PDA

View Full Version : Craz Subwoofer Pics

Sssprf4471
02-28-2018, 01:42 AM
Have a 2018 Craz and looking to install a sub under helm. Can anyone share pictures of installs you have had done and any feedback on what works or changes you would do. Thank you in advance for your information.

RC_Hinojosa
02-28-2018, 10:37 AM
There are a ton of different directions you can take this so I'd start off by providing some more info. What all do you currently have? I'm guessing you don't have the factory sub? Are your in-boats powered? Tower speakers? I'm asking because you could easily overtake the rest of your setup without balance.

What is your rough budget? (beer or champagne)

I have the factory Kicker 800.5 driving my in-boats and a pair of KM10s in a ported enclosure, it sounds phenomenal but it isn't gonna win any SPL competitions. For me, it was a half-measure upgrade to get a little more use out of the 800.5 before doing something custom.

There are plenty of manufactured enclosures out there that will fit under the helm and pair well with factory or mid-level subs. Once you start looking at premium subs (JL W3/W6/W7/WS XXX, etc.) you are gonna want a custom built enclosure that is built to that specific sub's air space requirements and tuned to it's frequency response.

Another thing to consider is music tastes...ported enclosures tend to produce a louder output that travels well (great for rap/EDM/reggae), sealed enclosures produce a tighter response (think double bass pedal in rock/heavy metal).

There was a post on FB not too long ago showing some wicked setups...Some guys like Brett are running 4 10s, some run 1 W7, others 2 12" L7s.

Honestly there are plenty of options available whether you are just looking for a little more bottom end or are a true basshead.

snowking
02-28-2018, 10:59 AM
There are a ton of different directions you can take this so I'd start off by providing some more info. What all do you currently have? I'm guessing you don't have the factory sub? Are your in-boats powered? Tower speakers? I'm asking because you could easily overtake the rest of your setup without balance.

I have the factory Kicker 800.5 driving my in-boats and a pair of KM10s in a ported enclosure, it sounds phenomenal but it isn't gonna win any SPL competitions. For me, it was a half-measure upgrade to get a little more use out of the 800.5 before doing something custom.

There are plenty of manufactured enclosures out there that will fit under the helm and pair well with factory or mid-level subs. Once you start looking at premium subs (JL W3/W6/W7/WS XXX, etc.) you are gonna want a custom built enclosure that is built to that specific sub's air space requirements and tuned to it's frequency response.

Another thing to consider is music tastes...ported enclosures tend to produce a louder output that travels well (great for rap/EDM/reggae), sealed enclosures produce a tighter response (think double bass pedal in rock/heavy metal).

There was a post on FB not too long ago showing some wicked setups...Some guys like Brett are running 4 10s, some run 1 W7, others 2 12" L7s.

Honestly there are plenty of options available whether you are just looking for a little more bottom end or are a true basshead.

That’s great input I just ordered a factory box for a mojo pro and was planning on putting a xxx it.. sounds like that plan is out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
02-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Wetsounds XXXv2 powered by Wetsounds SD2. Ported enclosure built by Earmark Marine. Only thing I'd change is moving the steering cable and adding a 2nd XXX behind the one shown below.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/5a88c65aecf4bd0f8f5a36fd064201d4.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160501/4576c497fa0ecfc64c0c0d7710fdb1a3.jpg

RC_Hinojosa
02-28-2018, 11:06 AM
That’s great input I just ordered a factory box for a mojo pro and was planning on putting a xxx it.. sounds like that plan is out the door.

There is no reason you couldn't use a prebuilt enclosure, it's just that you'd likely gain much more performance from a custom enclosure so that the sub could reach it's true potential. You have a Mojo Pro and the XXX is an $800 sub, the box is likely something you don't wanna skimp on....jus sayin ;)

snowking
02-28-2018, 11:10 AM
That looks awesome it looks easy enough to do it my self. So that box fits even with the steering cable where it’s at now? I guess my question is if I bend that tubing out of the way it shouldn’t cause any issues? And 1 xxx isn’t enough?

