PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Kids Vests Ages 2-5

Bonte4
02-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Looking for recommendations for kids vests, have a 2yr old and 4yr old and we bought neoprene vests last year (first year with our boat) but they are not coast guard approved and we could be ticketed I believe in Michigan not to mention Id like them wearing an appropriate vest, thx!

DFTR Josh
02-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Stop in your local shop and try a few on for best results, especially when it comes to kids.

MJHSupra
02-26-2018, 04:48 PM
Plenty of CGA ones out there. Different brands. Better luck at a marine store or local shop or online vs Walmart.

For the little biddy ones, I like the pillows attached to the back, it helps them support their head when floating around. The loops in the back are also helpful for lifting them on the swim platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prospersigman
02-26-2018, 04:52 PM
https://www.amazon.com/TRC-Recreation-Child-Super-Soft-Marina/dp/B000GYEXVC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1519678216&sr=8-20&keywords=kids+life+jackets+30-50+lbs

These life jackets are great for kids. We have used these for years when our kids were 3-6 years old. They do not rub them raw under the arms and they do not hold any water at all so they do not get wet and cold.

KG's Supra24
02-26-2018, 05:26 PM
^^ Yep, we've had success with those or the cheap orange ones.

All the neoprene ones we bought seemed to be too bulky to be comfortable.

trayson
02-26-2018, 07:43 PM
https://www.amazon.com/TRC-Recreation-Child-Super-Soft-Marina/dp/B000GYEXVC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1519678216&sr=8-20&keywords=kids+life+jackets+30-50+lbs

These life jackets are great for kids. We have used these for years when our kids were 3-6 years old. They do not rub them raw under the arms and they do not hold any water at all so they do not get wet and cold.

Whoa! those are super retro! Like me when I was learing how to water ski in the mid 70s!

https://i.imgur.com/vooEc3u.jpg

dusty2221
02-26-2018, 07:44 PM
And they still work better than anything we tried for our little one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

zabooda
02-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Ages 2-5 need USCG approved PFDs with the ability to keep the head up (flap behind the head) and prevent falling out of the PFD with a crotch strap. Toddlers do not know how to keep themselves upright and they will bob around and ingest water. Check with your local water safety organization if you need help. The non-USCG PFDs need to be tossed as there is no purpose in having them or anyone else. It is the hardest part for me when I go out with dive rescue and have to recover a young kid where no life jacket was ever used but a less than adequate PFD has the potential to produce the same results.

jmvotto
02-26-2018, 09:14 PM
Check sams club. Bought some great ones for our kids nice soft cga approved with handles They go quick early in the season very affordable

Bonte4
02-26-2018, 10:32 PM
Thanks all for the input, going to check out the local boat shop and focus on vests with neck supports and the obvious, CGA. Is it boating season yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darter
02-27-2018, 12:22 PM
We've had great luck finding at Sam's Club, Fleet Farm, and Walmart, in that order. Stearns, Obrien, and Body Glove... nothing over $40, IIRC. They pretty much only fit for a season or two before they move up to the next size, so cheaper is better in my book. We started getting better ones closer to the pre-teen to teen years since they fit a bit longer then. Of course, if you don't have 3 kids to get them for, you're not buying as many. ;)

gregski
02-28-2018, 11:24 AM
We always carry at least 2 per kid. It's a little annoying from a storage perspective but it goes a long ways toward happiness when you just need a different option. Also, we use the Puddle jumper style for swimming (like water wings with a chest section - you see them at pools all the time). These are USCG approved (surprised me) but really we just use them while moored and they are swimming with an adult. Then, when we get back in the boat, we switch back to a dry vest style and everyone is happy.

I know everyone is talking about the models with a head support. I know they are better from a safety perspective, but somewhere around 2-3 years old, comfort (and thus happiness) overruled that style for us.

steinkda1984
03-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Our kids have been in life jackets since they were 2. When in the boat they wear the Speedo jacket. These things are great, such a good swim aid and very comfortable for them. And most importantly keep their heads above water which to me passes all the tests I need. I know we don't get parents of the year award because they aren't coast guard approved, but you try putting a big thick hot life jacket on 4 kids under 5 and have an enjoyable boating experience.
When they get behind the boat they wear the hyperlite jacket which they enjoy because its the "wakesurf jacket" which are at Costco for $19.99 right now.
In my experience with the head support jackets, good luck. We have had several infants on the boat with those and they cry the entire time. Hot, restraining, and uncomfortable.

Final thought, we have been stopped by the DNR several times and each time they have never asked to see if the Speedo jackets were coast guard approved. If they did we do have enough coast guard approved on board to switch them into. I guess having small kids on a boat is kinda pain, you need a ton of jackets.[emoji26]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180302/f3dd96f3b35b10edb4b04a6e3ed461f1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180302/1f35799a7d3a5d3e9ac4da9f63916b4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

aapwayneo2001
03-03-2018, 10:25 PM
I got a CWB from the local dealer