PDA

View Full Version : Slide in Truck Camper and towing

sivs1
01-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Curious, how many of you have a slide in truck campers and also tow your boat?

I'm looking to get a camper for my truck and of course want to tow the boat as well. What I am finding is there are very few campers on the market that do not hang over past the bumper so then you have to extend the trailer hitch.

Whose doing this?
Pros?
Cons?
What are you using?
Any pictures to share?

I don't want a 5th wheel.

KG's Supra24
01-25-2018, 12:44 PM
You sure the Titan can handle that? Haha, jk.

Cab Over Campers were discussed on Wakeworld a little while back.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807675&page=99999

Shoebox
01-25-2018, 12:44 PM
I haven't towed my boat yet, but if/when I do, I will install the Torklift Superhitch with their Superhitch extension, possibly with a weight distributing hitch. My small enclosed trailer doesn't have nearly the tongue weight of my boat. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180125/56aa92993a86f6a2c029938267a783e4.jpg

zabooda
01-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Nice setup Shoe. Be sure to do the proper towing derating with the stinger. I wouldn't do the camper/boat combination with less than a 3/4 ton truck.

Shoebox
01-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Nice setup Shoe. Be sure to do the proper towing derating with the stinger. I wouldn't do the camper/boat combination with less than a 3/4 ton truck.I did, it's about 600 lbs. I wouldn't do it with less than a 1 ton unless it's a pop-up camper or something equally light.

sivs1
01-25-2018, 02:27 PM
You sure the Titan can handle that? Haha, jk.

Cab Over Campers were discussed on Wakeworld a little while back.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807675&page=99999

thats a good link, it's crazy what people can and will do. The Titan XD is actually built on a 1 ton frame, so it can handle a decent payload. I'm only looking at a 1,500 lbs dry weight camper.

trayson
01-25-2018, 04:14 PM
I've thought about it with our F150, but keeping it to a popup truck camper that didn't have enough overhang to require a stinger. Something like the Palomino backpack series. Of course, if you do end up with something short enough to fit in a 6.5 bed with no overhang, you're not going to be able to have a toilet/shower.

In the end, I haven't pulled the trigger on anything. The idea of having to remove the hard tonneau, mount the camper, and reverse at the end hasn't been incredibly motivating when it's the wife's daily driver. And while it'd certainly give us more freedom and options for the summertime camping trips, that's only a 2 to 3 times a summer. We've been able to get Cabins with moorage at the state parts and are still money ahead.

FWIW, I do have the airbags in the rear, so that would be a big help if we ever did it.

sivs1
01-25-2018, 04:28 PM
I've thought about it with our F150, but keeping it to a popup truck camper that didn't have enough overhang to require a stinger. Something like the Palomino backpack series. Of course, if you do end up with something short enough to fit in a 6.5 bed with no overhang, you're not going to be able to have a toilet/shower.

In the end, I haven't pulled the trigger on anything. The idea of having to remove the hard tonneau, mount the camper, and reverse at the end hasn't been incredibly motivating when it's the wife's daily driver. And while it'd certainly give us more freedom and options for the summertime camping trips, that's only a 2 to 3 times a summer. We've been able to get Cabins with moorage at the state parts and are still money ahead.

FWIW, I do have the airbags in the rear, so that would be a big help if we ever did it.

Thats what we're thinking, some type of pop-up. We're within driving distance to so many national parks we can easily do weekend trips. we also have a number of lakes within two hours that we could hit up for a quick overnighter if we wanted to. We're looking at one for a trip down the CA cost to San Diego, so long trip with over night stays on the way.

trayson
01-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Thats what we're thinking, some type of pop-up. We're within driving distance to so many national parks we can easily do weekend trips. we also have a number of lakes within two hours that we could hit up for a quick overnighter if we wanted to. We're looking at one for a trip down the CA cost to San Diego, so long trip with over night stays on the way.

I like the idea of the soft sided campers with the shorter floor length for no stinger. I'd have to try before I pulled the trigger, but the Palomino SS550 supposedly has a 6.5' floor length.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2017-palomino-ss-500/

And they have the SS600 and SS650 that I think have a 7' floor length. Again, no toilet/shower and it'd be really hard to sleep 4. But your son is old enough to be in a tent and your daughter will be there in no time. (although, you could easily make one of them a bed in the rear seat of the truck.)

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/Palomino-SS-500-exterior.jpg

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/Palomino-SS-500-truck-camper-floor-plan.jpg

trayson
01-25-2018, 04:53 PM
But like I said, getting a cabin is better than having a camper. But we can't always get a cabin (because they're gone at the stoke of midnight 9 months in advance).

So we tried this over Labor Day weekend. It was do-able for a weekend trip. But I don't think I'd wanna do it for a whole week. And obviously it was just the wife and I in the tent.

https://i.imgur.com/tc7R8SQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SIL8xBI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dRg7vSC.jpg

Pound
01-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Can I just say, this thread makes me happy. Discussing such things means spring is around the corner.

Shoebox
01-25-2018, 05:47 PM
I like the idea of the soft sided campers with the shorter floor length for no stinger. I'd have to try before I pulled the trigger, but the Palomino SS550 supposedly has a 6.5' floor length.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2017-palomino-ss-500/

And they have the SS600 and SS650 that I think have a 7' floor length. Again, no toilet/shower and it'd be really hard to sleep 4. But your son is old enough to be in a tent and your daughter will be there in no time. (although, you could easily make one of them a bed in the rear seat of the truck.)

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/Palomino-SS-500-exterior.jpg

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/Palomino-SS-500-truck-camper-floor-plan.jpgIf you're camping in campgrounds you won't necessarily need a toilet or shower.

sivs1
01-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Can I just say, this thread makes me happy. Discussing such things means spring is around the corner.

