PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Olympic Sport to Watch?

deerfield
02-19-2018, 09:41 AM
With fourteen Winter Olympic sport disciplines, could not fit them all into the survey (limit is ten). Sorry about that.

1. Bobsled
2. Luge
3. Skeleton
4. Hockey
5. Figure Skating
6. Speed Skating
7. Curling
8. Alpine Skiing
9. Freestyle Skiing
10. Snowboarding
11. Biathlon
12. Cross-Country Skiing
13. Ski Jumping
14. Nordic Combined

Got favorites to watch?

For me its speed skating, ski jumping, alpine downhill, and biathlon.

Any winter or summer Olympic athletes on the Moomba forum?

Got an Olympic athlete in your family?

Hope you are enjoying the competition!

sandm
02-19-2018, 04:21 PM
interesting that 16 years ago or so everyone I knew glued to the tv watching/talking about it. 4 years ago and even moreso this year, have not watched a single minute of it and it's not even a low level conversation at work. I don't know a single person tuning in. went to the sportsbar for dinner last friday night and of the 30+ tv's it was not center stage and only playing on a couple in the corner.
probably part of the reason several sponsors abruptly ended sponsorship and I would think NBC is not going to be happy with an average 8% decline in viewership.

Darter
02-19-2018, 07:42 PM
Alpine skiing is my first pick since I do it, but not competitively (NASTAR in high school was as far as I ever took it).

Snowboarding is second because I wish I could do it, but haven't gotten the hang of edging. Can't figure it out.

Relay speedskating, cause it looks like a roller derby.

Luge and skeleton are always a good watch because it always looks like something really bad is about to happen, even though injuries are almost non-existent.

Biathalon, because skiing uphill through the woods and then shooting at tiny targets at 50 yards while out of breath is impressive.

russellsmojo
02-19-2018, 08:35 PM
interesting that 16 years ago or so everyone I knew glued to the tv watching/talking about it. 4 years ago and even moreso this year, have not watched a single minute of it and it's not even a low level conversation at work. I don't know a single person tuning in. went to the sportsbar for dinner last friday night and of the 30+ tv's it was not center stage and only playing on a couple in the corner.
probably part of the reason several sponsors abruptly ended sponsorship and I would think NBC is not going to be happy with an average 8% decline in viewership.

Man did not know it was that bad. I watch it every night and just last week spent a round of golf talking with three buddies that have been glued to it.

Is it possible 8% is because of the many different avenues to watch versus 16 years ago?

My least favorite sport is doubles luge, Just plain gross. Unless my doubles partner was Silje Norendal. [emoji123]

Love all the other sports!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
02-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Even though I'm a snowboarder, I kinda like the freestyle skiing. I just think skiiers look so cool in the air compared to us snowboarders.

We've been watching TONS of the olympics. I even bought a TV antenna and mounted it on the roof of my house so we could watch the NBC high def broadcasts for free. On Valentines Day, my wife and I did dinner and movie, and the bar we had happy hour at in downtown Portland had the Olympics on most of their screens (NBC and NBCSN).

As far as Olympic Athletes, my wife didn't compete in any Olympics, but she competed at Junior Nationals/worlds. She was a pairs figure skater. When she went pro, she competed on the US international team. She has some "team USA" and US Figure skating gear from when she competed. It's pretty cool to know that my wife used to throw triple's. :-)

When she transitioned into coaching, she had athletes under her that competed at US Nationals.

Obviously, we watch almost all the figure skating events given my wife's brackground. :-)

jmvotto
02-19-2018, 11:43 PM
French ice dancing ......

kaneboats
02-20-2018, 11:36 AM
I've never snowboarded but I like watching all of it. It's just friggin' cool. Love the slalom, downhill and super G although I'm a crappy skier that hasn't been in several years. Watch a lot of the figure skating and ice dancing with my wife. It's pretty impressive what they can do. Lately been getting more into the speed skating too. I've been watching it every night while I read on my tablet so only about 50% attention.

I will say the NBC has been doing a horrific job of making the olympics relevant. Time for a new approach.

sivs1
02-20-2018, 11:52 AM
French ice dancing ......

Only if there is a wardrobe malfunction?

:o

zabooda
02-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Hockey and watch Lindsey Vonn fall on her arse.

rdlangston13
02-20-2018, 03:41 PM
I have been glued to the TV every day since it started. I really enjoy all the snow boarding events. I also like some skiing like watching pretty much all the skiing with the exception of cross country and biathlon. I appreciate the skill involved in those two but it’s brutal to watch, especially since we suck so bad at it. I started watching curling more this year and talk about a game that requires some skill! I’ve been watching hockey too when USA is playing. Hope our women can take down Canada!

KG's Supra24
02-21-2018, 12:26 PM
My favorite to watch is probably the Alpine skiing. I enjoy watching all the mountain sports, though.

I agree NBC's coverage approach is somewhat weak. There is very little new in the presentation. I'm intrigued by the stats and times but they provide very little on screen analysis. It's usually just a quick comparison pop up that quickly disappears.