KG's Supra24
02-28-2018, 11:21 AM
"That looks awesome it looks easy enough to do it my self." They certainly make it look easy.

The factory kickplate was removed and the box slid back as far as it could go. Mounted on feet to keep it off the floor, braced to sides to keep it from moving. Then a new facade built to make it look factory as possible. We had to give up a couple inches of legroom but not much at all.

The XXX is awesome. It thumps and will be enough. BUT, It's hard to have too much bass, you can always dial it back. That's why I said 2.

What amp do you plan to use to power the sub?

What amps comes in the Mojo Pro?

stevemarich
02-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Rockford prime series 12 , ran at 300 watts , custom ported box behind factory face plate , for the money it bumps, have been toying with the idea of going to the xxx or exile big 12. But I can hear it surfing just great and it rattles the crap out of the helm as is ,so probably won't spend more , other thought would have been 2 10s of some sorthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/910b73b2b1bb01edad5281ae876380d0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/4ca156169b104f90655da3c9a40bad12.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

snowking
02-28-2018, 11:45 AM
"That looks awesome it looks easy enough to do it my self." They certainly make it look easy.

The factory kickplate was removed and the box slid back as far as it could go. Mounted on feet to keep it off the floor, braced to sides to keep it from moving. Then a new facade built to make it look factory as possible. We had to give up a couple inches of legroom but not much at all.

The XXX is awesome. It thumps and will be enough. BUT, It's hard to have too much bass, you can always dial it back. That's why I said 2.

What amp do you plan to use to power the sub?

What amps comes in the Mojo Pro?

I’m not sure I have a regular mojo and got all wetsounds speakers amps ect. And was going to add the sub box from the pro. My thoughts were that it was plug and play being that there the same
Amps sinister 2 channel for sub
Sinister 6 for insides
Dx 2.3 for rev 10’s

KG's Supra24
02-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Awesome gear! Top notch.

If you have 1200 watts going to the XXX, a purpose built box should net a lot of cleanliness. I'd try to build it to Wetsounds specs. I believe they have them posted for both ported and sealed enclosures.

SD6 will be more than enough for the in boats.

dx2.3 looks pretty well matched to the 10's as well. Could do 1 or 2 pair. I'd defer to Wetsounds, or other pros, on whether or not the SD and DX2.3 should be swapped in their purpose.

I'm not sure what box they are using in the Pro but I'd be surprised if it was ready for 1200 watts. How do the specs compare to Wetsounds recommendations?

snowking
02-28-2018, 12:42 PM
I don’t I told my dealer to order it if it were at least 1.2 cu I’m hoping it’s built thick enough

MLA
02-28-2018, 12:49 PM
on whether or not the SD and DX2.3 should be swapped in their purpose

I like the Syn-DX2.3HP for Rev-10s, it has proven to do well. As for a woofer like the XXX, I prefer the DX-2.3HP over the SD-2. If I had one of each, ID rather run the woofer on the DX2.3HP and the Rev-10 on the SD-2.

Yes, Wet Sounds has suggest enclosure specs for the XXX. Just not, you do not need to duplicate their enclosure dimensions.

snowking
02-28-2018, 01:04 PM
I like the Syn-DX2.3HP for Rev-10s, it has proven to do well. As for a woofer like the XXX, I prefer the DX-2.3HP over the SD-2. If I had one of each, ID rather run the woofer on the DX2.3HP and the Rev-10 on the SD-2.

Yes, Wet Sounds has suggest enclosure specs for the XXX. Just not, you do not need to duplicate their enclosure dimensions.

I’ve put together a couple of systems in my vehicles and from my experience the higher the ohms the better the sq I’ve never done one in a boat with open air. From your experience what sounds better ported or sealed in a boat?

KG's Supra24
02-28-2018, 01:33 PM
Swapping their purpose doesn't change their ohm load. I don't think? Both are rated very similar and would be wired the same.

Open environment in the boat will eat up bass output you usually feel in a car. Ported lends itself to more output.