I'm glad I can offer it up! Days are getting longer.

sivs1
01-25-2018, 06:16 PM

Trayson, here's an option.

KG's Supra24
01-25-2018, 06:27 PM
I could see myself using one but I know my wife better than to try it for both of us. 4 people ... that's gonna get super tight.

We were in a similar situation, wanting to visit all the state parks nearby. Since the lake we frequent is only 30 min away, we ended up with a 5th wheel and I make 2 trips on a lot of weekends. We do have a 2nd vehicle that is capable of towing but we haven't taken the boat with us for any long distance camping. Most of the other state parks in our area aren't lake based so the boat stays home.

trayson
01-26-2018, 01:55 PM
Trayson, here's an option.

I like it. I like it a lot.
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/2016-travel-lite-625-super-lite-review/

That's exactly how I'd wanna roll. With the tailgate on and up, so I could use it as a porch while camping--especially with the factory tailgate step ladder. Plus not losing the backup cam and PDC would be nice.

trayson
01-26-2018, 02:11 PM
That said, I really like the darker exterior color and the smooth siding a lot better of the newer one you posted.

rdlangston13
01-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Even though that 625 says it is for a half ton truck I think you will be exceeding the capabilities of most all half tons. The thing weighs 1265 lbs empty, add 20 lb bottle of propane, battery, 9 gallons of water, and gear you are knocking on the door of 1500 lbs. They you have to factor in yourself and any passengers, fuel in the truck, and tongue weight of the boat. I don't see ANY half ton truck having a payload that high since you are now well into the 2,000 lbs range. This seems only feasible for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

zabooda
01-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Even though that 625 says it is for a half ton truck I think you will be exceeding the capabilities of most all half tons. The thing weighs 1265 lbs empty, add 20 lb bottle of propane, battery, 9 gallons of water, and gear you are knocking on the door of 1500 lbs. They you have to factor in yourself and any passengers, fuel in the truck, and tongue weight of the boat. I don't see ANY half ton truck having a payload that high since you are now well into the 2,000 lbs range. This seems only feasible for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Total agree. Besides the equipment to have a water system takes up space and adds weight for something that will give you 9 gallons of water. With a half ton truck, all you can really work toward is a comfortable place to sleep and get out of the weather. You have bathrooms at the campground and if a shower isn't available you have the lake to take a bath. A refrigerator is one of the most important components as that can keep you camping long after everyone's ice has melted away. Do your cooking and clean dishes outside and dump the water on a thirsty shrub (except for Oregon - another story). Have a good leveling system so you can easily disconnect the camper from the truck so you can launch and pull the boat and to drive places. Lower the camper to the ground so you don't have the steps to climb.

trayson
01-26-2018, 06:55 PM
:twisted:

Don't worry, none of us would ever go over max tow, payload, or ballast capacities! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

rdlangston13
01-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Haha. I know I have exceeded the pay load in my truck but not by as much as this camper with a boat in tow would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivs1
02-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Put a deposit down on one last night.

DFTR Josh
02-15-2018, 12:01 PM
RV show is this weekend, did they have "show" specials at all?

trayson
02-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Get some airbags for the truck!

sivs1
02-15-2018, 12:04 PM
RV show is this weekend, did they have "show" specials at all?

Absolutely. Not many dealers sell Truck Campers.

DFTR Josh
02-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Absolutely. Not many dealers sell Truck Campers.
When you posted about it at first I wondered if they still make them things. Congrats on moving forward, excited to see the whole setup together.

sivs1
02-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Get some airbags for the truck!

We'll see what it does, camper plus the boat, am sure it will squat.

trayson
02-15-2018, 12:17 PM
What model are you going with? The one you posted earlier?

trayson
02-15-2018, 12:34 PM
When you posted about it at first I wondered if they still make them things. Congrats on moving forward, excited to see the whole setup together.

You see tons of truck campers in the PNW. Very popular with hunters. And they're always quite a few every weekend in the parking lot of the ski resort. And lots at the campgrounds at the lake during the summer for boating obviously.

sivs1
02-15-2018, 12:51 PM
What model are you going with? The one you posted earlier?

This was a challenge for us, of course a pickle fork boat needs more space between the tow rig and front of the boat, so length was a concern. Most campers only sleep 2 or 3, not 4 like we need. We wanted 4 season, so pop-up was not really an option. We wanted a bathroom, turns out to not exist in the length we need. So we had to compromise. We are going with the Travel Lite 770R with a shower inside and shower outside. Only sleeps 3, but has space for 4. Will only need an 8 inch hitch extension for the boat and when fully loaded will be about 1,500 pounds. It comes with heater and A/C full cooking setup all the hookups and can be self contained if we just want to go off the path.

trayson
02-15-2018, 12:58 PM
This was a challenge for us, of course a pickle fork boat needs more space between the tow rig and front of the boat, so length was a concern. Most campers only sleep 2 or 3, not 4 like we need. We wanted 4 season, so pop-up was not really an option. We wanted a bathroom, turns out to not exist in the length we need. So we had to compromise. We are going with the Travel Lite 770R with a shower inside and shower outside. Only sleeps 3, but has space for 4. Will only need an 8 inch hitch extension for the boat and when fully loaded will be about 1,500 pounds. It comes with heater and A/C full cooking setup all the hookups and can be self contained if we just want to go off the path.

Wow! That's definitely gonna have all the features you want and then some. You're going to really be maxing out your truck, but you already know that. I guess worst case scenario you end up upgrading your truck in the future (which you end up doing anyway ever few years).