I also noticed there were several events where the athlete had just started participating in the sport within the last 6 to 12 months. Seems the Olympic organization is stretching to get more competition and viewership.

dusty2221
02-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Did anyone catch Elilzabeth Swaney from Hungry on the halfpipe?

https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/status/965746567192997889

5:00
02-21-2018, 01:41 PM
I like the snowboard and ski events.
I agree with others that this has been a lack luster broadcast. They aren't doing a lot of human interest stories and they ones they are presenting aren't that in depth. They used to interview a lot of people and put together stories with video that connected you with the athletes. I haven't seen any medal ceremonies or even replays of them. Last night was just almost straight two hours of women's downhill. It just got monotonous after a while.
It just seems to be budget broadcasting. Last night they had a host that neither my wife or myself even recognized. They didn't want to pay for any big guns to come in and host the programs. There is a reason you pay for a name, they can make it more interesting.

rdlangston13
02-21-2018, 03:17 PM

Yes and it was a joke. Not sure what point she is trying to make.

rdlangston13
02-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Last night they had a host that neither my wife or myself even recognized. They didn't want to pay for any big guns to come in and host the programs. There is a reason you pay for a name, they can make it more interesting.

I have to change the channel whenever that Wier dude comes on. I can’t take all that, too much.

trayson
02-21-2018, 03:34 PM

Yes and it was a joke. Not sure what point she is trying to make.

The only good I see coming of it is that they're changing the process for qualifying and quotas. Kind of embarrassing IMO. On the other hand, I think by 2022 I could EASILY be ready for my Olympic debut. I just need some obscure country to let me compete for them!

trayson
02-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Team Pursuit speed skating is kinda cool. I like seeing the drafting and teamwork. Of course short track is just nuts.

rdlangston13
02-22-2018, 03:24 AM
What a Hockey game! Our girls are bringing home the Gold for the first time in 20 years!! Way to go girls! USA USA USA!!![emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji970][emoji970][emoji970][emoji970][emoji970]🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇

kaneboats
02-22-2018, 01:41 PM
They didn't want to pay for any big guns to come in and host the programs. There is a reason you pay for a name, they can make it more interesting.

Well they paid for one name and she certainly made it interesting even if she is a complete idiot.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/02/12/nbc-s-katie-couric-mocked-for-comments-about-dutch-speed-skating-team.html

trayson
02-22-2018, 01:49 PM
I have to change the channel whenever that Wier dude comes on. I can’t take all that, too much.

They just announced last night that Tara and Jonny will be commentating for the closing ceremonies... LOL. Some people love him, others love to hate him. I think that Tara and Jonny are getting attention and ratings, exactly what NBC wants.

rdlangston13
02-22-2018, 01:51 PM
They just announced last night that Tara and Jonny will be commentating for the closing ceremonies... LOL. Some people love him, others love to hate him. I think that Tara and Jonny are getting attention and ratings, exactly what NBC wants.

Not getting any ratings from my tv. As soon as he shows up I change the channel. Watching him is like watching one of those videos where someone breaks their leg in half. I just can’t, grosses me out.

Prospersigman
02-22-2018, 03:06 PM
I know Jonny confuses the crap out of my 10 year old son..."dad is he a girl or a boy?"

trayson
02-22-2018, 03:17 PM
"dad is he a girl or a boy?"

Yes. :-o :p

kaneboats
02-23-2018, 11:20 AM
I know Jonny confuses the crap out of my 10 year old son..."dad is he a girl or a boy?"

Son, that's one of those things we'll never know-- hell, he doesn't even know.

MJHSupra
02-04-2019, 09:11 AM
From last year to this year, one thing holds true: NBC sucks!!

Arcadyus
06-18-2019, 09:41 AM
CBD, or cannabidiol, is experiencing big popularity, and vaping is one of the easiest and most pleasant ways to ingest it. CBD is a compound found in cannabis plants that can be extracted from marijuana or industrial hemp and processed for ingestion in oral and edible products, or for inhalation in e-liquid (usually called CBD vape). The most commonly reported effects of CBD are pain relief, relaxation, anxiety relief and an overall development in mood. … Here are the most commonly experienced effects associated with CBD Vape online (https://www.globalgreenshop.com/product-tag/buy-cbd-vape-online/). When CBD vape for sale, you will feel the effects faster than using an oral tincture or an edible product. Buy CBD Products (https://www.globalgreenshop.com/product-tag/buy-cbd-vape-online/).

Vaping CBD is a more powerful method of ingestion than eating it or applying it topically, because the inhalation provides greater bio quality. That means the user can absorb more of the drug. While there is still more to learn about the long-term effects of vaping CBD, vaping is reviewed to be a much safer way to consume than smoking, while being equally effective. Since it can also be taken orally, you don’t have to be a vaper or smoker to use CBD oil.

A lot of this is bullshit. I vote for hockey