RC_Hinojosa
02-28-2018, 01:44 PM
I don’t I told my dealer to order it if it were at least 1.2 cu I’m hoping it’s built thick enough

This is the same box in the Supra with the factory JL sub, (just like the setup Russell is selling) even if there is enough cubic ft, I would double check the mounting depth as I imagine the XXX magnet & motor assembly is way larger than what that factory enclosure is intended for.

MLA
02-28-2018, 02:08 PM
I’ve put together a couple of systems in my vehicles and from my experience the higher the ohms the better the sq I’ve never done one in a boat with open air. From your experience what sounds better ported or sealed in a boat?

With the quality of today's amplifiers, I would not worry much about the difference between a 2 ohm or 4 ohm SQ. Id go with more head room wattage wise, and not worry about a 2 ohm load on the amp.

In the scenario here, the woofer is wired to 4 ohm and bridged across a 2 chnl amp. SO both amps would be driving the same load and their output is vertically identical. Now, if you want to run an amp at a comfortable 4 ohm pace, go with a large mono woofer amp that will deliver the desired wattage @ 4 ohm. Hold out for the new SD mono or something like the Kicker KXA2400.1.

Both sound good with the right woofer, right enclosure, good power and tuned right. The ported will give you more output without the need for more amp power. The XXX really deserves a ported enclosure.

KG's Supra24
02-28-2018, 02:17 PM
SO both amps would be driving the same load and their output is vertically identical.

what about horizontally?

rdlangston13
02-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Wetsounds XXXv2 powered by Wetsounds SD2. Ported enclosure built by Earmark Marine. Only thing I'd change is moving the steering cable and adding a 2nd XXX behind the one shown below.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/5a88c65aecf4bd0f8f5a36fd064201d4.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160501/4576c497fa0ecfc64c0c0d7710fdb1a3.jpg

Did earmark build the facade too? We built a box and I am not sure how to about make custom facade that will line up with the box properly once installed.

KG's Supra24
02-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Did earmark build the facade too? We built a box and I am not sure how to about make custom facade that will line up with the box properly once installed.

I was thinking Dusty did but I may be wrong. It's possible I went up there, to Earmark, with a blank piece of starboard so it could be cut after the sub was mounted into it's final position.

I'd think you will for sure need to do it after the box is in.

MLA
02-28-2018, 03:45 PM
what about horizontally?

Just rotate the amp 90* and the atoms will line back up

rdlangston13
02-28-2018, 04:19 PM
I was thinking Dusty did but I may be wrong. It's possible I went up there, to Earmark, with a blank piece of starboard so it could be cut after the sub was mounted into it's final position.

I'd think you will for sure need to do it after the box is in.

yeah we went all last summer just looking at the box. not nearly as pretty as yours. we didn't even mount the box to the floor. Its so heavy it really doesnt move much but I am sure mounting it would be a much better option.

RC_Hinojosa
02-28-2018, 05:01 PM
While we're on this topic of subs....have you guys had to put Dynamat anywhere? Since I've gone to the 2 KM10s I'm hearing an audible buzz/rattle emanating from the dash...like if I push my hand hard against the dash, it attenuates the buzz. I wedged a life jacket between the windshield and dash to confirm I wasn't hearing imaginary things.

I think some Dynamat would be the solution, I just shudder at the thought of trying to apply it underneath the dash without removing the dash itself. I only imagine the guys running the big dog subs get this buzz/rattle times 10...or maybe y'alls setups are so loud it's a moot point?

rdlangston13
02-28-2018, 08:49 PM
While we're on this topic of subs....have you guys had to put Dynamat anywhere? Since I've gone to the 2 KM10s I'm hearing an audible buzz/rattle emanating from the dash...like if I push my hand hard against the dash, it attenuates the buzz. I wedged a life jacket between the windshield and dash to confirm I wasn't hearing imaginary things.

I think some Dynamat would be the solution, I just shudder at the thought of trying to apply it underneath the dash without removing the dash itself. I only imagine the guys running the big dog subs get this buzz/rattle times 10...or maybe y'alls setups are so loud it's a moot point?

We have a rattle from what seems to be the vinyl trim piece on the right side of the dash. I need to get up in there and check for loose screws or nuts.

