PDA

View Full Version : Anyone purchased/made a teak deck for Supra

Zim
02-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Most Supra boats come with a fiberglass deck, and mine is no exception. My deck is starting to delaminate on the bottom side from water intrusion into the fiberglass, so I'm looking at some options of replacement.

I've always liked teak, and would prefer to go that direction if possible. Has anyone put a teak deck on the 2006 era boats? I'd likely look at something with the same shape as the newer Supras to keep from having the deck cut into the surf wave as much as it does now. I thought about buying some teak lumber locally and cutting/building it the way I want it, but not sure my skillset will make that worth my while. I also contact Teak World Enterprises to get a quote on having them do one, but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone aware of any other options? Anyone done something similar and have an idea of cost involved?

kaneboats
02-20-2018, 11:55 AM
I think the teak looks really cool but will never have it again. The comfort of the modern padded platforms (sea dek, gator step, hydorturf, etc.) is unmatched by anything from the old days. You can even get the "teak look" if you want. I tend to climb out onto my knees. No more teak for me. Good luck!

mcjimmy33
02-20-2018, 08:31 PM
I don’t have any help for you but I love a nice looking teak deck, was sad to lose it when I switched to my moomba. I say go for it and I want some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

996scott
02-21-2018, 11:26 AM
my buddy just made a new swim deck for his Master Craft using Birch I think. He then oiled it and it looks exactly like teak. He said that teak is really expensive and he can make 3 decks out of Birch for the same cost as 1 out of teak.

Darter
02-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Hopefully it's not birch. Birch isn't naturally rot resistant.

I'd like to do this project too, but teak is crazy expensive. Finding a used teak deck and refinishing and adapting the shape as needed would be far more practical.

It's about as indestructible as wood gets, so reclaiming an old deck, even from another brand boat, should be very doable.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

korey
02-21-2018, 12:33 PM
I was surprised to see that the current Mastercraft NXT either has an option for - or the base option is - a wood platform. They call it Garapa Gold wood:
http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/detail/Wood-Platform-Care

http://cobleskischool.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_20170612_073438100_HDR-300x169.jpg

Darter
02-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Garapa is MUCH cheaper than teak and oils up just like it. It's harder and heavier (both good IMO), but not termite resistant, for those concerned about that (is that even a concern, perhaps only in off season storage?)

Should make an excellent substitute for teak. I guess this project just move up on my list of to-dos...

korey
02-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Teak may be ENDANGERED now so anything that you can buy is either old stock or sourced in a not-so-legal (at least unsustainable) manner. They say that it takes a teak tree 75-120 years to reach maturity, so that kind of explains that!

Fastest1
02-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Garapa is MUCH cheaper than teak and oils up just like it. It's harder and heavier (both good IMO), but not termite resistant, for those concerned about that (is that even a concern, perhaps only in off season storage?)

Should make an excellent substitute for teak. I guess this project just move up on my list of to-dos...

Generally termites like wood with earth contact.
Maybe dont tilt the boat so high the platform touches the ground ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

996scott
02-22-2018, 03:46 PM
my buddy just made a new swim deck for his Master Craft using Birch I think. He then oiled it and it looks exactly like teak. He said that teak is really expensive and he can make 3 decks out of Birch for the same cost as 1 out of teak.

Ok, my bad. I just checked with my buddy and he said it was a mahogany.

Zim
02-22-2018, 06:43 PM
I've heard some kind of African Mahogony works well... I'll have to look into it. I suppose I could try to source a used one also and refurb it.