PDA

View Full Version : Help me get a new board

mcjimmy33
03-05-2018, 08:21 PM
I currently have a 2011 hyperlite broadcast 4'9". I want to upgrade and get a hybrid board. What technology do the new boards have that mine is missing? What advantages will the newer boards have? I weight 150 and my other friend who uses the board primarily weighs about 185. Looking for help and dont have a tight budget but dont want to waste my money, looking for a value option. I have read reviews on wakemakers etc but every board has a similar all positive review, not one bad comment written on any of them. Doesn't really help me decide or learn. Help???

muehlcj
03-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Check this out for peer style reviews
http://southernsurfest.com/2017-wakesurf-board-reviews/

Top 10 boards:
https://vimeo.com/218680423

kaneboats
03-06-2018, 10:49 AM
I would probably counsel against a hybrid board. If you like skim, stick with skim. If you like surf, stick with surf. I know this might mean you eventually need two boards but with a hybrid you never get the best of both and rarely get the best of either.

mcjimmy33
03-06-2018, 11:23 AM
I really don’t know what I want, so I thought going hybrid was smart since it was in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
03-06-2018, 11:37 AM
I think that's how my grandpa ended up with 2 El Caminos :o

Our local pro shop will let you put a deposit down and demo several boards, under the premise that you are buying one and the deposit goes toward the purchase. I agree with Kane, pick a skim or a surf style and go from there. You likely aren't sure which style you like so a demo would be optimal.

Do you have a local shop? If so, do you know what brands they carry?

My Parker Surfcraft kicks butt.

kaneboats
03-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Ha ha. My grandpa had el caminos too. Stepdad had a Ranchero too. Always thought they were the dumbest vehicles but they sold a ton of them.

Addendum: OH NO! Not again!

https://pickuptrucks2018.com/2018-chevrolet-el-camino/

muehlcj
03-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Email this guy [email protected]

I’ve heard he makes so Okay boards.

kaneboats
03-06-2018, 02:25 PM
You probably know that guy better than anyone.

mcjimmy33
03-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Email this guy [email protected]

I’ve heard he makes so Okay boards.

Ok I’ll bite, is that you?

Also I live in Atlanta by allatoona lake so I might see if I can find a demo shop around here.

muehlcj
03-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Ok I’ll bite, is that you?

Also I live in Atlanta by allatoona lake so I might see if I can find a demo shop around here.

You might want to reach out to Singleton Marine Group. They had/have some demo boards and they sponsor some pretty sick women that you might be able to book a killer lesson with.

Chaos
03-15-2018, 01:18 PM
I would say it is not about technology specifically, that is to list of tech better than the broadcast will be a very long list. The broadcast is one of the most popular beginner boards, but is usually quickly relegated to a boat board within less than a season. They are everywhere and inexpensive.

Hybrid or not really depends on what you are talking about. Many years ago, I referred to all wakesurfboards as hybrids, in that none of them were really ocean surfboards, but hybrids sharing attributes of numerous styles of boards. Still today most really are still hybrids. Some float more towards a surfboard others float more to a skim board on the spectrum.

Yes, reading reviews or description at online stores is very limiting, it is generally marketing jargon. People hype what they sell, usually don't know much about any board specifically beyond what a rep has told them.

As far as performance boards go you and your friend are right in that typical range of a 4'5-4'6" board, you can actually ride smaller and more refined, but since your buddy is a good bit heavier than you, you need some leeway.

Yes starting with a hybrid is a good decision given you are already planning on multiple riders and if you choose right it will help you decide if you really gravitate more to surf style or skim style. In general most hybrids tend to be easier to ride, are more intuitive with simply throttle and brake, and more forgiving.

In my line up, hybrids are like this... skim------->RacerX------>Ringer-------->Sixer------->Surfstyle (Team Pro, Mystix, Chaos Pro, Pocket Rocket). Basically the RacerX is the most skimmy of surf style hybrids we make, if you want something more skimmy then I suggest a skim board to people, and a Sixer filling the gap between a typical hybrid and a pro style aerial board.

I have lots of people that ride out on Allatoona and Lanier.

Nick
Chaos Surf Co.