RC_Hinojosa
02-28-2018, 09:11 PM
We have a rattle from what seems to be the vinyl trim piece on the right side of the dash. I need to get up in there and check for loose screws or nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's exactly where my rattle comes from...the right side of the dash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
02-28-2018, 09:39 PM

That's exactly where my rattle comes from...the right side of the dash.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26737&d=1519828551

we didn't even mount the box to the floor. Its so heavy it really doesnt move much but I am sure mounting it would be a much better option.

.................... Look at Texas problem solve.

Sssprf4471
02-28-2018, 10:39 PM

I have the 6 Kickers that came with boat. Added 2 Rev 10's as part of deal. Now, the system is clearly under powered. It came from factory with a DXA 200.4 that is running the 6 Kickers. Then has a Kicker XM 200.2 running the Rev 10's. At this point I am going to stick with the 6 Kicker in boat speakers. I want to add a sub under the helm and proper amp to run that and the Rev 10's . Budget is open...let's call it an IPA budget. We listen to all types of music. I want depth to the music and do not need to make the water dance or the need to prove anything to other boaters. Just want a well rounded system that is installed clean that I can be comfortable with. I do have dual batteries. Would like to stay with 2, but am not opposed to adding 1 if needed. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

russellsmojo
02-28-2018, 10:51 PM
This is the same box in the Supra with the factory JL sub, (just like the setup Russell is selling) even if there is enough cubic ft, I would double check the mounting depth as I imagine the XXX magnet & motor assembly is way larger than what that factory enclosure is intended for.

Yes and it’s for a 10 inch sub. Maybe the pro comes with 12? Not sure.

russellsmojo
02-28-2018, 10:55 PM
I have the 6 Kickers that came with boat. Added 2 Rev 10's as part of deal. Now, the system is clearly under powered. It came from factory with a DXA 200.4 that is running the 6 Kickers. Then has a Kicker XM 200.2 running the Rev 10's. At this point I am going to stick with the 6 Kicker in boat speakers. I want to add a sub under the helm and proper amp to run that and the Rev 10's . Budget is open...let's call it an IPA budget. We listen to all types of music. I want depth to the music and do not need to make the water dance or the need to prove anything to other boaters. Just want a well rounded system that is installed clean that I can be comfortable with. I do have dual batteries. Would like to stay with 2, but am not opposed to adding 1 if needed. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Look at wet sounds syn dx6 for cabins and REVO 12hp sub. Then Syn dx4 for towers.

KG's Supra24
03-01-2018, 12:57 AM

I agree with Russell. I think both factory amps will end up ditched with IPA taste.

5 channel for cabin and amp for the towers is a solid solution. A good quality 5 channel can leave you with 500-600 watts to the sub which sounds like is what you are after.

When picking the tower amp, I'd give thought to whether or not you will want a 2nd pair in the future. Easy to build for it now at a small costs vs scrapping an amp later and rebuying.

You will have several brands to chose from so what are your thoughts on matching? Want everything on the amp rack to match? Want sub to match towers or cockpit? Or does any of that matter.

On in boats ... if you are considering upgrading those in the future, it may play into your amp choice now.

2 batteries is likely adequate for 2 efficient amps.

KG's Supra24
03-01-2018, 02:03 AM
Look at wet sounds syn dx6 for cabins and REVO 12hp sub. Then Syn dx4 for towers.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBeen putting together a system huh? That's a solid solution.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

russellsmojo
03-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Been putting together a system huh? That's a solid solution.

Haha. Yes. Too many hours on it already.

Prospersigman
03-01-2018, 09:38 AM
Been putting together a system huh? That's a solid solution.

Question is...what new boat the new sound system is going to go into??

russellsmojo
03-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Starts with M. Don’t want to kill a great sub thread.

DFTR Josh
03-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Starts with M. Don’t want to kill a great sub thread.
Time to post the build pictures, you can start here :cool: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?30435-Build-me-a-MAX&p=321773#post321773

snowking
03-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Can anyone confirm if the mojo pro comes with a 10” or 12” sub?

