some fuel she will make some noise. if it fires or runs briefly then start checking fuel pump for getting fire as explained earlier.
there is (on mine anyway) a fuel relay sensor, I have replaced mine. its screws into the back of the block/manifold on top it lets pump know when to shut off/on. it could be bad, could be as simple as loose wire or connection etc. or kill switch as mentioned before... these are certainly the places to start trouble shooting, dont panic tho it'll be an easy fix just a little frustrating, plus look at the bright side, all the knowledge you'll gain by working on your ride! have a super spring and summer>>> phatsac bob :-)

bobwells
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
wow dummy me, never saw page 2! the rest of the story... sorry, glad you got going, bob