PDA

View Full Version : New Season Best Advice Thread

kaneboats
03-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Activity has been picking up this week so I thought I'd create an opportunity to share advice. We have lots of new boat owners, new inboard owners and new Moomba/Supra owners. There is such a wealth of knowledge on here I thought it would be cool to allow everybody to share the best advice they have received or maybe given or anything that helped them along the way.

*** Please keep this thread to posting advice. If you have a specific question, please start a new thread and you will get timely responses in that thread. Thank you! ***

I'll kick it off.

1. Do your own visual inspection of every part of your rig every time out. This includes things like your trailer bunks, life jacket #'s, fluid levels, etc.

2. It also doesn't hurt to flag down the marine patrol/coast guard/sheriff and ask them to give you a run through early in the season. It may help that they remember you and know your boat on those busy weekends when you don't really want to deal with them.

3. Don't be the captain that is so annoyed/angry/paranoid/anally retentive, etc. that you ruin others' good times. The boat should be respected but it does get dirty and some things break. Your attitude about these things will usually determine how much fun it is to go out. Think of each outing as a pleasure cruise and try to loosen up and have some fun.

yearround
03-06-2018, 02:34 PM
I saw this thread headline and i thought this must be from Kane, just like Dad to get us ready! they just opened our lake here for the season, going to try and get wet this weekend.

great reminder for getting ready and checking things out.

my thing for the first ride of the season, is that i go out hoping to get a ride, but expecting to find some surprise that just may put me back on the trailer.

i guess i will hook up the battery charger and see how things fared over the winter, change the impeller, check the oil and other fluids. say a prayer that the heater core did not freeze this year and anything else for that matter.

always have fun

it is always a good day on the water. just the water conditions may not be so good.

trayson
03-06-2018, 03:01 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/store_cash/images/products/thumb_120_NoPowerTurns.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJloY9Rp_o

DFTR Josh
03-06-2018, 03:05 PM
1st time starting I suggest a fake a lake at home just to make sure everything is ok.
Make it a habit to always check your fluids every time out.
I always find the 1st water cop and have him pass me off for the year with his inspection.
Wipe down after every use inside and out.
Progression is key, if it's not happening remind yourself to suck less LOL.

sivs1
03-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Once everything is up and running hit the launch early, before things get busy, relearn or teach someone how to either back the truck or launch/load the boat. My wife is awesome at launching and loading but she refuses to back the truck.

Don't be that guy that backs the truck, gets into the boat, launches boat, go to the dock, tie up, back to the truck all while blocking the only lane on the ramp!

Another one for me, "Naked Only", no shoes.

And of course everything everyone else has already said.

Stazi
03-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Shoes on a wake boat is silly and unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyMobius
03-06-2018, 03:52 PM
3. Don't be the captain that is so annoyed/angry/paranoid/anally retentive, etc. that you ruin others' good times. The boat should be respected but it does get dirty and some things break. Your attitude about these things will usually determine how much fun it is to go out. Think of each outing as a pleasure cruise and try to loosen up and have some fun.

That one above is a really important one for ME to remember!

One of the most helpful tips I got from this forum last year - my first year learning how to drive an inboard - was practicing using a lifejacket thrown into the water. Both my wife and I felt that was super helpful for getting the feel of driving at slow speeds and/or backing up. Makes you feel more comfortable when it's an actual rider in the water you are coming around to pick up.

Shoebox
03-06-2018, 06:17 PM
Progression is key, if it's not happening remind yourself to suck less LOL.
Dammit! That's what I've been doing wrong! [emoji23]

rdlangston13
03-06-2018, 06:55 PM

This is a big one for me. I have to really work hard to loosen up sometimes but usually after a few beers I get better. I just can't stand it though when people have 0 regard for your stuff, especially when its a boat that cost tens of thousands of dollars.

flynnva
03-06-2018, 09:30 PM
When you have that bad approach to the slip or dock, start over, trying to save it never works and don't be to proud to throw a rope to someone.
Never approach a dock faster than you are willing to hit it!

MJHSupra
03-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Use the boat MORE - no more decisions after work on whether to go out or not. Just GO!

bergermaister
03-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Might sound a little selfish but....

Don't be afraid to be the first rider in the water or one of the first. If you wait too long while everyone else has a turn you may be fighting the chop with wind and tubers. At least that's how it goes around here! There's been too many times when I'm a great host, driver, dad, etc and in the end my board never touches the water.

kaneboats
03-07-2018, 02:50 PM
There was some great stuff in last year's thread too:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?29145-Do-s-and-Don-t-s

zabooda
03-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Might sound a little selfish but....

Don't be afraid to be the first rider in the water or one of the first. If you wait too long while everyone else has a turn you may be fighting the chop with wind and tubers. At least that's how it goes around here! There's been too many times when I'm a great host, driver, dad, etc and in the end my board never touches the water.

Owner/driver always gets the preferred time and start location. Amazing how that works.

Also, you need to assume there may be boats behind you whether on a plane or idling to a dock. If you stop or reverse, be sure to look around before doing so. Some people drive boats like cars and could be on your tail.

Shoebox
03-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Cheetos/Cheese puffs + Children + Damp Boat Carpets do not mix. Trust me. If your friends with kids show up with cheese puffs politely tell them no.This. My wife has a "no orange food" rule on the boat. [emoji23]

russellsmojo
03-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Best advice - Every trip to the lake be like 🤙! Ease up!

Ed_Geary
03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
While floating in the water and you toss your empty beer can into the boat and miss, go retrieve the beer can.

RC_Hinojosa
03-08-2018, 11:33 AM
I guess due to the prospect of being out on the water I get super excited (and anxious) when getting all my gear together and going through my mental checklist.

I've gone through the procedure tons of times but when I feel rushed, I get flustered. Just the other day when yanking the boat out of storage I thought I had everything sorted and taken care of. As I pulled out, I heard a grind and realized the trailer jack was still in the down position....whoops. Guess that gives me a reason to snag a Fulton F2, LOL.

Not a big deal, nothing to be trippin about....just a solid reminder to:

rdlangston13
03-09-2018, 10:32 PM
I guess due to the prospect of being out on the water I get super excited (and anxious) when getting all my gear together and going through my mental checklist.

I've gone through the procedure tons of times but when I feel rushed, I get flustered. Just the other day when yanking the boat out of storage I thought I had everything sorted and taken care of. As I pulled out, I heard a grind and realized the trailer jack was still in the down position....whoops. Guess that gives me a reason to snag a Fulton F2, LOL.

Not a big deal, nothing to be trippin about....just a solid reminder to:

On our old LSV I got in a pretty big hurry once while putting it away that I pulled forward with the lights still plugged in. Ripped up some wires but luckily all the damage was right there in the tongue and easy to fix.

Ironcross25
03-10-2018, 12:01 PM
+1 on the run through with the ranger or coast guard. I was pulled over and ticketed because lack of equipment which I thought I had all of. Some of the things I thought were for bigger water ways. Learned the hard way.

Sit back and relax. The lake is there to escape and chill. Don’t let the guys that have no clue ruin your day. Stay alert. And you will avoid these peeps for the most part.

Check your drain plugs.
check your bilge area while out. Never know when a leak appears or a seal goes.