RC_Hinojosa
03-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Time to post the build pictures, you can start here :cool: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?30435-Build-me-a-MAX&p=321773#post321773

Nope...not a Max, she's a real looker though.

RC_Hinojosa
03-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Can anyone confirm if the mojo pro comes with a 10” or 12” sub?

Looks like a 10"

snowking
03-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Looks like a 10"

Yea that does look like a 10” thanks

MLA
03-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Looks like a 10"

Looks like the 10FA or 10HP in the same enclosure the JL M10IB was in

Prospersigman
03-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Nope...not a Max, she's a real looker though.

MMMHHHMMMM.....Not a Max, but begins with M??

Russell is going back to a Mojo again.

98outback
03-01-2018, 09:23 PM
How do you know what hz to build a ported box at for a specific sub?

RC_Hinojosa
03-01-2018, 09:31 PM
How do you know what hz to build a ported box at for a specific sub?Most speaker manufacturers include that information along with air space cubic ft requirements on their website or owners manual.

MMPRES
03-02-2018, 05:16 PM
I know it's bushleague when it comes to sound equipment, but I still have the stock sub. Has anyone tried modding the housing for it, or creating a closure to achieve better bass with the factory settings? Or is it just a lost cause out of the box?

MLA
03-02-2018, 05:35 PM
I know it's bushleague when it comes to sound equipment, but I still have the stock sub. Has anyone tried modding the housing for it, or creating a closure to achieve better bass with the factory settings? Or is it just a lost cause out of the box?

IIRC, the 2016 would have been the Kicker KM10 woofer with no enclosure, mounted to a 3/4 facade wall under the helm?

98outback
03-02-2018, 06:09 PM
IIRC, the 2016 would have been the Kicker KM10 woofer with no enclosure, mounted to a 3/4 facade wall under the helm?

Mla I sent you a pm

MMPRES
03-02-2018, 06:30 PM

You are correct sir.

MLA
03-02-2018, 07:02 PM
You are correct sir.

Build a sealed enclosure between .8ft3 and 1.0ft3 for it, retune the amp and it will be a different animal! That woofer is not the most ideal for infinite-baffle, but actually works ok. The biggest issue with most of these boats, is that the helm wall is not closed off at the top, but about 3/4 of a wall. This just ruins any attempt at a quality IB alignment.

or go ported with about 1.5Ft3 @ 38Hz.

MMPRES
03-06-2018, 11:29 AM
Build a sealed enclosure between .8ft3 and 1.0ft3 for it, retune the amp and it will be a different animal! That woofer is not the most ideal for infinite-baffle, but actually works ok. The biggest issue with most of these boats, is that the helm wall is not closed off at the top, but about 3/4 of a wall. This just ruins any attempt at a quality IB alignment.

or go ported with about 1.5Ft3 @ 38Hz.

The majority of your statement is in another language that evidently I'm not even kindergarten equivalent. But I'll try and decipher it with my neophyte vocabulary. I'm typically better in practice than concepts when it comes to stereos.

So If I were to build an enclosure with those measurements, what material is best? (wood, composite, etc?) Would I be able to piggyback off the existing wall where the sub is mounted (i.e., build a box around it still mounted to the panel)?
Not exactly familiar with the term infinite-baffle, but I'm guessing it deals with the reverberation of the sound, or how the sound it makes is distributed/projected.

And I have no clue what you mean with ported 1.5 ft.cu. @ 38 Hz. ---Is 38 Hz the power coming from the amp? Is that measured on the amp?
If I remember correctly, a ported box is one with a "breather" hole for the sub. Would the port be best directed into the cockpit?
Which is better for optimal sound production (ported, enclosed)? Will either put more wear on the product?

Again, I apologize as I know very little about stereo. Thanks in advance for all your help.

MLA
03-06-2018, 12:49 PM
The majority of your statement is in another language that evidently I'm not even kindergarten equivalent. But I'll try and decipher it with my neophyte vocabulary. I'm typically better in practice than concepts when it comes to stereos.

