PDA

View Full Version : Question about lead/steel ballast permanently in a Max

Humbucker427
02-19-2018, 05:04 PM
I've been toying with the idea of putting 750 lbs of lead/steel bags per side under the seats in my Max when it gets here. I was planning on just leaving the additional weight in permanently. The boat will be stored on a lift and I was just wondering if there was any kind of danger in adding 1500 lbs total to the support structure (hull, stringers, etc) since it will be resting solely on two runners.

Any thoughts?

parrothd
02-19-2018, 11:47 PM
No, but you better buy a lift that can handle the weight

Humbucker427
02-21-2018, 12:50 AM
Ya think? Lol... I have a 7500 lb lift.

parrothd
02-21-2018, 08:03 AM
I dunno, your the one asking. You'll be near the max of the lift with people on board.

Humbucker427
02-21-2018, 08:22 AM
I'm not worried about the lift. The lift can easily support the boat with the additional weight. What I was asking about is whether or not the additional weight would cause undo stress on the stringers or the hull when on the lift. Naturally, the boat can handle much more in the water since the water distributes pressure evenly across the hull, but on a lift with two runners all that weight is now pressing down on two narrow strips. Truth be told, it's probably a question better answered by the engineers at Skiers Choice.