So If I were to build an enclosure with those measurements, what material is best? (wood, composite, etc?) Would I be able to piggyback off the existing wall where the sub is mounted (i.e., build a box around it still mounted to the panel)?
Not exactly familiar with the term infinite-baffle, but I'm guessing it deals with the reverberation of the sound, or how the sound it makes is distributed/projected.

And I have no clue what you mean with ported 1.5 ft.cu. @ 38 Hz. ---Is 38 Hz the power coming from the amp? Is that measured on the amp?
If I remember correctly, a ported box is one with a "breather" hole for the sub. Would the port be best directed into the cockpit?
Which is better for optimal sound production (ported, enclosed)? Will either put more wear on the product?

Again, I apologize as I know very little about stereo. Thanks in advance for all your help.

No need to apologize.

Yes, you can build a simple square/rectangle enclosure to go behind the woofer/wall with the wall being back in about its original location.

Quality .75" ply of MDF. The trick is in the construction and sealing. Devil's in the details.

infinite baffle means BIG box behind the woofer, rather then a small box. These boats cannot support the IB using the helm cavity as the box because the wall the woofer is mounted to, is open at the top. Think of a window AC unit set on the kitchen table expecting it to produce cold AC and cool the room. Cold air is supposed to come out the front but we have hot air as a byproduct coming of the back of the window AC unit. The hot and cold air mix, making it not effective.

Putting the woofer an actual box is like putting the window unit in the window as is needs to be. No we get the proper cold air, or bass if you will.

Yep, ported box does breath. It has a tuned opening. Not just an opening, but its tuned like any other musical instrument. the 1.5 ft3 refers to the internal air volume and 38Hz is the tuned frequency, in hertz, that the port is tuned to. Yes, port is best firing into the cabin along side the woofer. We get more output from a ported, but the trade off is a larger pox, more complicated to build and harder to fit in the boat.

MMPRES
03-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Ok, so let's say I would go the route of building my own enclosed box. What sort of sealing is necessary? Is there anything needed on the interior of the box?
For the wiring harness in the back, I assume that insert you added yourself. Or is that the back of the sub? If not, where did you find that part? Do you have to branch the wires to the port from the sub and then out to the amp (as in two separate sets of wires)?

RC_Hinojosa
03-06-2018, 04:00 PM
If you are truly intent on building your own box, you can find what you need here: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_743/Build-Your-Own-Subwoofer-Box.html?tp=855&pg=1

The other thing to consider is Amazon is your friend...you can find a well built, rhino-lined, pre-built enclosure on the cheap.

Here is an example that I ran when I had 1 KM10: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NG38QW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rdlangston13
03-06-2018, 06:29 PM
When we built our box we ran a liberal amount of wood glued along all surfaces that were to be adjoined. Then we screwed them together allowing the wood glue to theoretically create a seal. It does push out a lot of extra glue but a rag cleans it up easy. I used some free software to come up with my port dimensions. Don’t really remember what it was called exactly or if it gave me the right numbers but you basically input some info about your sub and boom, it tells you how long your port needs to be and how big of an opening ect. It sounds good to my untrained ears lol

rdlangston13
03-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Here is the box I built for our WetSounds XS-12. Maybe MLA can tell me if it is tuned right lol. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180306/9f81495d7702af56929a6bf784b78622.jpg

jbird
03-06-2018, 07:01 PM
3/4" Birch ply, epoxy paint, screws and wood glue and built it to the recommended volume that Exile recommended. Sounds good to me but I'm no professional by any means...

rdlangston13
03-06-2018, 07:49 PM
3/4" Birch ply, epoxy paint, screws and wood glue and built it to the recommended volume that Exile recommended. Sounds good to me but I'm no professional by any means...

What the hell is their volume requirement??? That thing looks huge!

MLA
03-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Ok, so let's say I would go the route of building my own enclosed box. What sort of sealing is necessary? Is there anything needed on the interior of the box?
For the wiring harness in the back, I assume that insert you added yourself. Or is that the back of the sub? If not, where did you find that part? Do you have to branch the wires to the port from the sub and then out to the amp (as in two separate sets of wires)?

A marine box made form wood, needs to be completely water proof, inside and out. A Q-bomb from amazon, is not, sorry. They are not even assembled very well. I strongly suggest a custom enclosure, over a store bought one. That boat is going to dictate the shape and dimensions due to the steering cable and the bilge vent duct work thats part of the hull. A store bought box means you get what you get, whether it fits the boat or the woofer.

What you see is a terminal cap. Its an electrical pass-through. Some just drill a hole and stick the wires through right to the woofer. Electrically, the only change is the factory sub wires connect to the box now, not the woofer. Theres a jumper that connects between the woofer and the terminal cap.

RC_Hinojosa
03-06-2018, 09:04 PM
A marine box made form wood, needs to be completely water proof, inside and out. A Q-bomb from amazon, is not, sorry. They are not even assembled very well. I strongly suggest a custom enclosure, over a store bought one.

Not throwing shade but you completely missed the gist. He's got a KM10, not a W7, not a XXX...

It's a $150 factory sub. Not sure how many would spend the time or money on something custom for what amounts to a participation award from Kicker.

MLA
03-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Not throwing shade but you completely missed the gist. He's got a KM10, not a W7, not a XXX...

It's a $150 factory sub. Not sure how many would spend the time or money on something custom for what amounts to a participation award from Kicker.

LOL, I think you've missed it. I know exactly what woofer he has, Ive been an authorized Kicker dealer/installer for 10+ years. It may the factory 10" woofer, but its the best damn sounding marine 10" on the market. Custom does not mean waste of money, it means getting the most out of what the woofer has to offer. Every woofer deserves that, regardless of price. Kicker builds one hell of a woofer. Built from the ground up as a marine woofer, not a car woofer passed off as marine. The KM is extremely musical and an excellent performer, when done correctly, Is it high power handling? Not necessarily, but compare it to other marine 10" woofers. Will it compare to a W7 or a wet sounds 12 XXX? No, and neither will any other 10".

You might be surprised by the KM, when hearing one executed correctly.

Just an FYI for others following along, Kicker has a KM12 coming out, as well as a true IB KM10 and KM12. Thats 3 nea woofers on the way. Just note though, some of these boats just wont support an IB woofer.

As to who would spend the time and money, Dale was blown away with the difference in the woofer once we got done with it.

RC_Hinojosa
03-06-2018, 09:33 PM
LOL, I think you've missed it. I know exactly what woofer he has, Ive been an authorized Kicker dealer/installer for 10+ years. It may the factory 10" woofer, but its the best damn sounding marine 10" on the market. Custom does not mean waste of money, it means getting the most out of what the woofer has to offer. Every woofer deserves that, regardless of price. Kicker builds one hell of a woofer. Built from the ground up as a marine woofer, not a car woofer passed off as marine. The KM is extremely musical and an excellent performer, when done correctly, Is it high power handling? Not necessarily, but compare it to other marine 10" woofers. Will it compare to a W7 or a wet sounds 12 XXX? No, and neither will any other 10".

You might be surprised by the KM, when hearing one executed correctly.

Just an FYI for others following along, Kicker has a KM12 coming out, as well as a true IB KM10 and KM12. Thats 3 nea woofers on the way. Just note though, some of these boats just wont support an IB woofer.

As to who would spend the time and money, Dale was blown away with the difference in the woofer once we got done with it.Let's not forget Kicker's upcoming hlcd offerings... better late than never.

jbird
03-07-2018, 11:30 AM
I don't have the actual dimensions handy but it's around 2cf +/-

What the hell is their volume requirement??? That thing looks huge!

rdlangston13
03-07-2018, 12:43 PM
I don't have the actual dimensions handy but it's around 2cf +/-

mine was 1.7 cuft and looks like it is half the size of yours lol

MMPRES
03-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Great insight! I'll look to have further questions down the road after I pull the boat out of storage.

rdlangston13
03-07-2018, 05:28 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180307/6802f4736f08b6ca28e9754a690d8e7c.jpg

Here is a decent picture of mine being built. Did I measure 1.7 cuft wrong??

MLA
03-07-2018, 05:56 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180307/6802f4736f08b6ca28e9754a690d8e7c.jpg

Here is a decent picture of mine being built. Did I measure 1.7 cuft wrong??

How close is this enclosure to the illustration on the previous page? Looks narrower then 23" and port width is narrower then 14". The illustration on the previous page comes out to about 2.2 gross internal.

Cody
03-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Do we need to rebuild this? :shock:

RC_Hinojosa
03-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Do we need to rebuild this? :shock:<popping popcorn> [emoji23]

rdlangston13
03-07-2018, 10:00 PM
How close is this enclosure to the illustration on the previous page? Looks narrower then 23" and port width is narrower then 14". The illustration on the previous page comes out to about 2.2 gross internal.

I subtracted the volume of the sub and the port to get real close to 1.7 feet. Is that doing it wrong? I think we adjusted the port down to 9” x 2”.

MLA
03-07-2018, 10:15 PM
I subtracted the volume of the sub and the port to get real close to 1.7 feet. Is that doing it wrong? I think we adjusted the port down to 9” x 2”.

That will get you your net internal, however, changing the port width without then adjusting the length, changes the original tuning Hz. Not saying its now whacked, just stating the effects of making any change.

rdlangston13
03-07-2018, 10:18 PM
That will get you your net internal, however, changing the port width without then adjusting the length, changes the original tuning Hz. Not saying its now whacked, just stating the effects of making any change.

Yeah the change to port width was made strictly for tuning purposes. I think the original one wasn’t right for the application. We tweaked the volume via the overall width of the box.

So when volume spec from the manufacturer should be the over volume of the box without taking into account the volume of the port and the sub?

MLA
03-07-2018, 10:48 PM
Yeah the change to port width was made strictly for tuning purposes. I think the original one wasn’t right for the application. We tweaked the volume via the overall width of the box.

So when volume spec from the manufacturer should be the over volume of the box without taking into account the volume of the port and the sub?

If the suggested volume for example was 1.7, that would be after the woofer mass and port structure is deducted. The fun part is if you need to change the port length, it changes the net volume, which again effects the tuning Hz, resulting in another port length change.

wildman
04-23-2020, 12:28 PM
No need to apologize.

Yes, you can build a simple square/rectangle enclosure to go behind the woofer/wall with the wall being back in about its original location.

Quality .75" ply of MDF. The trick is in the construction and sealing. Devil's in the details.

infinite baffle means BIG box behind the woofer, rather then a small box. These boats cannot support the IB using the helm cavity as the box because the wall the woofer is mounted to, is open at the top. Think of a window AC unit set on the kitchen table expecting it to produce cold AC and cool the room. Cold air is supposed to come out the front but we have hot air as a byproduct coming of the back of the window AC unit. The hot and cold air mix, making it not effective.

Putting the woofer an actual box is like putting the window unit in the window as is needs to be. No we get the proper cold air, or bass if you will.

Yep, ported box does breath. It has a tuned opening. Not just an opening, but its tuned like any other musical instrument. the 1.5 ft3 refers to the internal air volume and 38Hz is the tuned frequency, in hertz, that the port is tuned to. Yes, port is best firing into the cabin along side the woofer. We get more output from a ported, but the trade off is a larger pox, more complicated to build and harder to fit in the boat.

MLA,
for starters, I don't know much about audio....but I am a DIY kinda guy. Following this tread and you have my interest up on making a box for my sub. I believe I have the same sub as you. Wet sounds package with two amps, two tower speakers, two bow speakers, sub, four lounger area speakers. 2017 craz. Can you send me your sub box specifications / drawings if you have them? Also, how do you retune the amp?

MLA
04-24-2020, 10:17 AM
@wildman,

IIRC, a 2017 would have come with a Kicker KM10 4 ohm woofer. In this case, it absolutely needs to be placed in a small sealed or ported enclosure. .85 ft3 net internal would be my minimum for a sealed, and 1.0 ft3 sealed being ideal. For ported, id shoot for 1.5 ft3 to 1,75 ft3 net internal.